Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Why are the changes done to fs-root, not reflecting? Post 302166696 by wrapster on Tuesday 12th of February 2008 01:25:06 PM
Old 02-12-2008
Why are the changes done to fs-root, not reflecting?

Hi all,

I am trying to modify the file fs-root (on belenix).
Here is the problem..

I just wanted to check whether any modifications done to the file will be reflected when its booted up, so just echoed a statement and saved it back to the cd and then booted it..

Unfortunately it did not reflect the changes i had made,however when i opened up tat file,the modifications i did were very much present..

How is this possible?
Also how do i make my changes visible?
please help me out!!!Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

2. AIX

Can't login root account due to can't find root shell

Hi, yesterday, I changed root's shell in /etc/passwd, cause a mistake then I can not log in root account (can't find correct shell). I attempted to log in single-mode, however, it prompted for single-mode's password then I type root's password but still can not log in. I'm using AIX 5L version 5.2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neikel
2 Replies

3. Solaris

mount point not reflecting actual utilization.

HI , I could see in df -k output that a mount point is 100% full. But i could not find any files with huge size that can be removed. So, i have umounted and mounted the filesystem again. Now, in my df -k output i could see that th eutilization is only 7%. Can anyone please suggest what... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sag71155
3 Replies

4. AIX

HACMP LV size is not reflecting

Hi i increased the lv size using smit hacmp. but, the new size is not reflecting.. why?. the pp size is 512 MB. before it was 4 PP's. i increased to 10 PP's. when i type df -m /xxx.. it is showing 2GB only. see the info below.. root@db:/ > df -m /xxx/xxx Filesystem MB blocks Free... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honeym210
2 Replies

5. Programming

Problem in reflecting changes made on a JSP File

I make some changes in a JSP file but the changes do not reflect on tomcat server. In my server.xml 'reloadable' paramtere is set to true. I even treid restarting the server. The changes still not reflect. The changes do reflect in a day or two. am not sure why this is happening. Shall... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shikha Agrawal
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Lost Root Password on VXVM Encapsulated Root Disk

Hi All Hope it's okay to post on this sub-forum, couldn't find a better place I've got a 480R running solaris 8 with veritas volume manager managing all filesystems, including an encapsulated root disk (I believe the root disk is encapsulated as one of the root mirror disks has an entry under... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunnyd76
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

8. SuSE

Auditors want more security with root to root access via ssh keys

I access over 100 SUSE SLES servers as root from my admin server, via ssh sessions using ssh keys, so I don't have to enter a password. My SUSE Admin server is setup in the following manner: 1) Remote root access is turned off in the sshd_config file. 2) I am the only user of this admin... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvbell
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you gain root privileges if the suid program does not belong to root?

I had a question in my test which asked where suppose user B has a program with 's' bit set. Can user A run this program and gain root privileges in any way? I suppose not as the suid program run with privileges of owner and this program will run with B's privileges and not root. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies

10. Linux

Umount is not reflecting in losetup.

Hi, initially i will mount a image using loop device using below command mount -n -o loop,noatime,ro -t squashfs /mnt/fsh/bt.img /opt/app/test then "mount" reflects with below /dev/loop0 on /opt/app/test type squashfs (ro,noatime) i will then umount using below commnd, umount is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: successlin
0 Replies
SYSTEMD-VOLATILE-ROOT.SERVICE(8)			   systemd-volatile-root.service			  SYSTEMD-VOLATILE-ROOT.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-volatile-root.service, systemd-volatile-root - Make the root file system volatile SYNOPSIS
systemd-volatile-root.service /lib/systemd/systemd-volatile-root DESCRIPTION
systemd-volatile-root.service is a service that replaces the root directory with a volatile memory file system ("tmpfs"), mounting the original (non-volatile) /usr inside it read-only. This way, vendor data from /usr is available as usual, but all configuration data in /etc, all state data in /var and all other resources stored directly under the root directory are reset on boot and lost at shutdown, enabling fully stateless systems. This service is only enabled if full volatile mode is selected, for example by specifying "systemd.volatile=yes" on the kernel command line. This service runs only in the initial RAM disk ("initrd"), before the system transitions to the host's root directory. Note that this service is not used if "systemd.volatile=state" is used, as in that mode the root directory is non-volatile. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-fstab-generator(8), kernel-command-line(7) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-VOLATILE-ROOT.SERVICE(8)