Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ls positional parameter
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ls positional parameter Post 302167310 by agn on Thursday 14th of February 2008 04:26:28 AM
Old 02-14-2008
What you need is "$*" or "$@" . xxx* gets expanded by the shell before being passed to the script. So $1 is xxx01 which is what you see.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Positional Parameters

Hello, I am using the Bourne shell. I am trying to understand the concept of positional parameters. I do understand that positional parameters: 1. Are initialized by shell 2. Have a max of 9 parameters ($1 to $9) 3. Have no limit on the number of arguments 4. Can be rearranged... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericelysia
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

positional grep

Hi All, I am using positional grep. when i am passing pattern as parameter it is not working where as for hardcoded value it is working. Does any body has any idea ? e.g. export Name=1234 grep -e '^.\{15\}$Name' FileName {result no record found} grep -e '^.\{15\}1234' FileName correct... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Manish Jha
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do I make dynamic parameter names? Or get the value of a parameter evaluated twi

Say I write something like the following: var1=1 var2=2 for int in 1 2 do echo "\$var$int" done I want the output to be: 1 2 Instead I get something like: $var1 $var2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Awanka
2 Replies

4. AIX

ls positional parameter

Hi . I am new to Unix. So i have a tough time. we are using Korn Shell. I have a scenario where i have three files namely xxx01,xxx02,xxx03. Now when i write ls xxx*|wc -l output is 3. But then i write `ls $1|wc -l` and pass xxx* as positional parameter (sh yyy.sh xxx*) output is xxx01. other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Positional Parameters

Can someone tell me in more layman's terms what positional parameters are and give a good example? My book again is confusing me. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Positional parameter passing

Hi All, When passing parameters to a sheel script, the parameters are referenced by their positions such as $1 for first parameter, $2 for second parameter. these positional values can only have values ranging from $0-$9 (0,1,2,3...9). I have a shell script meant to accept 20 parameters. for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ogologoma
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Define Positional Parameter Range Awk

Hello All, I am trying to clean up a poorly looking awk command. I am searching for a way to define a range of positional parameters. I may not be searching for the correct syntax. Example: awk ' /14:3*/ {print $2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9,$10,$11,$12,$13}' app.log Is it possible to shorten... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting unknown positional parameter in Bourne shell

I have a variable that contains the number of a positional parameter. There is no way of knowing what number this may be, although it is guaranteed to correspond with a valid parameter. In BASH I could just use ${@} to extract that argument. But in a Bourne shell the best I can come up with is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mij
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command that takes one parameter and then searches for the passed in parameter

Hi I am looking for a unix command or a small shell script which can takes one parameter and then searches for the passed in the parameter in any or all files under say /home/dev/ Can anyone please help me on this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter to script, and split the parameter

i am passing input parameter 'one_two' to the script , the script output should display the result as below one_1two one_2two one_3two if then echo " Usage : <$0> <DATABASE> " exit 0 else for DB in 1 2 3 do DBname=`$DATABASE | awk -F "_" '{print $1_${DB}_$2}` done fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
5 Replies
CPANPLUS::Shell(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					CPANPLUS::Shell(3)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Shell - base class for CPANPLUS shells SYNOPSIS
use CPANPLUS::Shell; # load the shell indicated by your # config -- defaults to # CPANPLUS::Shell::Default use CPANPLUS::Shell qw[Classic] # load CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic; my $ui = CPANPLUS::Shell->new(); my $name = $ui->which; # Find out what shell you loaded $ui->shell; # run the ui shell DESCRIPTION
This module is the generic loading (and base class) for all "CPANPLUS" shells. Through this module you can load any installed "CPANPLUS" shell. Just about all the functionality is provided by the shell that you have loaded, and not by this class (which merely functions as a generic loading class), so please consult the documentation of your shell of choice. BUG REPORTS
Please report bugs or other issues to <bug-cpanplus@rt.cpan.org<gt>. AUTHOR
This module by Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT
The CPAN++ interface (of which this module is a part of) is copyright (c) 2001 - 2007, Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you may redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default, CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic, cpanp perl v5.16.3 2013-05-20 CPANPLUS::Shell(3)