Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to Sort Records Uniquely? Post 302168718 by earnstaf on Tuesday 19th of February 2008 08:23:15 AM
Old 02-19-2008
Both the awk and perl versions work great... thanks guys.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to remove duplicate records with out sort

Can any one give me command How to delete duplicate records with out sort. Suppose if the records like below: 345,bcd,789 123,abc,456 234,abc,456 712,bcd,789 out tput should be 345,bcd,789 123,abc,456 Key for the records is 2nd and 3rd fields.fields are seperated by colon(,). (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svenkatareddy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove duplicate records with out sort

Can any one give me command How to delete duplicate records with out sort. Suppose if the records like below: 345,bcd,789 123,abc,456 234,abc,456 712,bcd,789 out tput should be 345,bcd,789 123,abc,456 Key for the records is 2nd and 3rd fields.fields are seperated by colon(,). (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: svenkatareddy
19 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort & Split records in a file

Hi, I am new to scripting. I need a script to sort and the records in a file and then split them into different files. For example, the file is: H1...................... H2...................... D2.................... D2.................... H1........................... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunitha_edi82
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Based on num of records in file1 need to check records in file2 to set some condns

Hi All, I have two files say file1 and file2. I want to check the number of records in file1 and if its atleast 2 (i.e., 2 or greater than 2 ) then I have to check records in file2 .If records in file2 is atleast 1 (i.e. if its not empty ) i have to set some conditions . Could you pls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort a file which has 3.7 million records

hi, I'm trying to sort a file which has 3.7 million records an gettign the following error...any help is appreciated... sort: Write error while merging. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix sort for fixed length columns and records

I was trying to use the AIX 6.1 sort command to sort fixed-length data records, sorting by specific columns only. It took some time to figure out how to get it to work, so I wanted to share the solution. The sort man page wasn't much help, because it talks about field delimeters (default space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CheeseHead1
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alphabetical sort for multi line records contains in a single file

Hi all, I So, I've got a monster text document comprising a list of various company names and associated info just in a long list one after another. I need to sort them alphabetically by name... The text document looks like this: Company Name: the_first_company's_name_here Address:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quee1763
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to uniquely distinguish between two USB ports??

Hi all, I am facing a problem while writing a shell script. My machine has two USB ports- left port and right port. whenever I connect USBS to both the ports, entry is generated as /sys/block/sdc and /sys/block/sdd and I mount the USBs to a particular directory. But I need to know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pkumar Sachin
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read records in a file and sort it?

I have a file which has number of pipe delimited records. I am able to read the records....but I want to sort it after reading. i=0 while IFS="|" read -r usrId dataOwn expire email group secProf startDt endDt smhRole RoleCat DataProf SysRole MesgRole SearchProf do print $usrId $dataOwn... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish468
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract delta records using with "comm" and "sort" commands combination

Hi All, I have 2 pipe delimited files viz., file_old and file_new. I'm trying to compare these 2 files, and extract all the different rows between them into a new_file. comm -3 < sort file_old < sort file_new > new_file I am getting the below error: -ksh: sort: cannot open But if I do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: njny
7 Replies
sortbib(1)							   User Commands							sortbib(1)

NAME
sortbib - sort a bibliographic database SYNOPSIS
sortbib [-s KEYS] database... DESCRIPTION
sortbib sorts files of records containing refer key-letters by user-specified keys. Records may be separated by blank lines, or by `.[' and `.]' delimiters, but the two styles may not be mixed together. This program reads through each database and pulls out key fields, which are sorted separately. The sorted key fields contain the file pointer, byte offset, and length of corresponding records. These records are delivered using disk seeks and reads, so sortbib may not be used in a pipeline to read standard input. The most common key-letters and their meanings are given below. %A Author's name %B Book containing article referenced %C City (place of publication) %D Date of publication %E Editor of book containing article referenced %F Footnote number or label (supplied by refer) %G Government order number %H Header commentary, printed before reference %I Issuer (publisher) %J Journal containing article %K Keywords to use in locating reference %L Label field used by -k option of refer %M Bell Labs Memorandum (undefined) %N Number within volume %O Other commentary, printed at end of reference %P Page number(s) %Q Corporate or Foreign Author (unreversed) %R Report, paper, or thesis (unpublished) %S Series title %T Title of article or book %V Volume number %X Abstract -- used by roffbib, not by refer %Y,Z Ignored by refer By default, sortbib alphabetizes by the first %A and the %D fields, which contain the senior author and date. sortbib sorts on the last word on the %A line, which is assumed to be the author's last name. A word in the final position, such as `jr.' or `ed.', will be ignored if the name beforehand ends with a comma. Authors with two-word last names or unusual constructions can be sorted correctly by using the nroff convention `' in place of a blank. A %Q field is considered to be the same as %A, except sorting begins with the first, not the last, word. sortbib sorts on the last word of the %D line, usually the year. It also ignores leading articles (like `A' or `The') when sorting by titles in the %T or %J fields; it will ignore articles of any modern European language. If a sort-significant field is absent from a record, sortbib places that record before other records containing that field. No more than 16 databases may be sorted together at one time. Records longer than 4096 characters will be truncated. OPTIONS
-sKEYS Specify new KEYS. For instance, -sATD will sort by author, title, and date, while -sA+D will sort by all authors, and date. Sort keys past the fourth are not meaningful. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
addbib(1), indxbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1), attributes(5) BUGS
Records with missing author fields should probably be sorted by title. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 sortbib(1)