Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Sun Blade 100 Disk Compatibility Post 302167053 by daveg4any on Wednesday 13th of February 2008 10:50:45 AM
Old 02-13-2008
"yes and no"

The short answer to your question is "Yes and no"

Seriously, though, if this just a home machine and you don't have any Sun maintenance contracts on it, you should be ok.

I haven't had an IDE based machine to try this myself, but I've had a lot of my customers report success with running non-Sun IDE/ATA hard drives up to about 120GB in size successfully on their Ultra 5 or Ultra 10 machines.

However, there must be some kind of limitation because I've had a few customers try to put in 200GB+ drives and they all reported that either the drive is not seen by the OBP -- or, that the drive seen by the OBP, but not usable in the OS (i.e. can't load Solaris, etc)

Last edited by reborg; 02-26-2008 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: part of my post got cut off -- by a moderator.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

sun Blade 2000 and XVR100

hello, I have SunBlade 2000 with XVR-1000 graphics card. Xserver won't loaded. I've reinstalled OS 9 ( loaded Driver) nor 10 still won't do it. Anyone has this problem or have any ideas whats' wrong, greatly appreciated!! thanks in adv. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anphdula
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Clone disk for Sun Blade 2000

Hai ......... my name Rio, I want to clone my harddisk at Sun Balade 2000 server with Solaris 8 OS, my question is : a. what kind method for making backup or clonning disk ? b. what method more easier , quick but still reliable ? c. how to proceed it ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rioria
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sun blade 100 test-all frozen at pci@1f,0/usb/c,3

platform: sunblade 100 Solaris 10. When running a test-all from the ok prompt on this new (to me) system, it locks up at pci@1f,0/usb/c,3. It's been there for about 25 minutes. I do have a usb keyboard and mouse attached, both are known good. There is no flash stick/ thumb drive... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: montana77
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun Blade 100 Memory Upgrade

Hi, I've been a member for a while but have never posted. I have a Sun Blade 100 desktop and I just installed Solaris 10 and it is unbearably slow. I only have 128 Meg of RAM and need to upgrade. I have searched and found many online resources that have RAM, but I was wondering if anyone has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrewDudeBob
12 Replies

5. Solaris

Sun Blade 100 cdrom problems...

FYI noob to here and sun blades... I have a sun blade 100 and I can't get the cdrom to work. if i try using vold that doesn't seem to work either...maybe i'm not using it correctly. Upon boot you can open/close the cdrom and it runs but after i'm logged in it won't open and i can't access it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaun138
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Serial Connection sun blade 100 to pc

Hi, If someone please help as my efforts been exhausted in connecting my sun blade 100 serial to my pc. I am using null modem with DB9(female) in sun blade and DB9(female, using gender change) in pc. I am trying both hyper/putty 9600 8 N 1 configurations. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: younics
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Sun Blade 150 not a Sun?

I have recently re-installed Solaris 10 on a Sun Blade 150 followed by a patch set (10_Recommended) dated 2011.12.05. I have just noticed /bin/sun now returns false, rather than true. See below. $ uname -a SunOS myblade1 5.10 Generic_147440-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100 $ /bin/sparc &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apmcd47
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reinstalling Solaris 9 on Sun Blade 100

For the past ten years I have owned a blade 100, and I had Solaris 9 running on it. Due to the fact, 9 is woefully out of date, I wanted to try 10, but 10 needed more ram, so I beefed up the ram to the full 2 gig. I have two 15 gig ide drives in the box (stock drives). But unfortunately solaris... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardET
2 Replies

9. Solaris

help installing solaris 10 on sun blade 1500

Hi everyone can someone please explain to me how to install solaris 10 on a sunblade 1500 using cdrom? Thanks for your assistance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjashu
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SUN BLADE T6340 - which OS ?

Hi, I have server SUN BLADE T6340 and i tried install debian sparc on this machine. Will it work ? In the specification is written only Solaris 10. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PtaQ
4 Replies
atapi_ide(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					      atapi_ide(7)

NAME
atapi_ide - Interface for ATAPI or IDE (PC) devices SYNOPSIS
PCI bus CMD/Acer ATAPI/IDE adapter: bus pci0 at * bus ata0 at * controller scsi0 at ata0 slot 0 controller scsi1 at ata0 slot 1 PCI bus Cypress ATAPI/IDE adapter: bus pci0 at * bus ata0 at * bus ata1 at * controller scsi0 at ata0 slot 0 controller scsi1 at ata1 slot 0 PCMCIA bus ATA/IDE disk card: bus pcmcia0 at * bus ata0 at pcmcia? controller scsi0 at ata0 DESCRIPTION
Devices commonly known for their use on PC devices as ATA or IDE devices are supported using the SCSI CAM device driver. The ATA standard has also been expanded to include what are known as ATAPI devices. The SCSI CAM device driver is also used for those disks and CD-ROM devices. These devices may also be known under the names EIDE, ATA-2, Fast-ATA, or Ultra-ATA. Beacuse the ATA/IDE standard was not developed until after many of the devices that used this standard were produced, there are many devices which do not strictly comply with the standard. While it is possible some industry standard devices may appear to work, it is also possible they will cause hang or data corruption cases when used under more stressful situations. For this reason, it is recommended that only the supported devices be used. These devices have been tested and are certified for correct operation. ATAPI/IDE controllers allow the connection of two devices. These two devices are known as the master device and the slave device. If only one device is connected, that device must be the master (slave-only configurations are not supported). When used by the SCSI CAM device driver, the IDE master device is assigned SCSI id 0 for that controller. The slave device is assigned SCSI id 1 for that controller. No other SCSI ids are assigned on that controller. Most ATAPI/IDE adapters contain two channels (known as the primary and secondary). Each of these channels may contain their own master and slave devices. Therefore, a dual channel ATAPI/IDE controller may contain up to 4 devices (a master and slave pair on each channel). These 4 devices are then accessed as SCSI id 0 and 1 on each channel. Many SCSI operations translate perfectly for use on IDE. For example, read and write operations are the same. However, many SCSI disk mode pages are emulated by the IDE device driver. For example, you can display the SCSI inquiry mode pages using the following command: % scu show inq pages pages are created by the device driver to contain the long (full IDE) form of the device name, serial number, revision, and the operational modes of the device. Only a shortened version of this information is available with the standard SCSI inquiry command. Note also that the following command: % scu show pages Shows that the SCSI mode pages contain only partial information. Only that informa- tion (such as geometry) that the drive reports to the system is able to be reformatted into these emulated SCSI mode pages. Much of the information (such as RPM) is simply not available from the drive, and therefore not accurately reported. ATAPI devices are much more closely related to SCSI devices, and as such contain their own mode pages. Therefore, for these devices, the mode page values reported are those from the device, and no emulation is involved. ATAPI tape devices are not supported at this time. FILES
/dev/disk/dsk??? /dev/disk/dsk??? RELATED INFORMATION
SCSI(7), rz(7), and disklabel(8) delim off atapi_ide(7)