Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: head usage
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting head usage Post 302168262 by vasuarjula on Sunday 17th of February 2008 11:04:48 PM
Old 02-18-2008
head usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by qneill
A good debugging technique in most shells is to use "-x" which prints each command as it is executed. I put your commands in a script named 'yourscript'
Code:
bash$ cat yourscript                          # see the script
$ct=1
head -n $ct file

and then execute with -x:
Code:
bash$ bash -x yourscript                  # execute the script with -x
+ =1                                      # notice '$ct' is blank (you want 'ct')
script: line 1: =1: command not found     # which causes problems
+ head -n file                            # '$ct' is again blank
head: file: invalid number of lines       # more problems

Here's your corrected script (using 'ct=1')
Code:
bash$ cat yourscript 
ct=1
head -n $ct file
bash$ cat file
blah blah one
blah blah two
bash$ bash -x yourscript 
+ ct=1
+ head -n 1 file
blah blah one

sorry about that
my code is
ct=1
head -n $ct | tail -1
i will put this code in a while loop and increment ct.
so when ct =1 i will get the first record, when ct =2 then i will get the second record and so on....
But head -n $ct is not working. it says incorrect usage. Please let me know what is the problem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help.. I am in way over my head !!!!

my boss has done it again I have been sent to fix a unix issue and I ma hoping you can help three issues 1st. I have a printer that when you try to print to it the print job comes out on a diffrent printer. If I take the printer ( dot matrix thourgh a serail connection) to a diffrent local the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oberon42
3 Replies

2. Programming

Monitor CPU usage and Memory Usage

how can i monitor usages of CPU, Memory, Hard disk etc. under SUN Solaries through a c program or java program i want to store that data into database so i can show it graphically thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajanad Bihani
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

head command

Hi All, How can the head command be used to extract only a particular line. By default head -n filename displays the first n lines. I want only the nth line. I couldn't get it from forum search. Thanks, Sumesh (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
6 Replies

4. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

5. Solaris

current CPU usage, memory usage, disk I/O oid(snmp)

Hi, I want to monitor the current cpu usage, monitor usage , disk I/o and network utlization for solaris using SNMP. I want the oids for above tasks. can you please tell me that Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

head followed by variable??

I know that the common use of head is for example head -3 etc.Is there any possibility that,if i have a variable that equals to an integer(i=5),i can write head -i?? If not,what syntax or commands should i write down in order to have the same result? //maybe something lik head -"$variable" ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashuser2
2 Replies

7. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and head -1

i have lots of files in /law/prod and /law/dev, such as AP20PD, AP20WS, AP20.scr, AP20.rpt if i am in /law DIR find . -name AP20PD, found in /law/prod and /law/dev i want to head -1 AP20PD from both location and >> /tmp/test.log can i use find and head in one line ? ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to display the space usage (memory usage) of a specific directory.

Hi all, Can you please tell me the command, with which one can know the amount of space a specific directory has used. df -k . ---> Displays, the amount of space allocated, and used for a directory. du -k <dir name> - gives me the memory used of all the files inside <dir> But i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory usage per user,percent usage,sytem time in ksh

Let's say i have 20 users logged on Server. How can I know how much memory percent used each of them is using with system time in each user? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roy1912
2 Replies
HEAD(1) 								FSF								   HEAD(1)

NAME
head - output the first part of files SYNOPSIS
head [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print first 10 lines of each FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE, precede each with a header giving the file name. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --bytes=SIZE print first SIZE bytes -n, --lines=NUMBER print first NUMBER lines instead of first 10 -q, --quiet, --silent never print headers giving file names -v, --verbose always print headers giving file names --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may have a multiplier suffix: b for 512, k for 1K, m for 1 Meg. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for head is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and head programs are properly installed at your site, the command info head should give you access to the complete manual. head (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 HEAD(1)