Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl: When dealing with files that do not exist Post 302169255 by HPAVC on Wednesday 20th of February 2008 04:09:25 PM
Old 02-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg
In shell scripting, one can do an "if [ -e filename ] " kind of thing
you can if (-f "/etc/passwd") { warn "file exists" } in perl too, most of the modern test flags exist.

the big problem i have is when the file is after the mundane open(FH,..) that your doing. and the print FH "" fails. This take a little bit of care and feeding but its worth it imo.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

testing if files exist

I am trying to test arguments to see if they are files in any directory. I have : but it's not working (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with log files

Hi , My requirement is that i need to search for a number of strings in a log file and print them with line numbers.The search should be date wise. The sample log file is : Jan 17 02:45:34 srim6165 MQSIv500: (UKBRKR1P_B.LZ_ BENCHMARKS)BIP2648E: Message backed out to a queue; node... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charudpss
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with files with spaces in the name

Hello, I'm a computer science major and I'm having problems dealing with file names with spaces in them. Particularly I'm saving a file name in a variable and then using the variable in a compare function i.e. a='te xt.txt' b='file2.txt' cmp $a $b If anyone could help me with this particular... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakethegreycat
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: One action if an element doesn't exist in array

Hello, I want to run one (not multiple) action if an element doesn't exist in array. for example: @array = (1..10); foreach $el (@array) { if ($el != 11) { print "number not found\n"; } } the output of this simple script: number not found (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_zaher
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file .jpg is exist perl

Hi, I just wondering I done program which will list .jpg extension file but if there is not .jpg file in current directory display error how to do it ; here is my code #!/bin/sh echo "Enter a program function :" # declear User input read func1 func2 ## user must input list follow by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guidely
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Iterating over subdirectories and dealing with files within them

Hello, I am working on a coding project for a class and to test the program I have created, I have come up with 100 different test cases. The program takes four text files as input, so each of the test cases is contained in a folder with four files. I have a folder called 'tests', within which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dpryor
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dealing with Empty files, AWK and Loops

I write this bit of code to calculate the mean and variance for all the files in one directory and print the mean and variance in a separate folder but with the same file name. FILES="data/*" for X in $FILES do name=$(basename $X) awk '{x=$0; s+=$0; n++} END{mean=s/n; for (i in x){ss... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with multiple files

Korn Shell I have hundreds of small files like below created every day. A midnight cron job moves them to the location /u04/temp/logs But sometimes I have to manually move these files based a certain dates or time. I have two basic requirements 1.Using mv command I want to move all .dat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perform an action if certain text exist in output (PERL)

Hello, I'm attempting to write a tool that checks an IP address for existing PTR records then if there are no PTR records does a ping to see if it response. Then if there is no response, it should print a message saying This is what I have so far. #!/usr/bin/perl $nxdomain =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartan22
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with filename spaces in Perl

The following command to replace text in place in multiple files in a directory is tripping up on filename spaces (Windows environment). I really don't know Perl. find '\\server\directory' | xargs perl -pi -e 's/textA/textB/g'Mike (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies
test(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  test(1B)

NAME
test - condition evaluation command SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/test expression expression DESCRIPTION
test evaluates the expression expression and, if its value is true, sets 0 (true) exit status; otherwise, a non-zero (false) exit status is set. test also sets a non-zero exit status if there are no arguments. When permissions are tested, the effective user ID of the process is used. All operators, flags, and brackets (brackets used as shown in the second SYNOPSIS line) must be separate arguments to the test command; normally these items are separated by spaces. USAGE
Primitives The following primitives are used to construct expression: -r filename True if filename exists and is readable. -w filename True if filename exists and is writable. -x filename True if filename exists and is executable. -f filename True if filename exists and is a regular file. Alternatively, if /usr/bin/sh users specify /usr/ucb before /usr/bin in their PATH environment variable, then test will return true if filename exists and is (not-a-directory). This is also the default for /usr/bin/csh users. -d filename True if filename exists and is a directory. -c filename True if filename exists and is a character special file. -b filename True if filename exists and is a block special file. -p filename True if filename exists and is a named pipe (fifo). -u filename True if filename exists and its set-user- ID bit is set. -g filename True if filename exists and its set-group- ID bit is set. -k filename True if filename exists and its sticky bit is set. -s filename True if filename exists and has a size greater than zero. -t[ fildes ] True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is associated with a terminal device. -z s1 True if the length of string s1 is zero. -n s1 True if the length of the string s1 is non-zero. s1 = s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are algebraically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, and -le may be used in place of -eq. Operators These primaries may be combined with the following operators: ! Unary negation operator. -a Binary and operator. -o Binary or operator (-a has higher precedence than -o). (expression) Parentheses for grouping. Notice also that parentheses are meaningful to the shell and, therefore, must be quoted. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
find(1), sh(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The not-a-directory alternative to the -f option is a transition aid for BSD applications and may not be supported in future releases. If you test a file you own (the -r , -w , or -x tests), but the permission tested does not have the owner bit set, a non-zero (false) exit status will be returned even though the file may have the group or other bit set for that permission. The correct exit status will be set if you are super-user. The = and != operators have a higher precedence than the -r through -n operators, and = and != always expect arguments; therefore, = and != cannot be used with the -r through -n operators. If more than one argument follows the -r through -n operators, only the first argument is examined; the others are ignored, unless a -a or a -o is the second argument. SunOS 5.10 1 Apr 1996 test(1B)