Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AWK Challenge
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK Challenge Post 302168067 by netmedic on Saturday 16th of February 2008 11:22:18 PM
Old 02-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixmadhan
Yes it would do.

Assuming the logs are generated in a timely fashion so the last message in the file would have the latest timestamp

Code:
awk '/pattern/{a=$0}END{ print a }' filename

That looks like it would work. Can you put a variable in the pattern?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A find and sort challenge...

Hi, I need to generate a listing of files that have been changed since x day. the listing is to be sorted by date. I managed to get the 1st requirement using the find command : find . -mtime -100 -type f -ls but I don't know how to sort the ls listing by date. :( The challenge comes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppohz
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loaded question - anyone up to the challenge?

Hello everyone. I am new to these forums and also new to Unix. And by saying "new to Unix" I mean I have never used it and 10 minutes ago was asked to start learning. So here I am. I was wondering if anyone could help me find out how long it would take to write code in Unix that will do the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: idesaj
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

safeword challenge

Hi, there are some servers here at work which issue a Safeword challenge after I login. Can anyone tell me exactly how the challenge/response system works? In particular, how are the valid keys decided? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A challenge for you sed/awk wizards...

Here's a challenge for you wizards... I have a file formatted as follows; $ What I need to output is; 87654321 Bobby One 12345678 Bobby One 09876543 Bobby One 1107338 Bobby! Two Any Ideas how I can do this? I've tried sed but I'm not sure if perl might be a better way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: th3g0bl1n
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex challenge

Here's a regex substitution operation that has stumped me with sed: How do you convert lines like this: first.key ?{x.y.z} second.key ?{xa.ys.zz.s} third.key ?{xa.k} to: first.key ?{x_y_z} second.key ?{xa_ys_zz_s} third.key ?{xa_k} So i'm basically converting all the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Geo Weather Challenge

Hi everybody, I'm new to these forums and this is my first post. A couple days ago I was trying to find a simple script that would return an individual's local weather conditions using I.P. based geolocation. After many failed search attempts, I began my quest to create this for myself. I have to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: o0110o
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PS1 challenge

Ok then i Have a challenge for you : Give me PS1 so that it always display the least 2 levels of directory (except if i am above of course) I want it this way : so if i go to / /home/ /home/user /home/user/whatever /home/user/whatever1/whatever2 my PS1 should respectively... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctsgnb
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch Challenge

I've been given a directory full of subdirectories full of logfiles of the same name: /logfiles/day1/file1/blockednodes.csv day1-14 file1-48 The above is the actual directory structure for 14 days worth of a logfile that is generated every 30 minutes. It's been done this way to preserve the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
15 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interesting awk/Perl/sed parsing challenge

I have a log with entries like: out/target/product/imx53_smd/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libwebcore_intermediates/Source/WebCore/bindings/V8HTMLVideoElement.cpp : target thumb C++: libwebcore <=... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anyone like a challenge?

I have searched through google, and this forum to try and find the answer, but alas, nothing quite hits the whole answer. I am trying to read the last line (or lines) of some log files. I do this often. The files are named sequentially, using the date as part of the file name, and appending... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: BatterBits
18 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)