Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ksh and .profile
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh and .profile Post 302169237 by JamesByars on Wednesday 20th of February 2008 03:19:42 PM
Old 02-20-2008
ksh and .profile

hi,

I have the following in my .profile file:

Code:
    21          set -u
    22          trap "echo 'logout'" 0
    25          EDITOR=vi
    26          export EDITOR
    28          export ENV=x.tm

And x.tm just contains
Code:
echo hello world

I am in the c shell. I was under the impression that if I type ksh, then the .profile will get executed, and it will also execute x.tm. But I do not see hello world printed out.
In addition, if I manually do .profile, then I get

Code:
$ .profile
.profile[11]: setenv:  not found
logout

Can anyone explain why this is so?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changed .profile but didnt ./.profile, yet reflected changes

hi , i added ls -F to .profile. and i need to do ./.profile for the effect to take effect BUT i didnt and YET the next day when i came to work and log in, the changes took effect. i am on aix. please explain.. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies

2. SCO

Difference between .profile and .~/.profile

what is the difference between these two lines, if we use it in korn shell script: .profile .~/.profile (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maneesh mehta
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between /etc/profile and .profile?

What is the difference between /etc/profile and .profile? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.profile on ksh

Hello, I've a problem with .profile on ksh. I use exceed to connect as a user to my server. When I'm connected, my PS1 variable is $, but on my .profile it is defined like PS1="`/usr/ucb/whoami`@$HOSTNAME# " ... export ENV PAGER HOSTNAME PAGER PATH PS1 MAIL Now... all my alias on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
1 Replies

5. AIX

"ksh -" as login shell bypassing .profile

Hi all, I am currently trying to tell /bin/ksh to behave like a login shell. I am invoking it from an interactive shell. In the documentation is stated, that calling it with exec ksh - it should behave like a login shell, work 1st on /etc/profile, ~/.profile and so on. I tried that with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
0 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

trap in etc/profile and user .profile

Hello I really wonder what's trap in etc/profile and in each user .profile. I try to google for it but I think I have no luck. Mostly hit is SNMP traps which I think it is not the same thing. I want to know ... 1. What's a "trap 2 3" means and are there any other value I can set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script to run other ksh scripts and output it to a file and/or email

Hi I am new to this Scripting process and would like to know How can i write a ksh script that will call other ksh scripts and write the output to a file and/or email. For example ------- Script ABC ------- a.ksh b.ksh c.ksh I need to call all three scripts execute them and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacifican
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update ksh .profile to launch bash

Hi I don't have chsh option. I want to launch bash instead of ksh ( or launch bash from ksh .profile) how can I do this ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

"ksh: XYZ: parameter not set" in .profile

Hi, A very basic query. I am working on two different UNIX servers and I see different behaviours for my user id. This has to be a setting in the .profile, but I can't seem to find where :confused: So, in one server if I type echo $XYZDD (a random variable), I get a blank line with no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ALDonP
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use stty columns 140 in .profile on ksh

Hi, I am trying to put stty columns 140 in .profile to set column width to 140 so I don't have to manully do it every time. My main goal is to avoid seeing "Terminal too wide" message whenever I try to use vi editor in full screen. I am on korn shell echo $SHELL /bin/ksh So even... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
8 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)