Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to quickly show Nth line from the file Post 302167565 by System Shock on Thursday 14th of February 2008 09:44:27 PM
Old 02-14-2008
Code:
 sed 'NUMBERq;d' file

.. where NUMBER is the line number you want displayed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get nth line from a file usuing commands

Hi to all, I have a file with 1000 lines,Now i need to get 789th record.So please any one help me out from this. Thanks in advance. Sathish (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsathishmca
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

displaying nth line of a file dynamically

Hi, I have a file split.txt with the following contents one two three four five Suppose if i want to display contents of line 3, I know this could be achieved using the command sed -n '3p' split.txt But I need the line number to be decided dynamically like a=3 sed -n '$ap'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deanamrita
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file after nth line

I know how to read a file line by line. But don't to how to skip to a line matching a criteria and then continue reading it till the end. This is a log file. The input is a timestamp. 1. Find the timestamp in the log file 2. Read the remaining lines one at a time till EOF. How can I do... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: avinthm
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find third(nth) word in all line from a file

For example i'm having the below contents in a file: expr is great when you want to split a string into just two parts. The .* also makes expr good for skipping a variable number of words when you don't know how many words a string will have. But expr is lousy for getting, say, the fourth word... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bangarukannan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start reading from the nth line till the last line of a file.

Hi, For my reuirement, I have to read a file from the 2nd line till the last line<EOF>. Say, I have a file as test.txt, which as a header record in the first line followed by records in rest of the lines. for i in `cat test.txt` { echo $i } While doing the above loop, I have read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating average for every Nth line in the Nth column

Is there an awk script that can easily perform the following operation? I have a data file that is in the format of 1944-12,5.6 1945-01,9.8 1945-02,6.7 1945-03,9.3 1945-04,5.9 1945-05,0.7 1945-06,0.0 1945-07,0.0 1945-08,0.0 1945-09,0.0 1945-10,0.2 1945-11,10.5 1945-12,22.3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file from the nth line on

I have a script which reads from a job file and executed the scripts in the job file in sequence. #! /bin/ksh set -x while read line do $line.ksh if # mail the team fi done <"$file" The job file will be like abcd efgh ijkl mnop qrst This is working fine. I need to add... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nw2unx123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print nth line in a file

Bash/Oracle Linux 6.4 A basic requirement. How can I get nth line of a file printed ? Can I use grep in this case ? Example: In the below file, 12th line is "Kernel parameter check passed for rmem_max" . I just want the 12 line to be printed. # cat sometext.txt Kernel version check... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert a line of text on nth line of a file

Hi All, I am using UNix Sun OS sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise My intention is to insert a line of text after 13th line of every file inside a particular directory. While trying to do it for a single file , i am using sed sed '3 i this is the 4th line' filename sed: command garbled: 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
ptpd(8) 						  Precision Time Protocol daemon						   ptpd(8)

NAME
ptpd - Precision Time Protocol daemon (1588-2008) SYNOPSIS
ptpd [?] [-c] [-S] [-f FILE] [-R FILE] [-d] [-D] [-x] [-M NUMBER] [-t] [-T ttl] [-a NUMBER,NUMBER] [-w NUMBER] [-b NAME] [-u ADDRESS] [-e] [-h] [-l NUMBER,NUMBER] [-o NUMBER] [-i NUMBER] [-n NUMBER] [-y NUMBER] [-m NUMBER] [-g] [-v NUMBER] [-r NUMBER] [-s NUMBER] [-p NUMBER] [-q NUMBER] DESCRIPTION
Implements the Precision Time Protocol (PTP) Version 2 as defined by the IEEE 1588-2008 standard. PTP was developed to provide very precise time coordination of LAN connected computers. PTPd is a complete implementation of the IEEE 1588 v2 specification for a standard (ordinary) clock. PTPd has been tested with and is known to work properly with other IEEE 1588 implementations. The source code for PTPd is freely available under a BSD-style license. Thanks to contributions from users, PTPd is becoming an increasingly portable, interoperable, and stable IEEE 1588 implementation. For more information, see http://ptpd.sourceforge.net/ OPTIONS
-? display a short help text -c run in command line (non-daemon) mode -S log information to syslog -f FILE send output to FILE -R FILE record a quality FILE -d display stats -D display stats in .csv format -x do not reset the clock if off by more than one second -M NUMBER do not reset the clock if off by more than NUMBER nanoseconds -t do not adjust the system clock -T set multicast TTL for packets. Defaults to 1. -a NUMBER,NUMBER specify clock servo P and I attenuations -w NUMBER specify one way delay filter stiffness -b NAME bind PTP to network interface NAME -u ADDRESS also send uni-cast to ADDRESS -e run in ethernet mode (level2) -h run in End to End mode -l NUMBER,NUMBER specify inbound, outbound latency in nsec -o NUMBER specify current UTC offset -i NUMBER specify PTP domain number -n NUMBER specify announce interval in 2^NUMBER sec -y NUMBER specify sync interval in 2^NUMBER sec -m NUMBER specify max number of foreign master records -g run as slave only -v NUMBER specify system clock allen variance -r NUMBER specify system clock accuracy -s NUMBER specify system clock class -p NUMBER specify priority1 attribute -q NUMBER specify priority2 attribute AUTHOR
Gael Mace <gael_mace@users.sourceforge.net> & Alexandre Van Kempen. Steven Kreuzer <skreuzer@freebsd.org> George Neville-Neil <gnn@freebsd.org> This manual page was written by Gael Mace for any Linux environment project. version 2.1.0 October, 2010 ptpd(8)