Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Redirecting to stdin
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirecting to stdin Post 302169239 by flame_eagle on Wednesday 20th of February 2008 03:25:42 PM
Old 02-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Dragon
Code:
echo "a" | ./environment_select.sh

Thanks, that worked. Should have thought about something like that....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stdin

hi, how does a program know whether some data are available from stdin? I would like to make a program which could read its data from stdin and _if_there_is_nothing_at_stdin_ from a file which name is given as an argument. If there is nothing in stdin and no filename is given as argument,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marquis
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

stdin device on HP

How can I access the standard-in device in HP-UX? I am trying to automate sftp on an HP-UX system. On solaris I can just do: sftp -b /dev/fd/0 remotehost <<EOF cd pub ascii get filename.txt bye EOF (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection stdin

hello all, I need to create a password change utility for a database. I need to gather at the command line the username, password and database sid. I have the program currently doing this. What I would like to do is not have the new password appear on the screen when I do my read command.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whited05
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect STDIN

can you redirect STDIN with command arguments? I have tried this approach: # ./script -option <argument1> <argument2> 0<$2 # $2: ambiguous redirect Is this possible? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

5. Programming

How to write to stdin of another program (program A -> [stdin]program B)

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question: ---------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write to stdin of another program (program A -> [stdin]program B)

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question: ---------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork and stdin

When a process fork(), the child share the same file descriptors as his father. Thus, they share the same stdin. Quick and dirty exemple below (sorry for the ugly gets() call) : #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> int main() { char buf; if (fork()) { /*parent */ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: milouz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdin from fd 3-9?

Hi I'm trying to do something on the bash command line that I will later put into a bash shell script. I'm trying to take a program that reads stdin (using getline) and be able to keep it running in the background and fire "commands" to it. So what I thought I should do was to try taking... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niceguyeddie
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdin/stdout to/from command from/to string

Hi, I am working on a project where I have to generate and execute nasm code on-the-fly. I generate the code in a file program.asm and then execute it.This output is to stdout which i redirect to an output file which i read back to compare results: system("nasm -f elf program.asm >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: doc_cypher
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[stdin / stdout] Strategies for redirecting outputs

Well.. let's say i need to write a pretty simple script. In my script i have 2 variables which can have value of 0 or 1. $VERBOSE $LOG I need to implement these cases: ($VERBOSE = 0 && $LOG = 0) => ONLY ERROR output (STDERR to console && STDOUT to /dev/null) ($VERBOSE = 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marmz
5 Replies
FESTIVAL(1)						      General Commands Manual						       FESTIVAL(1)

NAME
festival - a text-to-speech system. SYNOPSIS
festival [options] [file0] [file1] ... DESCRIPTION
Festival is a general purpose text-to-speech system. As well as simply rendering text as speech it can be used in an interactive command mode for testing and developing various aspects of speech synthesis technology. Festival has two major modes, command and tts (text-to-speech). When in command mode input (from file or interactively) is interpreted by the command interpreter. When in tts mode input is rendered as speech. When in command mode filenames that start with a left parenthesis are treated as literal commands and evaluated. OPTIONS
-q Load no default setup files --datadir <string> Set data directory pathname --libdir <string> Set library directory pathname -b Run in batch mode (no interaction) --batch Run in batch mode (no interaction) --tts Synthesize text in files as speech no files means read from stdin (implies no interaction by default) -i Run in interactive mode (default) --interactive Run in interactive mode (default) --pipe Run in pipe mode, reading commands from stdin, but no prompt or return values are printed (default if stdin not a tty) --language <string> Run in named language, default is english, spanish, russian, welsh and others are available --server Run in server mode waiting for clients of server_port (1314) --script <ifile> Used in #! scripts, runs in batch mode on file and passes all other args to Scheme --heap <int> {1000000} Set size of Lisp heap, should not normally need to be changed from its default -v Display version number and exit --version Display version number and exit BUGS
More than you can imagine. A manual with much detail (though not complete) is available in distributed as part of the system and is also accessible at http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/manual/ Although we cannot guarantee the time required to fix bugs, we would appreciated it if they were reported to festival-bug@cstr.ed.ac.uk AUTHOR
Alan W Black, Richard Caley and Paul Taylor (C) Centre for Speech Technology Research, 1996-1998 University of Edinburgh 80 South Bridge Edinburgh EH1 1HN http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival.html 6th Apr 1998 FESTIVAL(1)