Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remove directory that has special Characters Post 302169588 by datherriault on Thursday 21st of February 2008 04:08:52 PM
Old 02-21-2008
$ rmdir -f '-_12'
rmdir: illegal option -- _
rmdir: illegal option -- 1
rmdir: illegal option -- 2
Usage: rmdir [-fip] dirname ...

i2batch@phgp0486 [/interfaces/ip/pep/in/Run]
$ cd '-_12'
ksh: cd: bad option(s)

i2batch@phgp0486 [/interfaces/ip/pep/in/Run]
$ rm -f '-_12'
rm: illegal option -- _
rm: illegal option -- 1
rm: illegal option -- 2
Usage: rm [-Rfir] file ...

Same problem. I did check if there were any character before the dash by using ls -lb
$ ls -lb
total 30
drwxrwxrwx 2 i2batch I2 1024 Dec 10 10:57 -_12
drwx------ 2 i2batch I2 96 Feb 4 17:39 -_15

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove special and unicode characters

Hi, How do I remove the lines where special characters or Unicode characters appear? The following query does work but I wonder if there is a better way. cat test.txt | egrep -v '\)|#|,|&|-|\(|\\|\/|\.' The following lines show that my query is incomplete. Warning: The word "*Khan" is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove special characters from each line?

Hello, Is there a simpler way to remove special characters (color codes) from each lines in a log file? I use sed like in the example below but I think there should be a more simple way to achieve the same result: $ cat -vet file1 ^, , , , Maybe to convert the file somehow? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormark
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Remove Special Characters

Dear Members, We have a file which contains some special characters. I need to replace these special character by a new line character(\n). The Special character is \x85. I am not sure what this character means and how we can remove it. Any inputs are greatly appreciated. Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters

hello all I am writing a perl code and i wish to remove the special characters for text. I wish to remove all extended ascii characters. If the list of special characters is huge, how can i do this using substitute command s/specialcharacters/null/g I really want to code like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
3 Replies

5. Solaris

How to remove a directory or file with special characters in Solaris

I finally figured out how to remove a file or directory with special characters in the name. It's kind of rudimentary so I thought I would share it with everyone: find .inum -exec rm -rf {} \; (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove string between two special characters

Hi All, I have a variable like AVAIL="\ BACK:bkpstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:backtest|\ #AUTH:authstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:authiapd|\ TEST:authstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:authiapd|\ " What I want to do here is that If a find # before any entry, remove the entire string... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: engineermayur
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the special characters from field

Hi, In source data few of columns are having special charates(like *) due to this i am not able to display the data into flat file.it's displaying the some of junk data into the flat file. source dataExample: Address1="XDERFTG * HYJUYTG" how to remove the special charates in a string (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove some special characters in a string?

Hi, I have string like this ="Lookup Procedure" But i want the output like this Lookup Procedure =," should be removed. Please suggest me the solution. Regards, Madhuri (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimadhuri
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove special characters?

Hi Gurus, I have file which contains some unicode charachator like "ü". I want to replace it with some charactors. I searched in internet and got command sed "s/ü/-/g", but I don't know how to type ü in unix command line. Please help me for this one. Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Special Characters Within Text

Hi, I have a "|" delimited file that is exported from a database. There is one column in the file which has description/comments entered by some application user. It has "Control-M" character and "New Line" character in between the text. Hence, when i export the data, this record with the new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarun.trehan
4 Replies
remove directory(1m)													      remove directory(1m)

NAME
remove directory - Removes a value from a set-valued or single-valued attribute (including application-defined attributes) of a directory SYNOPSIS
cdscp remove directory directory-name attribute-name [= attribute-value] ARGUMENTS
The full name of the directory. The name of a particular attribute. Specify only one attribute at a time. See the cds_attributes file for the list of attributes and corresponding data types that your application uses. The value of a particular attribute. The value of an application-defined attribute is dependent on the type of attribute. DESCRIPTION
The remove directory command removes a value from a set-valued or single-valued attribute (including application-defined attributes) of a directory. If you do not specify a value, the command removes the entire attribute. This command can delete attributes created by the add directory and set directory commands. Usually this task is performed through the client application. See the OSF DCE Administration Guide for more information about attributes. Privilege Required You must have write permission to the directory. NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLE
To remove the value 1 from the user-defined, set-valued attribute dirregion of a directory named /.:/sales, follow these steps: Read the cds_attributes file to check that the attribute dirregion is listed, as shown in the following display: OID LABEL SYNTAX 1.3.22.1.3.66 dirregion small Enter the following command to remove the value 1 from the attribute dirregion. cdscp> remove directory /.:/sales dirregion = 1 RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: add directory(1m), list directory(1m), set directory(1m), set directory to skulk(1m), show directory(1m) Books: OSF DCE Administration Guide remove directory(1m)