Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: changing text
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting changing text Post 302166796 by summer_cherry on Tuesday 12th of February 2008 11:07:35 PM
Old 02-13-2008
sed

Hi,

Try this one.

Code:
echo "if this was a line" | sed 's/\(.\{3\}\)\(.\{4\}\)/\1/'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing text with sed?

Hi everyone, Having trouble with sed. I searched the board and found some stuff, but still unclear. I have a file named "userfile" which stores the users info in this form: email:username:password: I want the user to be able to change their password. i tried with sed s/oldpass/newpass/g... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing last 2 digits of text

I have a text file with a bunch of ethernet port names and host names. I need to just change the last 2 chars on each line to a new number how can I do this quickly? from ethernet5/35 Net01 ethernet5/36 Net01 ethernet5/37 Net01 ethernet5/38 Net01 to ethernet5/35 Net02 ethernet5/36... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing Text Color Using VT100

Hi, I want to change the color of the text. Currently, I am using the following VT100 command, which changes the color of the foreground: <ESC>[{attr1};...;{attrn}m The problem is, when I change the color of the foreground, it changes the color of the text as expected, but it also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abed Alnaif
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing text in the command prompt

Hi, I want to change my command prompt to contain the current username and the current directory in it, instead of just the '$' symbol. I tried the command:- export PS1="$(echo \\n$) " But whenever I switch the user or change the directory, the changes are not reflected in the command... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: unipepper
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the text file format

Hi, I have a shell script to unload all the empname who have salary >50000 from the emp table into a text file(empname.txt) . m_db unload "$dbc_file" -column_delimiter ',' -select "SELECT empname FROM emp where salary > 50000" >> empname.txt Now my text file have data in the following format ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
3 Replies

6. Programming

changing text color in c

I'm writing my own Unix ls command in c and I was wondering if anyone knows how to or can point me to a tutorial that shows me how to change the text color of the filename depending on if it's a directory, regular file, linked file, etc..., like the real ls command does? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snag49ers
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing a text file

I have a file as below and want to change it using awk I want to find the entries such as Iteration No.788 Best Value 0.00408152 Next-Worst Value 0.00522935 Worst Value 0.00523487 and change it to Iteration No.788 788. Best Value = 0.00408152 788. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Text with sed or awk

I'm changing some html code on multiple web pages and I need to match particular phrases but keep some text within each phrase. E.G. I need to change this line: <DIV id="heading">Description:</DIV> into <span class="hlred">Description:</span><br /> The text "Description:" may... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hal8000
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing text in multiple files, but with different text for each file

Hello, I have a situation where I want to change a line of text in multiple files, but the problem is that I want to change the text to something unique for each file. For example, let's say I have five files named bob.txt, joe.txt, john.txt, tom.txt, and zach.txt. Each of these files has a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scatterbrain26
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with changing text file layout

Hi there, I am with this one column input text file to change layout, please help. Thanks. I have awk, sed. $ cat input Median 1.0 2.3 3.0 Median 35.0 26.3 45.7 10.1 63.1 Median 1.2 2.3 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwzkevin
8 Replies
pbmtext(1)						      General Commands Manual							pbmtext(1)

NAME
pbmtext - render text into a bitmap SYNOPSIS
pbmtext [-font fontfile] [-builtin fontname] [-space pixels] [-lspace pixels] [text] DESCRIPTION
Takes the specified text, either a single line from the command line or multiple lines from standard input, and renders it into a bitmap. In the bitmap, each line of input is a line of output. Formatting characters such as newline have no effect on the formatting; like any unprintable character, they turn into spaces. The bitmap is just wide enough for the longest line of text, plus margins, and just high enough to contain the lines of text, plus margins. The left and right margins are twice the width of the widest character in the font; the top and bottom margins are the height of the tallest character in the font. But if the text is only one line, all the margins are half of this. OPTIONS
-font,-builtin By default, pbmtext uses a built-in font called bdf (about a 10 point Times-Roman font). You can use a fixed width font by specify- ing -builtin fixed. You can also specify your own font with the -font flag. The fontfile is either a BDF file from the X window system or a PBM file. If the fontfile is a PBM file, it is created in a very specific way. In your window system of choice, display the following text in the desired (fixed-width) font: M ",/^_[`jpqy| M / !"#$%&'()*+ / < ,-./01234567 < > 89:;<=>?@ABC > @ DEFGHIJKLMNO @ _ PQRSTUVWXYZ[ _ { ]^_`abcdefg { } hijklmnopqrs } ~ tuvwxyz{|}~ ~ M ",/^_[`jpqy| M Do a screen grab or window dump of that text, using for instance xwd, xgrabsc, or screendump. Convert the result into a pbm file. If necessary, use pnmcut to remove everything except the text. Finally, run it through pnmcrop to make sure the edges are right up against the text. pbmtext can figure out the sizes and spacings from that. -space pixels Add pixels pixels of space between characters. This is in addition to whatever space surrounding characters is built into the font, which is usually enough to produce a reasonable string of text. pixels may be negative to crowd text together, but the author has not put much thought or testing into how this works in every pos- sible case, so it might cause disastrous results. -B -lspace pixels Add pixels pixels of space between lines. This is in addition to whatever space above and below characters is built into the font, which is usually enough to produce a reasonable line spacing. pixels must be a whole number. pixels may be negative to crowd lines together, but the author has not put much thought or testing into how this works in every pos- sible case, so it might cause disastrous results. USAGE
Often, you want to place text over another image. One way to do this is with ppmlabel. ppmlabel does not give you the font options that pbmtext does, though. Another way is to use pbmtext to create an image containing the text, then use pnmcomp to overlay the text image onto your base image. To make only the text (and not the entire rectangle containing it) cover the base image, you will need to give pnmcomp a mask, via its -alpha option. You can just use the text image itself as the mask, as long as you also specify the -invert option to pnmcomp. If you want to overlay colored text instead of black, just use ppmchange to change all black pixels to the color of your choice before overlaying the text image. But still use the original black and white image for the alpha mask. If you want the text at an angle, use pnmrotate on the text image (and alpha mask) before overlaying. SEE ALSO
pnmcut(1), pnmcrop(1), pnmcomp(1), ppmchange(1), pnmrotate(1), pbmtextps(1), ppmlabel(1), pbm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1993 by Jef Poskanzer and George Phillips 28 January 2001 pbmtext(1)