Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl: When dealing with files that do not exist Post 302169238 by KevinADC on Wednesday 20th of February 2008 03:24:53 PM
Old 02-20-2008
It all depends on your requirements, but a 'next' will work fine:

Code:
for ($j = 1; $j <= $k; $j++)
{

open(FIN2,$fin2) or do {warn "Can't open $fin2: $!"; next;};

do other stuff
}

remove the do {warn} stuff if you don't need any error handling.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

testing if files exist

I am trying to test arguments to see if they are files in any directory. I have : but it's not working (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with log files

Hi , My requirement is that i need to search for a number of strings in a log file and print them with line numbers.The search should be date wise. The sample log file is : Jan 17 02:45:34 srim6165 MQSIv500: (UKBRKR1P_B.LZ_ BENCHMARKS)BIP2648E: Message backed out to a queue; node... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charudpss
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with files with spaces in the name

Hello, I'm a computer science major and I'm having problems dealing with file names with spaces in them. Particularly I'm saving a file name in a variable and then using the variable in a compare function i.e. a='te xt.txt' b='file2.txt' cmp $a $b If anyone could help me with this particular... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakethegreycat
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: One action if an element doesn't exist in array

Hello, I want to run one (not multiple) action if an element doesn't exist in array. for example: @array = (1..10); foreach $el (@array) { if ($el != 11) { print "number not found\n"; } } the output of this simple script: number not found (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_zaher
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file .jpg is exist perl

Hi, I just wondering I done program which will list .jpg extension file but if there is not .jpg file in current directory display error how to do it ; here is my code #!/bin/sh echo "Enter a program function :" # declear User input read func1 func2 ## user must input list follow by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guidely
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Iterating over subdirectories and dealing with files within them

Hello, I am working on a coding project for a class and to test the program I have created, I have come up with 100 different test cases. The program takes four text files as input, so each of the test cases is contained in a folder with four files. I have a folder called 'tests', within which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dpryor
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dealing with Empty files, AWK and Loops

I write this bit of code to calculate the mean and variance for all the files in one directory and print the mean and variance in a separate folder but with the same file name. FILES="data/*" for X in $FILES do name=$(basename $X) awk '{x=$0; s+=$0; n++} END{mean=s/n; for (i in x){ss... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with multiple files

Korn Shell I have hundreds of small files like below created every day. A midnight cron job moves them to the location /u04/temp/logs But sometimes I have to manually move these files based a certain dates or time. I have two basic requirements 1.Using mv command I want to move all .dat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perform an action if certain text exist in output (PERL)

Hello, I'm attempting to write a tool that checks an IP address for existing PTR records then if there are no PTR records does a ping to see if it response. Then if there is no response, it should print a message saying This is what I have so far. #!/usr/bin/perl $nxdomain =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartan22
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with filename spaces in Perl

The following command to replace text in place in multiple files in a directory is tripping up on filename spaces (Windows environment). I really don't know Perl. find '\\server\directory' | xargs perl -pi -e 's/textA/textB/g'Mike (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies
ExtUtils::Command(3perl)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				  ExtUtils::Command(3perl)

NAME
ExtUtils::Command - utilities to replace common UNIX commands in Makefiles etc. SYNOPSIS
perl -MExtUtils::Command -e cat files... > destination perl -MExtUtils::Command -e mv source... destination perl -MExtUtils::Command -e cp source... destination perl -MExtUtils::Command -e touch files... perl -MExtUtils::Command -e rm_f files... perl -MExtUtils::Command -e rm_rf directories... perl -MExtUtils::Command -e mkpath directories... perl -MExtUtils::Command -e eqtime source destination perl -MExtUtils::Command -e test_f file perl -MExtUtils::Command -e test_d directory perl -MExtUtils::Command -e chmod mode files... ... DESCRIPTION
The module is used to replace common UNIX commands. In all cases the functions work from @ARGV rather than taking arguments. This makes them easier to deal with in Makefiles. Call them like this: perl -MExtUtils::Command -e some_command some files to work on and NOT like this: perl -MExtUtils::Command -e 'some_command qw(some files to work on)' For that use Shell::Command. Filenames with * and ? will be glob expanded. FUNCTIONS cat cat file ... Concatenates all files mentioned on command line to STDOUT. eqtime eqtime source destination Sets modified time of destination to that of source. rm_rf rm_rf files or directories ... Removes files and directories - recursively (even if readonly) rm_f rm_f file ... Removes files (even if readonly) touch touch file ... Makes files exist, with current timestamp mv mv source_file destination_file mv source_file source_file destination_dir Moves source to destination. Multiple sources are allowed if destination is an existing directory. Returns true if all moves succeeded, false otherwise. cp cp source_file destination_file cp source_file source_file destination_dir Copies sources to the destination. Multiple sources are allowed if destination is an existing directory. Returns true if all copies succeeded, false otherwise. chmod chmod mode files ... Sets UNIX like permissions 'mode' on all the files. e.g. 0666 mkpath mkpath directory ... Creates directories, including any parent directories. test_f test_f file Tests if a file exists. Exits with 0 if it does, 1 if it does not (ie. shell's idea of true and false). test_d test_d directory Tests if a directory exists. Exits with 0 if it does, 1 if it does not (ie. shell's idea of true and false). dos2unix dos2unix files or dirs ... Converts DOS and OS/2 linefeeds to Unix style recursively. SEE ALSO
Shell::Command which is these same functions but take arguments normally. AUTHOR
Nick Ing-Simmons "ni-s@cpan.org" Maintained by Michael G Schwern "schwern@pobox.com" within the ExtUtils-MakeMaker package and, as a separate CPAN package, by Randy Kobes "r.kobes@uwinnipeg.ca". perl v5.14.2 2011-09-19 ExtUtils::Command(3perl)