Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix shell script for finding top ten files of maximum size Post 302167302 by abhilashnair on Thursday 14th of February 2008 03:38:03 AM
Old 02-14-2008
Any thoughts on this?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top ten utilities in shell scripting?

Let's get some feedback about the top ten ute's you guys use in writing your scripts - I mean yeah it depends on the job and what you're trying to accomplish, but there ARE those commands (sed, grep, awk, cut, etc.) that most will use time and again... ...so, what do you use? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: diego
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum size of a file in unix

What's the maximum file size supported by unix. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display top ten directories by size

Hi, I am new to Unix. I want to display top 10 folders by size. I tried with du -ksl * | sort -nr | head -10 command .But I am getting the following error -bash: /usr/bin/du: Argument list too long Can some one help me. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to auto process ten random files and generate logs

Hello member's I'm learning to script in the ksh environment on a Solaris Box. I have 10 files in a directory that I need to pass, as input to a batch job one by one. lets say, the files are named as follows: abcd.txt ; efgh.bat ; wxyz.temp etc. (random filenames with varied extensions ).... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novice82
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell script to query linux top consuming processes

Hi All, O/S: Linux 86x64 Red Hat I have a sql script that queries top consuming processes of Linux using TOP commnd. Now I need to automate this task and pass the top processes i.e., PID to the sql script through unix shell script. Could anyone please let me know how to achieve this. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script - not finding files

Hello, I have a shell script like the one below but cannot get it working: #!/bin/bash #$ -cwd CHR=$2 # directories ROOT_DIR=./ RESULTS_DIR=${ROOT_DIR}results/ # executable SHAPEIT_EXEC=${ROOT_DIR}shapeit.v2.r727.linux.x64/shapeit.v2.r727.linux.x64 # parameters THREAT=5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmelroy
1 Replies
LR_RUN.IN(1)						  LogReport's Lire Documentation					      LR_RUN.IN(1)

NAME
lr_run - run a Lire program and deal with the logging output SYNOPSIS
lr_run program arguments DESCRIPTION
lr_run runs program, and redirects program's stderr output to logger(1). It parses programs logging output, and sets logger(1)'s flags accordingly. lr_run gets configuration from sysconfdir/lire/defaults. In case 'lr_logging_method' is set to 'stderr', logger(1) is not involved: logging output gets redirected to stderr. In case 'lr_debug' is set to the empty string, messages with loglevel debug and info get suppressed. The configuration variable 'lr_logging_facility' is used to find logger(1)'s facility. NOTES
program's output on stderr should be in format superservice service id programname level message. level should be one of: emerg (system is unusable), alert (action must be taken immediately), crit (critical conditions), err (error conditions), warning (warning conditions), notice (normal, but significant, condition), info (informational message), debug (debug-level message). See syslog(3). id can be used to tag each Lire job, so that these can get tracked. programname should be the name of the program which generated the log line. EXAMPLES
To process a Postfix log and display the report as text, use $ lr_run lr_log2report postfix < /var/log/mail.log To process a Postfix log and create the report in HTML (packed up in a tar archive), use: $ lr_run lr_log2report -o html postfix < /var/log/mail.log > postfix.tar SEE ALSO
Documentation in the Lire User Manual VERSION
$Id: lr_run.in,v 1.23 2006/07/23 13:16:33 vanbaal Exp $ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Stichting LogReport Foundation LogReport@LogReport.org This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program (see COPYING); if not, check with http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html. THANKS
Rudi Sluijtman, for sharing some thoughts on shell scripting. AUTHOR
Joost van Baal <joostvb@logreport.org> Lire 2.1.1 2006-07-23 LR_RUN.IN(1)