Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Transposing string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Transposing string Post 302167182 by otheus on Wednesday 13th of February 2008 05:12:25 PM
Old 02-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by unibboy
Hello guys,

-but now if the use enter 'n' because it is in the random word, i would then display to them n---
and so until they get all the letters

i have used a while loop, but i seem to be loosing previously guessed letters

I just want guidance

Code:
# pseudo code

random_word=`generate_random_word`
guessed_letters=`echo $random_word | sed -e 's/./-/gp'`
guesses=0
max_guesses=26

while ( $random_word != $guessed_letters  && $guesses < $max_guesses ) {
  # If the input can be found in $random_word, 
  #   replace the same position  in $guessed_letters with that input. 
  # 
  # ++$guesses

print $guessed_letters
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

transposing letters

Hi, I've written a shell function in bash that reads letters into an array, then outputs them in one column with: for n in "${array}"; do echo $n done I was wondering if anyone knew how i would transpose the letters that are output by the for loop. Right now my output is: aabbcc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: myscsa2004
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

file transposing

Hello, Is there a way to transpose a file in shell scripting? For instance, from a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 a6 a7 .... b1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7 .... c1 c2 c3 c4 c5 c6 c7 .... d1 d2 d3 d4 d5 d6 d7 ... ... ... ... to a1 b1 c1 d1 .... a2 b2 c2 d2 .... a3 b3 c3 d3 .... a4 b3 c3 d4 .... ... ... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskcc
24 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another transposing issue

Hello I need to sort a file with data such as so it breaks on column 1 and all the data in column 2 is sorted into rows with a unique column 1: 1 5 1 6 1 7 2 3 2 4 3 7 3 0 3 9 So it comes out as: 1 5 6 7 2 3 4 3 7 0 9 I've tried many iterations of nawk but can't get it... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevesmith
14 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

More than transposing!

Hi everyone, I have a poblem like that: I have a file which includes data looks like: 0.65214 0.3597 1.0 0.65244 0.3502 1.0 0.65273 0.3553 1.0 0.65305 0.3544 1.0 0.65327 0.3505 1.0 0.65359 0.3516 1.0 0.65578 0.6464 1.0 0.65605 0.6453 1.0 0.65633 0.6437 1.0 0.65660 0.6488 1.0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bulash
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transposing a file

i have a file as: 1 2 3 4 5 i want output as : 1 2 3 4 5 can anybody help on this?? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_kesarwani
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transposing a file

Hi All, I have a input file say FILEA. FILEA -------- empid1 sal1 location1 manager1 empid2 sal2 location2 manager2 empid3 sal3 location3 manager3 . . . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 46019
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transposing rows into columns

I have a file like the one given below P1|V1|V2 P1|V1|V3 P1V1|V2 P2|V1|V4 P2|V2|V6 P2|V1|V4 I want it convert to P1|V1|V2|V2|V3 P2|V1|V4|V2|V6 2nd and 3rd column should be considered as together and so the tird row is duplicate Any ideas? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, string as record separator, transposing rows into columns

I'm working on a different stage of a project that someone helped me address elsewhere in these threads. The .docs I'm cycling through look roughly like this: 1 of 26 DOCUMENTS Copyright 2010 The Age Company Limited All Rights Reserved The Age (Melbourne, Australia) November 27, 2010... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: spindoctor
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transposing text using AWK

Well I thought that this would be a fairly straight forward operation but perhaps I'm complicating it more in my mind. I have a simple data.txt file containing candidate information in the following format: "ANTONIA ROJAS SALES" "Feminino" "13/06/1954" "Casado(a)" "Brasileira... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveyabe
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transposing a file

Hi Guys, I have file containing this kind of format below: ======== MOBILITY EVENT (G): ATTACH REJECT ========= Time : <date_time> Node : <node> GMM Cause : <code> Details : <details> Attach : <attach type> IMSI : <imsi> PTMSI : <ptmsi> RA New : <ra new> RA... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
9 Replies
randomword(3)						     Library Functions Manual						     randomword(3)

NAME
randomword, randomchars, randomletters - Generate random passwords (Enhanced Security) LIBRARY
Security Library - libsecurity.so SYNOPSIS
int randomchars( char *string, unsigned short int minlen, unsigned short int maxlen, boolean restrict, long seed); int randomletters( char *string, unsigned short int minlen, unsigned short int maxlen, boolean restrict, long seed); int randomword( char *word, char *hyphenated_word, unsigned short int minlen, unsigned short int maxlen, boolean restrict, long seed); PARAMETERS
Points at a user-supplied space to contain a null-terminated password. Specifies the minimum length that a generated word can have. Spec- ifies the maximum length that a generated word can have. Specifies whether restrictions are to be imposed on the generated word. This is a boolean integer, where a non-zero integer indications restrictions and a 0 (zero) indicates no restrictions. Specifies an initial seed for the random number generator. Points at a user-supplied space to contain a null-terminated random pronounceable password. Contains the hyphenated version of the generated word. DESCRIPTION
These functions generate random passwords for use in password selection. All of them are generated by the system, based on seeds and set in the function. Such seeds can be created with the drand48(), rand(), or random() functions. The randomchars() function places a null-terminated password composed of random printable ASCII characters into the string parameter and returns the length of the generated string. The minlen parameter can equal maxlen, but cannot be greater than maxlen, and cannot be nega- tive. The user space preallocated is at least maxlen for string. The smaller minlen and maxlen are, the smaller the selection space of random words. The restrict parameter is 0 (zero) when no restrictions are placed on the generated word. It is nonzero when the words generated pass the tests of the acceptable_password() function. The seed parameter is used by the function only on the first time it is called; the parameter is ignored on subsequent calls. The randomletters() function places a null-terminated password composed of random lower-case letters into the string parameter and returns the length of the generated word. The minlen, maxlen, restrict, and seed parameters are the same as for the randomchars() function. The randomword() function places a null-terminated random pronounceable password into the word parameter and returns the length of the gen- erated word. The minlen, maxlen, restrict, and seed parameters are the same as for the randomchars() and randomletters() functions. The user space preallocated is at least 2*max - 1 for hyphenated_word. NOTES
The password generator relies on a random number generator that produces uniformly distributed integers. Because the password generator invokes the random number generator many times even for one word, the random number generator has to produce a uniform distribution. The period (distinct numbers produced given a particular seed) and number space (range of possible numbers) must both be large. The drand48() functions are used for this purpose. Programs using these functions must be compiled with -lsecurity. FILES
System password file. System group file. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: acceptable_password(3), drand48(3), rand(3), random(3). Commands: login(1), passwd(1). delim off randomword(3)