Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl: When dealing with files that do not exist Post 302169232 by joeyg on Wednesday 20th of February 2008 03:03:17 PM
Old 02-20-2008
Question perl: When dealing with files that do not exist

I have a process run weekly where I must convert data formats for about thirty files. I read a text file that provides all of the filenames and switch settings.

My perl code is:

Code:
for ($j = 1; $j <= $k; $j++)
{

open(FIN2,$fin2) || die "open: $!";

do other stuff
}

Every once in a while, one of the files is empty, & this is ok.
But the perl program aborts at that open line. Right now, when this happens, I simply remove the file info from the text file listing, and restart. But, I must remember to put the line(s) back in for the next week.

QUESTION:
is it better to do a "next" when the file open fails, or
do some kind of File::stat command to know if the file exists first

In shell scripting, one can do an "if [ -e filename ] " kind of thing

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

testing if files exist

I am trying to test arguments to see if they are files in any directory. I have : but it's not working (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with log files

Hi , My requirement is that i need to search for a number of strings in a log file and print them with line numbers.The search should be date wise. The sample log file is : Jan 17 02:45:34 srim6165 MQSIv500: (UKBRKR1P_B.LZ_ BENCHMARKS)BIP2648E: Message backed out to a queue; node... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charudpss
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with files with spaces in the name

Hello, I'm a computer science major and I'm having problems dealing with file names with spaces in them. Particularly I'm saving a file name in a variable and then using the variable in a compare function i.e. a='te xt.txt' b='file2.txt' cmp $a $b If anyone could help me with this particular... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakethegreycat
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: One action if an element doesn't exist in array

Hello, I want to run one (not multiple) action if an element doesn't exist in array. for example: @array = (1..10); foreach $el (@array) { if ($el != 11) { print "number not found\n"; } } the output of this simple script: number not found (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_zaher
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file .jpg is exist perl

Hi, I just wondering I done program which will list .jpg extension file but if there is not .jpg file in current directory display error how to do it ; here is my code #!/bin/sh echo "Enter a program function :" # declear User input read func1 func2 ## user must input list follow by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guidely
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Iterating over subdirectories and dealing with files within them

Hello, I am working on a coding project for a class and to test the program I have created, I have come up with 100 different test cases. The program takes four text files as input, so each of the test cases is contained in a folder with four files. I have a folder called 'tests', within which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dpryor
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dealing with Empty files, AWK and Loops

I write this bit of code to calculate the mean and variance for all the files in one directory and print the mean and variance in a separate folder but with the same file name. FILES="data/*" for X in $FILES do name=$(basename $X) awk '{x=$0; s+=$0; n++} END{mean=s/n; for (i in x){ss... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with multiple files

Korn Shell I have hundreds of small files like below created every day. A midnight cron job moves them to the location /u04/temp/logs But sometimes I have to manually move these files based a certain dates or time. I have two basic requirements 1.Using mv command I want to move all .dat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perform an action if certain text exist in output (PERL)

Hello, I'm attempting to write a tool that checks an IP address for existing PTR records then if there are no PTR records does a ping to see if it response. Then if there is no response, it should print a message saying This is what I have so far. #!/usr/bin/perl $nxdomain =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartan22
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with filename spaces in Perl

The following command to replace text in place in multiple files in a directory is tripping up on filename spaces (Windows environment). I really don't know Perl. find '\\server\directory' | xargs perl -pi -e 's/textA/textB/g'Mike (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies
WEEKLY(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							 WEEKLY(5)

NAME
weekly, weekly.conf -- weekly maintenance DESCRIPTION
The /etc/weekly script is run, by default, every Saturday morning on a NetBSD system. The /etc/weekly.conf file specifies which of the stan- dard weekly services are performed. The variables described below can be set to ``YES'' or ``NO'' in the /etc/weekly.conf file. The default settings are in the /etc/defaults/weekly.conf file. (Note that you should never edit /etc/defaults/weekly.conf directly, as it is often replaced during system upgrades.) rebuild_locatedb This rebuilds the locate(1) database, /var/db/locate.database, which must also exist, in order to be rebuilt. rebuild_mandb This rebuilds the apropos(1) database /var/db/man.db, using makemandb(8) with the -f option. rebuild_whatisdb This rebuilds the whatis(1) database(s). Note that NetBSD provides a default whatis.db for the system manual pages and this may not be needed. (Adjust your /etc/man.conf as necessary; see man.conf(5) for details.) FILES
/etc/weekly weekly maintenance script /etc/weekly.conf weekly maintenance configuration /etc/weekly.local local site additions to /etc/weekly SEE ALSO
daily.conf(5), monthly.conf(5) HISTORY
The /etc/weekly script first appeared in 4.3BSD. The /etc/weekly.conf configuration file appeared in NetBSD 1.3. BSD
March 6, 2012 BSD