Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing text from a line in a file Post 302166800 by agn on Tuesday 12th of February 2008 11:51:30 PM
Old 02-13-2008
Same thing can be achieved by

Code:
sed 's/\(.*\) nul.*/\1]/' inuput_file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing commas from text file

Dear all I have a file which looks like this xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,xxx,xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,xxx,xxxxxxxxxx etc basically 14 characters then a comma, three characters, then a comma then 10 characters. We are uploading this file to our mainframe and they want the commas removed, so it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing lines in a text file.

Here is my problem I'm hoping you guru's can help me figure out. I have a text file that contains comma delimited columns. What I'm looking to do is see if the 24th column on each row in the file contains a value (not null), and then write/append that line to a different file. I've been... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: WABonnett
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing a particular line from a text file

Hi, I have a file called inp.txt the contents of the file are as follows MANI123|23|41 MANI123|96|23 I want to reove the first line of this file. How can I do it. Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani123
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed question (Removing a line of text)

I am working with bash on HP-UX server at school. As practice for scripting, I am trying to make a pretend server admin script that adds a user to the system, deletes a user from the system, and lists all users of the pretend system. I have accomplished this with a select loop. Adding users, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterscout1977
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing a string of text from a file - help please

Hey Folks, I have a file that contains data that I am working with, sometimes this file has a very long string of text that messes with an awk command in a script i am trying to build. I would like to cut this string of text out of a file and then redirect everything except that string to a new... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepslp
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removing line from text

Hey everyone, I kinda new to shell programming and learning bits and pieces of stuff from tutorials. I got this problem, where I asked my user to enter a string, which will delete a specific line in the string, which I'm unable to do it. Text file(BookDB.txt) as shown: Three Little... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aLHaNz
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing zero values from text file

Hi all, I wrote the following code to remove the value which are 0 in the input file (a columns if numbers). awk 'BEGIN { for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) if ($i) printf("%13.6e\n",$i) }' $1 >> $2 The script works if the zeros are written as 0.0000 but not as 0.000000e+00 In... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
10 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Removing anything from text file except specific string

So, I have a text file that looks like this: 0,0: (168,168,176) #A8A8B0 srgb(168,168,176) 1,0: (168,168,176) #A8A8B0 srgb(168,168,176) 2,0: (166,166,174) #A6A6AE srgb(166,166,174) 3,0: (166,166,174) #A6A6AE srgb(166,166,174) 4,0: (168,168,176) #A8A8B0 srgb(168,168,176) 5,0:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing PATTERN from txt without removing lines and general text formatting

Hi Everybody! First post! Totally noobie. I'm using the terminal to read a poorly formatted book. The text file contains, in the middle of paragraphs, hyphenation to split words that are supposed to be on multiple pages. It looks ve -- ry much like this. I was hoping to use grep -v " -- "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxeHandle
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing \n from a text file

Hi All, I have a question regarding text substitution. I have a file that contains a lot of text. Some of the text is separated with a \n like: TEST\nTEST2\nTEST3 BLA\nBLA2\nBLA3 So there are both actual newlines and 'used to be newlines' in the text. using tr tr "\n" "," or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JaapSchuurman
5 Replies
MBSRTOWCS(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					      MBSRTOWCS(3)

NAME
mbsrtowcs -- converts a multibyte character string to a wide-character string (restartable) LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <wchar.h> size_t mbsrtowcs(wchar_t * restrict pwcs, const char ** restrict s, size_t n, mbstate_t * restrict ps); DESCRIPTION
The mbsrtowcs() converts the multibyte character string indirectly pointed to by s to the corresponding wide-character string, and stores it in the array pointed to by pwcs. The conversion stops due to the following reasons: o The conversion reaches a nul byte. In this case, the nul byte is also converted. o The mbsrtowcs() has already stored n wide characters. o The conversion encounters an invalid character. Each character will be converted as if mbrtowc(3) is continuously called. After conversion, if pwcs is not a null pointer, the pointer object pointed to by s is a null pointer (if the conversion is stopped due to reaching a nul byte) or the first byte of the character just after the last character converted. If pwcs is not a null pointer and the conversion is stopped due to reaching a nul byte, the mbsrtowcs() places the state object pointed to by ps to an initial state after the conversion has taken place. The behaviour of mbsrtowcs() is affected by the LC_CTYPE category of the current locale. These are the special cases: s == NULL || *s == NULL Undefined (may cause the program to crash). pwcs == NULL The conversion has taken place, but the resulting wide-character string was discarded. In this case, the pointer object pointed to by s is not modified and n is ignored. ps == NULL The mbsrtowcs() uses its own internal state object to keep the conversion state, instead of ps mentioned in this manual page. Calling any other functions in Standard C Library (libc, -lc) never changes the internal state of mbsrtowcs(), which is ini- tialized at startup time of the program. RETURN VALUES
mbsrtowcs() returns: 0 or positive The value returned is the number of elements stored in the array pointed to by pwcs, except for a terminating nul wide charac- ter (if any). If pwcs is not NULL and the value returned is equal to n, the wide-character string pointed to by pwcs is not nul-terminated. If pwcs is a null pointer, the value returned is the number of elements to contain the whole string converted, except for a terminating nul wide character. (size_t)-1 The array indirectly pointed to by s contains a byte sequence forming invalid character. In this case, mbsrtowcs() sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
mbsrtowcs() may cause an error in the following case: [EILSEQ] The pointer pointed to by s points to an invalid or incomplete multibyte character. [EINVAL] ps points to an invalid or uninitialized mbstate_t object. SEE ALSO
mbrtowc(3), mbstowcs(3), setlocale(3) STANDARDS
The mbsrtowcs() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9899/AMD1:1995 (``ISO C90, Amendment 1''). The restrict qualifier is added at ISO/IEC 9899:1999 (``ISO C99''). BSD
February 4, 2002 BSD