Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE Linux SuSE 10 - Disable Unsuccessful Login History. Post 302169495 by grumpf on Thursday 21st of February 2008 12:44:37 PM
Old 02-21-2008
wtmp/utmp are written by "login" (see man login for detail). I am not aware that there is a way to disable this since it is a security issue (read: you need a realy good explaination if you want to disable this).

The most easy way is to recompile login and install. The next is to link from /dev/null to wtmp (untested).

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suse Linux 9.0 can't login

Hi, I need some help here. I have a Suse Linux here that I can't login to. I used to be able to, but now I can't. I was able to login initially, not too sure what keyboard button I pressed(Alt+Tab, maybe), then it kicks straight to the login screen. Subsequent login as root didn't manage to get... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suseli
0 Replies

2. SuSE

Can we disable/delay login ports in suse linux ?

Plz . tell me the command in suse linux to rert availibility of login ports, disable login ports, & delay available login ports. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrguha
3 Replies

3. Solaris

How to lock the account after consecutive unsuccessful login

Dears, I want to lock the user's account after consecutive unsuccessful login attempts, how can I do this ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mlsun
1 Replies

4. SuSE

How to lock the account after consecutive unsuccessful login in SUSE

Hi , Can anyone give ur answer for How to lock the account after consecutive unsuccessful login in SUSE Enterprise 10.2 Linux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthik04
1 Replies

5. Linux

Unable to login with Domain users in the Suse linux

Hi Team, I have joined the Suse Linux Server in my domain. I am not able update the DNS but I am able to join the domain. net ads testjoin gives me Join ok. even net ads dns register -P results to DNS update failed. wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g also not working. Samba Configuration: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naree
1 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

How to disable USB for storage devices in Suse?

Hello folks, for some confidential reason, I need to disable the USB to access the storage devices in Suse11.2, but I still need two USB for the mouse and keyboard. Anyone knows? Thanks a lot in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnsxhj
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exit shell script if remote login unsuccessful?

#!/bin/bash for servers in `cat ~/servers` do rosh -l root -n $servers 'if then echo $HOSTNAME else exit 1 fi' done I have few servers in the for loop that is powered off, so whenever I execute my script, it works fine if all the servers are on, but when it tries to execute the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rojan Shakya
1 Replies

8. SuSE

Help in display unsuccessful login in SUSE Linux

hi i want to enable details of previous successful/ unsuccessful login on screen after successful login in SUSE linux ---------- Post updated 01-17-15 at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous update was 01-16-15 at 11:37 PM ---------- hi guys please reply (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Idea
1 Replies
LOGIN(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  LOGIN(3)

NAME
login, logout - write utmp and wtmp entries SYNOPSIS
#include <utmp.h> void login(const struct utmp *ut); int logout(const char *ut_line); Link with -lutil. DESCRIPTION
The utmp file records who is currently using the system. The wtmp file records all logins and logouts. See utmp(5). The function login() takes the supplied struct utmp, ut, and writes it to both the utmp and the wtmp file. The function logout() clears the entry in the utmp file again. GNU details More precisely, login() takes the argument ut struct, fills the field ut->ut_type (if there is such a field) with the value USER_PROCESS, and fills the field ut->ut_pid (if there is such a field) with the process ID of the calling process. Then it tries to fill the field ut->ut_line. It takes the first of stdin, stdout, stderr that is a terminal, and stores the corresponding pathname minus a possible lead- ing /dev/ into this field, and then writes the struct to the utmp file. On the other hand, if no terminal name was found, this field is filled with "???" and the struct is not written to the utmp file. After this, the struct is written to the wtmp file. The logout() function searches the utmp file for an entry matching the ut_line argument. If a record is found, it is updated by zeroing out the ut_name and ut_host fields, updating the ut_tv timestamp field and setting ut_type (if there is such a field) to DEAD_PROCESS. RETURN VALUE
The logout() function returns 1 if the entry was successfully written to the database, or 0 if an error occurred. FILES
/var/run/utmp user accounting database, configured through _PATH_UTMP in <paths.h> /var/log/wtmp user accounting log file, configured through _PATH_WTMP in <paths.h> CONFORMING TO
Not in POSIX.1-2001. Present on the BSDs. NOTES
Note that the member ut_user of struct utmp is called ut_name in BSD. Therefore, ut_name is defined as an alias for ut_user in <utmp.h>. SEE ALSO
getutent(3), utmp(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2004-05-06 LOGIN(3)