Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to create a list of entries without vi Post 302166861 by mpc8250 on Wednesday 13th of February 2008 01:56:11 AM
Old 02-13-2008
How to create a list of entries without vi

Hi

Is there a way to create a list of entries in a file without using vi to create this list ? I like to write a shell script that would create a list like this:

apple : 2
orange : 4
pear : 3

Any tips/suggestions ?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a dynamic list?

Hi falks, I need to write a function in k-shell which cd to root directory and ask the user which sub directory you want to tar. The user will select directories untill quit. How to do it? Thanks in advance, Nir (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a phone list

Is there a step by step instructions for creating a simple phone list? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: organcory
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create range from a list

Hello everyone, I am trying to create a script that will make a range or ranges based on a sorted list of numbers. Eg. If the list is like 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13 14 15 The output range should be: 1-7 12-15 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create list in command line

How do you create lists or arrays in the command line? And how do you access specific cells of the list? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a list of directory contents

Well I did a search and didn't anything for my specific case. I got a directory with a bunch of text file. All of them have the following pattern on the filename "ABCD_<As of Date>.txt" Example: ABCD_20110301.txt ABCD_20110302.txt ABCD_20110303.txt All I want to accomplish is a Korn... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shark Tek
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create files from a list and then populate them

I have a list of filenames that I want created - they must be created via a certain naming convention due to the software I'm using. Once they are created I have another file that will be used to populate them with data. So far this is what I have: #For each line in text file "foo_txt" create... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaindotC
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable to create a list

Hi all, I couldn't find an answer for this easy question, probably because the keywords I used in the search are too generic. I just want to make a list of numbers using the value of a variable, like this: NumFiles=$(ls | wc -l) for i in {1..$NumFiles}; do Say $NumFiles = 5. Bash... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aquila
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a list of missing files

Hello Guys I have a big list of files in one directory. And Some are missing . Example ls -l 2191off-r0.sps 2193off-r0.sps 2194off-r0.sps 2197off-r0.sps 2198off-r0.sps 2200off-r0.sps I would like to create a file with the list only missing files. Or if is possible to create in ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
4 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to create mailing list in openldap?

Hi. I want to create mailing list in my directory, however standart object classes groupOfUniqueNames and groupOfNames don't contain mail attribute. What is the common way to create mailing list in openldap? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Create a list from minimum and maximum

Using the input file for each row , using columns 1 (min) and 2 (max) , and with increment of 4 each time I want to create the output file. Input file 1000 1012 2000 2001 2000 2008 3000 3001 Output desired 1000 2000 2001 1004 2000 2001 1008 2000 2001 1012 2000 2001 2000 3000 3001... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
5 Replies
DH-MAKE-PEAR(1) 					     dh-make-pear User Manual						   DH-MAKE-PEAR(1)

NAME
dh-make-pear - Create debian source packages from pear modules SYNOPSIS
dh-make-pear [--help ] [--version ] [--rename ] [--arch any | all] [--state STATE] [--depends DEPENDS] [--maintainer MAINTAINER] [--prefix PREFIX] [--templatedir TEMPLATEDIR] [PACKAGE] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the dh-make-pear command. dh-make-pear creates the files required to build a debian source package from a PHP extension as it is distributed through PEAR. The last parameter passed to dh-make-pear can be either the .tgz archive containing the php extension or the name of the extension. In the second case dh-make-pear will first download the archive from http://pear.php.net. If dh-make-pear downloads the archive itself, it will always take the most recent version. dh-make-pear will by default create a directory named php-<pear-package-name> which will contain the debian files and the unpacked files from the extension. It will also create a symlink php-<pear-package-name>_<version>.orig.tar.gz pointing towards the original source. After creating the files you can go into then new directory and build the debian package with dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot. dh-make-pear tries to extract as much information about the package from the file package.xml which is part of the pear extension. Debian source packages created by dh-make-pear can later easily be updated with uscan. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, see the Info files. -h --help Show summary of options. -v --version Show version of program. --rename Do not link orig.tar.gz but move the source into .orig.tar.gz. --arch Set architecture of created debian source package to 'any' or 'all'. Defaults to 'all'. --state Set preferred state for downloaded package. Defaults to 'stable'. --depends Adds more packages to Depends: beside php-pear. --prefix Sets prefix of debian source package name. Each name ends in '<pear-package-name>'. Defaults to 'php-'. --maintainer Explicitly sets the maintainer. In most cases it will be propperly guessed by reading some of the environment variables. --templatedir Use a different directory with templates for the debian files. Defaults to /usr/share/dh-make-php/pear.template. ENVIRONMENT
DEBFULLNAME - get the real name of the maintainer LOGNAME or USER - get the username DEBEMAIL or EMAIL - get the email address of the user SEE ALSO
dh-make-pecl (1). AUTHOR
UWE STEINMANN <steinm@debian.org> Wrote this manpage for the Debian system. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004-2010 Uwe Steinmann This manual page was written for the Debian system (and may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 or (at your option) any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. dh-make-pear 09/01/2010 DH-MAKE-PEAR(1)