Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting put an interactive script in background after taking input Post 302167886 by fimblo on Friday 15th of February 2008 06:44:20 PM
Old 02-15-2008
place the stuff you want done in the background inside parens, and add the ampersand at the end of the block, like so:

Code:
date
echo "Enter location"
LOCATION=
read LOCATION
(
 sleep 3
 date
) &

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive ftp get/put

Hi All, I'm trying to get this to work but when I execute it I get the following error ./ftp_upload.sh: line 78: syntax error: unexpected end of file. This was working before I expanded the script and had the here document part directly below within a function. Can anyone spot what I've... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: darrenm
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to execute Oracle query taking input from a file to form query

Hi, I need to query Oracle database for 100 users. I have these 100 users in a file. I need a shell script which would read this User file (one user at a time) & query database. For instance: USER CITY --------- ---------- A CITY_A B CITY_B C ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevendraG
2 Replies

3. Programming

Run interactive program in background and grep it

I need to run an interactive program in the background so I can grep it for specific data to use for some logic in a script. There is no quiet or background mode on the program so I plan to redirect a document with commands in it and then to grep the output. This is almost working, except... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: doonan_79
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files older than x days and also taking an input for multiple paths

Hi , I am a newbie!!! I want to develop a script for deleting files older than x days from multiple paths. Now I could reach upto this piece of code which deletes files older than x days from a particular path. How do I enhance it to have an input from a .txt file or a .dat file? For eg:... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive script with background

I have script, which need some variable from user and i use below command for this read this script works fine while running without background, but when i run this script in background, it ask first variable then immediately it show below error KSH variable not found please let me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
1 Replies

6. Linux

Not able to put ls -lR command in background

Hi All, i am trying to put ls -lRt command to run in the background but it fails. i continue to get output on screen and didnt get the command prompt right after i put the command in background. command i am using is ls -lRt & i am using bash. Can someone let me know how to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux Console for Interactive Input Script

Hi there, How do I enter command to the interactive console. I was able to do it via the first line. What if I have more lines to input into the interactive console from line 3 onwards. Is there a more easier way? (echo -e "load openvas" ; echo -e "openvas_help") | msfconsole ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put currently running script into background

Hi All, Suppose I have a script and inside it I want/need to put it into background. I need the script to not react to SIGHUP signals. I tried: #!/bin/bash echo "" > test_disown mypid=$$ echo "PID=$mypid" ( kill -SIGSTOP $mypid jobs > myjobs #disown -h <job-spec> #kill -SIGCONT $mypid )... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackK
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in taking input Shell script

I was writing a shell script, where i need to run a command through script and then take input from user and later terminate it. i am not sure how to take input in a proper format immediately after a command. example: below command line is used to import some data in to database (LDAP)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mridul17
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recording user input from interactive shell script

Hello, I want to start out by saying that I am fairly new to scripting and am looking for someone that can point me in the right direction. Basically what I need is a way to run a interactive script that will prompt users with questions weather that be yes/no or a specific answer.. I want to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoutcast
3 Replies
SLEEP(3)								 1								  SLEEP(3)

sleep - Delay execution

SYNOPSIS
int sleep (int $seconds) DESCRIPTION
Delays the program execution for the given number of $seconds. PARAMETERS
o $seconds - Halt time in seconds. RETURN VALUES
Returns zero on success, or FALSE on error. If the call was interrupted by a signal, sleep(3) returns a non-zero value. On Windows, this value will always be 192 (the value of the WAIT_IO_COMPLETION constant within the Windows API). On other platforms, the return value will be the number of seconds left to sleep. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS If the specified number of $seconds is negative, this function will generate a E_WARNING. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.4 | | | | | | | Before PHP 5.3.4, on Windows, sleep(3) always | | | returns NULL when sleep has occurred, regardless | | | of whether the sleep was interrupted or not. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 sleep(3) example <?php // current time echo date('h:i:s') . " "; // sleep for 10 seconds sleep(10); // wake up ! echo date('h:i:s') . " "; ?> This example will output (after 10 seconds) 05:31:23 05:31:33 SEE ALSO
usleep(3), time_nanosleep(3), time_sleep_until(3), set_time_limit(3). PHP Documentation Group SLEEP(3)