Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Processing extended ascii character file names in UNIX (BASH scipts) Post 302169041 by robotronic on Wednesday 20th of February 2008 04:44:53 AM
Old 02-20-2008
Yes, you have to replace that single line with two commands. With utf8 for you the command should be:

Code:
x=$(echo -e "/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 2008/Komponenter/Jazz filf\0303\0266rval")
cp -R -n -p "$x" "/Applications/Finale 2008/Komponentfiler"

By the way, if I try copying files with "strange characters" on my box I don't experiment your issue: I can simply use "strange characters" in the cp command and it works perfectly (I'm using an utf8 locale too). Are you using an utf8-aware terminal (like KDE's Konsole or similar)? Maybe you are using an utf8 locale but your terminal doesn't support it or it is not configured correctly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Extended ascii

Hi all, I would like to change the extended ascii code ( 128 - 255). I tried to change LC_ALL and LANG in current session ( values from locale -a) and for no good. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avis
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird Ascii characters in file names

Hi. I have files in my OS that has weird file names with not-conventional ascii characters. I would like to run them but I can't refer them. I know the ascii # of the problematic characters. I can't change their name since it belongs to a 3rd party program... but I want to run it. is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yamsin789
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extended ascii problem

hi i would like to check text files if they contain extended ascii characters within or not. i really dont have any idea how to start your kind help would be very much appreciated thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smooth
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

5. AIX

Printing extended ASCII

Hi All, I'm trying to send extended ascii characters to my HP2055 as part of PCL printer control codes. What I want to do is select a bar code font, print the bar code and reset the printer to the default font. Selecting the bar code font works good. Printing the bar code goes almost ok too. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve extented ascii character when run echo comand inside bash script

Hi everyone, I'm echo some text with extended ascii characters as below: echo -e "Pr\xE9sentation du spectacle" > output or echo -e "Présentation du spectacle" > outputIf I open the file created I see this text Présentation du spectacleThe text is shown correctly in this created file when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify extended ascii characters in a file

Hi, Is there a way to identify the lines in a file having extended ascii characters and display the same? For instance I have a file abc.txt having below data aaa|bbb|111|This is first line aaa|bbb|222|This is secõnd line aaa|bbb|333|This is third line aaa|bbb|444|This is foùrth line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: decci_7
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal Extended ASCII using awk

Hi All, I am trying to remove (SELECTIVE - passed as argument) Extended ASCII using Awk based on adhoc basis. Can you please let me know how to do it. I have to implement this using awk only. Thanks & Regads (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert ascii character values to number that comes between the numbers in UNIX

I have variable that contains multiple values of number and also include overpunch(i.e. # $ % etc) character so we want to replace it with numbers. here are the example: Code: 11500#.0# 28575$.5$ 527#.7# 42".2" 2794 .4 2279!.9! 1067&.7& 926#.6# 2279!.9! 885".5" 11714$.4$ 27361'.1'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nadeemrafikhan
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print byte position of extended ascii character

Hello, I am on AIX. When I encounter extended ascii characters and special characters on a file I need to print.. Byte position, actual character and line number. Is there a simple command that can give me the above result ? Thanks in advance (38 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosebud123
38 Replies
Sub::Install(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Sub::Install(3)

NAME
Sub::Install - install subroutines into packages easily VERSION
version 0.927 SYNOPSIS
use Sub::Install; Sub::Install::install_sub({ code => sub { ... }, into => $package, as => $subname }); DESCRIPTION
This module makes it easy to install subroutines into packages without the unsightly mess of "no strict" or typeglobs lying about where just anyone can see them. FUNCTIONS
install_sub Sub::Install::install_sub({ code => &subroutine, into => "Finance::Shady", as => 'launder', }); This routine installs a given code reference into a package as a normal subroutine. The above is equivalent to: no strict 'refs'; *{"Finance::Shady" . '::' . "launder"} = &subroutine; If "into" is not given, the sub is installed into the calling package. If "code" is not a code reference, it is looked for as an existing sub in the package named in the "from" parameter. If "from" is not given, it will look in the calling package. If "as" is not given, and if "code" is a name, "as" will default to "code". If "as" is not given, but if "code" is a code ref, Sub::Install will try to find the name of the given code ref and use that as "as". That means that this code: Sub::Install::install_sub({ code => 'twitch', from => 'Person::InPain', into => 'Person::Teenager', as => 'dance', }); is the same as: package Person::Teenager; Sub::Install::install_sub({ code => Person::InPain->can('twitch'), as => 'dance', }); reinstall_sub This routine behaves exactly like "install_sub", but does not emit a warning if warnings are on and the destination is already defined. install_installers This routine is provided to allow Sub::Install compatibility with Sub::Installer. It installs "install_sub" and "reinstall_sub" methods into the package named by its argument. Sub::Install::install_installers('Code::Builder'); # just for us, please Code::Builder->install_sub({ name => $code_ref }); Sub::Install::install_installers('UNIVERSAL'); # feeling lucky, punk? Anything::At::All->install_sub({ name => $code_ref }); The installed installers are similar, but not identical, to those provided by Sub::Installer. They accept a single hash as an argument. The key/value pairs are used as the "as" and "code" parameters to the "install_sub" routine detailed above. The package name on which the method is called is used as the "into" parameter. Unlike Sub::Installer's "install_sub" will not eval strings into code, but will look for named code in the calling package. EXPORTS
Sub::Install exports "install_sub" and "reinstall_sub" only if they are requested. exporter Sub::Install has a never-exported subroutine called "exporter", which is used to implement its "import" routine. It takes a hashref of named arguments, only one of which is currently recognize: "exports". This must be an arrayref of subroutines to offer for export. This routine is mainly for Sub::Install's own consumption. Instead, consider Sub::Exporter. SEE ALSO
Sub::Installer This module is (obviously) a reaction to Damian Conway's Sub::Installer, which does the same thing, but does it by getting its greasy fingers all over UNIVERSAL. I was really happy about the idea of making the installation of coderefs less ugly, but I couldn't bring myself to replace the ugliness of typeglobs and loosened strictures with the ugliness of UNIVERSAL methods. Sub::Exporter This is a complete Exporter.pm replacement, built atop Sub::Install. EXTRA CREDITS
Several of the tests are adapted from tests that shipped with Damian Conway's Sub-Installer distribution. AUTHOR
Ricardo SIGNES <rjbs@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2005 by Ricardo SIGNES. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-10-15 Sub::Install(3)