Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell Command for Symbolic Link Targets Post 302169501 by bdizenhouse on Thursday 21st of February 2008 12:57:09 PM
Old 02-21-2008
Shell Commands for Symbolic Links

Thank you very much for the indepth solution.

I'm still very new to the Unix world, and where I am, we mainly deal with AIX, so I will definately check out the forums here.

So I've come to the conclusion to use the following 2 commands:

(find all non-absolute symbolic links)
find / -type l ! -fstype nfs 2> /dev/null | (while read FN ; do test -e "$FN" | file -h "$FN" | grep 'symbolic link to [^/]' ; done) | wc -l

(final all broken symbolic links)
find / -type l ! -fstype nfs 2> /dev/null | (while read FN ; do test -e "$FN" || ls -l "$FN" 2> /dev/null; done) | wc -l

Thanks very much for the help!
ben

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script -- symbolic link

Hi , pwd -P will give the physical directory name for symbolic names. is there any command to get the value of symbolic link ? if it's symbolic link , I have to get the physical directory name? any ideas to code in shell ? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how does symbolic link execute command with option or parameter

Hello World~:) $ rbash $ cd .. rbash: cd: restricted $ ls -l /bin/rbash lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-11-02 15:56 /bin/rbash -> bash rbash is a symbolic link to bash but why does rbash execute 'bash -r' instead of 'bash' i want to know how symbolic link executes command with option or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifegeek
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Testing targets of link files > ln -s

Hi all Ive been given the task to write a script that tests that certain link files work, i.e. the physical directory the link points too, is actually there. Now, before I go down the route of ls -l | awk ...... or using test or find, is there a far more simpler command that I can use ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link

Hi, i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong. oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default::Plugins::Source(3pm)		 Perl Programmers Reference Guide	    CPANPLUS::Shell::Default::Plugins::Source(3pm)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default::Plugins::Source - read in CPANPLUS commands SYNOPSIS
CPAN Terminal> /source /tmp/list_of_commands /tmp/more_commands DESCRIPTION
This is a "CPANPLUS::Shell::Default" plugin that works just like your unix shells source(1) command; it reads in a file that has commands in it to execute, and then executes them. A sample file might look like this: # first, update all the source files x --update_source # find all of my modules that are on the CPAN # test them, and store the error log a ^KANE$' t * p /home/kane/cpan-autotest/log # and inform us we're good to go ! print "Autotest complete, log stored; please enter your commands!" Note how empty lines, and lines starting with a '#' are being skipped in the execution. BUG REPORTS
Please report bugs or other issues to <bug-cpanplus@rt.cpan.org<gt>. AUTHOR
This module by Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT
The CPAN++ interface (of which this module is a part of) is copyright (c) 2001 - 2007, Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you may redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default, CPANPLUS::Shell, cpanp perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 CPANPLUS::Shell::Default::Plugins::Source(3pm)