Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Writing to a File using pl/sql Post 302169569 by stky13 on Thursday 21st of February 2008 02:55:52 PM
Old 02-21-2008
Writing to a File using pl/sql

Hi I am new to using pl/sql on a unix platform and am having trouble writing to a file from within a block. Below is an example of the code that I have. I know that I need to use UTL_FILE to accomplish this; however, I keep getting errors. Can someone please help me?

I am trying to create a csv file of tables name from a schema. However, I cannot figure out how to write the table names into a csv file after getting the user input.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

prompt Enter Table owner;
accept user_schema char prompt 's (SYSTEM), m (WMSYS), b (Both): ';

declare

user_input varchar2 (40) := '&user_schema';

type t_names is table of all_tables.TABLE_NAME%type;
all_table_names t_names;

begin

if user_input = 'w' then

user_input := '''WMSYS''';
select table_name bulk collect into all_table_names from all_tables where owner = user_input;

else
user_input := '''SYSTEM''';
select table_name bulk collect into all_table_names from all_tables where owner = user_input;

end if;

end;
/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

conditional writing of sql code

Hello again... I have a request from another department to list for them all the columns and tables we use in this certain database. I have spooled the oracle stored procedured into 1 file. I need a way to write out parts of that file. The criteria is to to start the block to be written when... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kburrows
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execute PL/SQL function from Unix script (.sql file)

Hi guys, I am new on here, I have a function in oracle that returns a specific value: create or replace PACKAGE BODY "CTC_ASDGET_SCHED" AS FUNCTION FN_ASDSCHEDULE_GET RETURN VARCHAR2 AS BEGIN DECLARE ASDSchedule varchar2(6); ASDComplete... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reptile
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing the output of SQL into one file

Hi All, Please help me writing the below script. I have two sql queries. 1. Select count(1),Client_id from TABLE_A group by Client_id; 2. Select count(1),Client_id from TABLE_B group by Client_id; I need the output of above two sql queries in a single file. The output 2nd query should be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 46019
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sql data file in unix csv file as input to an sql query from shell

Hi , I used the below script to get the sql data into csv file using unix scripting. I m getting the output into an output file but the output file is not displayed in a separe columns . #!/bin/ksh export FILE_PATH=/maav/home/xyz/abc/ rm $FILE_PATH/sample.csv sqlplus -s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nareshp
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing sql results to file using ksh -nevermind

I'm having problems with writing my sql results to a file: sqlplus -S username/password@DB <<!! set echo off set verify off set showmode off set feedback off set timing off set linesize 250 set wrap off set pagesize 0 set newpage none set tab off set trimspool on set colsep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avillanueva
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To create a file writing a SQL into it from another file

Hi, I have a file in which I have database information along with 1 SELECT statement. Only 1 statement would be there. I want to grep this SELECT STATEMENT only and write into a separate file. Input File format: Database_Name:<database> Schema_Name:<schema> Table_Name:<table> Select *... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ustechie
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for Log / Bad file and Reading and writing to a flat file

Need to develop a unix shell script for the below requirement and I need your assistance: 1) search for file.log and file.bad file in a directory and read them 2) pull out "Load_Start_Time", "Data_File_Name", "Error_Type" from log file 4) concatinate each row from bad file as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - writing matching pattern to a new file and deleting it from the current file

Hello , I have comma delimited file with over 20 fileds that i need to do some validations on. I have to check if certain fields are null and then write the line containing the null field into a new file and then delete the line from the current file. Can someone tell me how i could go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column not allowed, when I am writing sql in UNIX

Please advice to rectify below error #!/bin/ksh X=$(sqlplus -s user/pass << EOSQL set serveroutput on; set heading off feedback off serveroutput on trimout on pagesize 0 INSERT INTO TEST(df) VALUES('a'); COMMIT; EXIT; EOSQL) echo $X echo $? ERROR at line 2: ORA-00984: column not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
1 Replies

10. Programming

Help writing SQL query

Hello All, I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I have zero sql query writing skill, in fact, I've never done it before, but for some reason, a request came across my desk to get information from one of our databases. I have about 200 ticket numbers that have no information attached,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
8 Replies
CREATE TABLE 
AS(7) SQL Commands CREATE TABLE AS(7) NAME
CREATE TABLE AS - create a new table from the results of a query SYNOPSIS
CREATE [ [ LOCAL ] { TEMPORARY | TEMP } ] TABLE table_name [ (column_name [, ...] ) ] AS query DESCRIPTION
CREATE TABLE AS creates a table and fills it with data computed by a SELECT command. The table columns have the names and data types asso- ciated with the output columns of the SELECT (except that you can override the column names by giving an explicit list of new column names). CREATE TABLE AS bears some resemblance to creating a view, but it is really quite different: it creates a new table and evaluates the query just once to fill the new table initially. The new table will not track subsequent changes to the source tables of the query. In contrast, a view re-evaluates its defining SELECT statement whenever it is queried. PARAMETERS
[LOCAL] TEMPORARY or [LOCAL] TEMP If specified, the table is created as a temporary table. Refer to CREATE TABLE [create_table(7)] for details. table_name The name (optionally schema-qualified) of the table to be created. column_name The name of a column in the new table. Multiple column names can be specified using a comma-delimited list of column names. If col- umn names are not provided, they are taken from the output column names of the query. query A query statement (that is, a SELECT command). Refer to SELECT [select(7)] for a description of the allowed syntax. DIAGNOSTICS
Refer to CREATE TABLE [create_table(7)] and SELECT [select(7)] for a summary of possible output messages. NOTES
This command is functionally equivalent to SELECT INTO [select_into(7)], but it is preferred since it is less likely to be confused with other uses of the SELECT ... INTO syntax. COMPATIBILITY
This command is modeled after an Oracle feature. There is no command with equivalent functionality in SQL92 or SQL99. However, a combina- tion of CREATE TABLE and INSERT ... SELECT can accomplish the same thing with little more effort. HISTORY
The CREATE TABLE AS command has been available since PostgreSQL 6.3. SEE ALSO
CREATE TABLE [create_table(7)], CREATE VIEW [create_view(l)], SELECT [select(l)], SELECT INTO [select_into(l)] SQL - Language Statements 2002-11-22 CREATE TABLE AS(7)