Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AWK Challenge
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK Challenge Post 302168063 by matrixmadhan on Saturday 16th of February 2008 10:09:35 PM
Old 02-16-2008
Quote:
If I do a awk '/SQL-2005-UserDB/ { print }' filename won't that print each SQL-2005-UserDB that is found. I the file its looking at there may be multiple SQL-2005-userDB. Out of all it finds I need to print only the one that matches the current date and one that is the latest time.
Yes it would do.

Assuming the logs are generated in a timely fashion so the last message in the file would have the latest timestamp

Code:
awk '/pattern/{a=$0}END{ print a }' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A find and sort challenge...

Hi, I need to generate a listing of files that have been changed since x day. the listing is to be sorted by date. I managed to get the 1st requirement using the find command : find . -mtime -100 -type f -ls but I don't know how to sort the ls listing by date. :( The challenge comes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppohz
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loaded question - anyone up to the challenge?

Hello everyone. I am new to these forums and also new to Unix. And by saying "new to Unix" I mean I have never used it and 10 minutes ago was asked to start learning. So here I am. I was wondering if anyone could help me find out how long it would take to write code in Unix that will do the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: idesaj
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

safeword challenge

Hi, there are some servers here at work which issue a Safeword challenge after I login. Can anyone tell me exactly how the challenge/response system works? In particular, how are the valid keys decided? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A challenge for you sed/awk wizards...

Here's a challenge for you wizards... I have a file formatted as follows; $ What I need to output is; 87654321 Bobby One 12345678 Bobby One 09876543 Bobby One 1107338 Bobby! Two Any Ideas how I can do this? I've tried sed but I'm not sure if perl might be a better way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: th3g0bl1n
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex challenge

Here's a regex substitution operation that has stumped me with sed: How do you convert lines like this: first.key ?{x.y.z} second.key ?{xa.ys.zz.s} third.key ?{xa.k} to: first.key ?{x_y_z} second.key ?{xa_ys_zz_s} third.key ?{xa_k} So i'm basically converting all the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Geo Weather Challenge

Hi everybody, I'm new to these forums and this is my first post. A couple days ago I was trying to find a simple script that would return an individual's local weather conditions using I.P. based geolocation. After many failed search attempts, I began my quest to create this for myself. I have to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: o0110o
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PS1 challenge

Ok then i Have a challenge for you : Give me PS1 so that it always display the least 2 levels of directory (except if i am above of course) I want it this way : so if i go to / /home/ /home/user /home/user/whatever /home/user/whatever1/whatever2 my PS1 should respectively... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctsgnb
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch Challenge

I've been given a directory full of subdirectories full of logfiles of the same name: /logfiles/day1/file1/blockednodes.csv day1-14 file1-48 The above is the actual directory structure for 14 days worth of a logfile that is generated every 30 minutes. It's been done this way to preserve the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
15 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interesting awk/Perl/sed parsing challenge

I have a log with entries like: out/target/product/imx53_smd/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libwebcore_intermediates/Source/WebCore/bindings/V8HTMLVideoElement.cpp : target thumb C++: libwebcore <=... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anyone like a challenge?

I have searched through google, and this forum to try and find the answer, but alas, nothing quite hits the whole answer. I am trying to read the last line (or lines) of some log files. I do this often. The files are named sequentially, using the date as part of the file name, and appending... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: BatterBits
18 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)