Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users any way to commit idle tasks in unix? Post 302166833 by fabulous2 on Wednesday 13th of February 2008 12:35:26 AM
Old 02-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
...use a tool like time
Code:
time my_benchmark_code parm1 parm2

Thanks for the tip--I was not aware of that command. I can see that it would be very useful for all kinds of benchmarking.

Unfortunately, it is not useful for my case, however. Maybe I should have put more details in original posting: I will be benchmarking various random code from within a Java program, and Java already offers APIs for accessing wall clock, system, and user times. So I already have all that functionality--in nice wonderful platform independent form.

I was just wondering if unix had the same idle task issue (and similar solution) as windows does.

Note: I will switch to using the term idle process below, as it looks like idle task in unix refers to a real specific process. (Maybe background process or daemon or something else would be a better term?)

You say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
What you are asking is kind of non-sequitur for unix.
A non-sequitur is a conclusion that does not follow from its premises--I was not aware that my mere inquiry had either premises or a conclusion!

Maybe what you mean is that my question simply has no meaning in unix. Is that because unix has no concept of idle processes like windows? Or is it because there is no way that idle processes can suddenly come alive in the middle of your benchmark like they can in windows?

The web searching that I did on the time command said nothing about it first committing idle processes, by the way.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Identifiy and Kill Idle Unix(SCO) Process called externally

Hi, Please let us know of any possiblity of identifying and killing unix proces invoked externally (by an external tool which does not create a session). 'who' command gives idle time of sessions. But what we are looking for is idle time of a process. 'ps' command gives the elapsed/running... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vbalajis
1 Replies

2. SCO

Scheduled tasks in SCO Unix 5.0.5

Hi. Am a unix 5.o.5 user. I need to schedule a program to be running everyday at 12 midnight. How do i proceed. I need help. Also what is the maximum size that sco unix can conveninetly handle. I keep getting this message. "Filesystem greater than device which it is curently located. Pls backup... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uzomaok
2 Replies

3. AIX

commit

good morning Can you explain to me what is a "commit" (aix 5.3) ? There is no man for this command. thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cvs diff then commit

I would like to run a cvs diff to check which files have been changed and then cvs commit these changed files. Does anyone have a shell script which will automate this process? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alangibson
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cvs[commit aborted]:'root is not allowed to commit changes'

Hi , can u please any one of you give solution for this .. when am tryring to commit files from the CVS in Myeclipse J2ee Environment . that i coundnt able to commit and getting the Following error message cvs :'root' is not allowd to commit files' am using redhat enterprise 5 Server . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rksubash
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

db2 commit for every 50 rows

I am writing a unix shell script for the archive purge job. During purging, the records will be deleted one by one. I didnot mention anything about db2 commit. By default, the records are commited one by one. Now I need to give commit for every 50 records deletion. The deletion part is as... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commit in PL/SQL using Shell script

Hi All, I have written a shell script in which i am updating records in a table. It is a PL/SQL block. I have to use PL/SQL block as i am using bms_application_info.set_module package But the problem is once the script completes, i cannot see the updated records in Table. I mean result is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

give ldap a/c during commit in commit line section

Is someone help me to achieve my goal I am working on a script actually script is working fine .The goal of script is restrict the user for something like while he is doing tocommit in repository he will commit with comment and with some parameter....here I have one more requirement and that is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
0 Replies
XtAppAddWorkProc()														XtAppAddWorkProc()

XtAppAddWorkProc - register a procedure to be called when the event loop is idle.

Synopsis
  XtWorkProcId XtAppAddWorkProc(app_context, proc, client_data)
	 XtAppContext app_context;
	 XtWorkProc proc;
	 XtPointer client_data;

Inputs
  app_context
	    Specifies the application context.

proc	    Specifies the procedure that is to be called when the application is idle.

client_data
	    Specifies data to be passed to proc when it is called.

Returns
  A handle of type XtWorkProcId that can be passed to XtRemoveWorkProc() to unregister the work procedure.

Description
  XtAddWorkProc()  registers  the  procedure proc and the data client_data to be called by XtAppNextEvent() or XtAppProcessEvent() when there
  are no pending input events and it would otherwise block.  Multiple work procedures can be registered, and the most recently added  one  is
  always  the  one  that  is called.  However, if a work procedure itself adds another work procedure, the newly added one has lower priority
  than the current one.

A work procedure returns a Boolean.  If it returns True, it will automatically be unregistered and will not be called again.	If it returns
  False it will be called the next time the application is idle.  See XtWorkProc(2) for more information.

Usage
  XtAppAddWorkProc() implements a limited form of background processing.  Most applications spend most of their time waiting for input; to do
  useful work during this idle time, you can register a work procedure that will run when the application is idle.

A work procedure must return quickly or the application will not be able to promptly respond to user events.	If a large task needs  to  be
  done	in  the background, the work procedure should periodically save its state and return False.  Work procedures should not be used to do
  frivolous work in the background.  In a multi-tasking system, an idle application should generally actually be idle, and not steal CPU time
  from other processes.

A work procedure can be explicitly removed by calling XtRemoveWorkProc() with the XtWorkProcId returned by this function.

Structures
  The XtWorkProcId type is defined as follows:

typedef unsigned long XtWorkProcId;

See Also
  XtAppNextEvent(1), XtAppProcessEvent(1), XtRemoveWorkProc(1),
  XtWorkProc(2).

Xt - Event Handling														XtAppAddWorkProc()