Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Debug env for long time use
Top Forums Programming Debug env for long time use Post 302166543 by nephilimbe on Tuesday 12th of February 2008 06:04:01 AM
Old 02-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflynn
Have you already tried to use a sniffer such as tcpdump or snoop to collect the information from the connection between both ends? It could be something valuable before any other kind of debug.
Hi pflynn,

The reason for this timeout is in my eyes that the program stops responding at some time. As all other connections remain online and no other systems report any connectivity problems, my first guess it that the program hangs on something internaly, then the connection times out. The process itself just keeps on going but loses memory values after some time left idle, and we have to manualy shut it down (to prevent dataloss) and start it again.

Greetings and thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

rcp gets hung for long time

Every evening I run a script in AIX production box, which executes below command: rcp prod_bkup.tar prodapp@IP:/data/appl/prod This will rcp a backup of around 11 GB from production to another machine (runs every evening so overwrites previous one). Just to keep the backup safe. Since 2-3 days,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

time how long it takes to load a module

Hello, like the title says, how can i measure the time it takes to load a module in Linux, and how how can i measure the time it takes to load a statically compiled module. /Best Regards Olle ---------- Post updated at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:54 AM ---------- For... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ollebanan
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help - exec time too long

Dear everyone... thanks to this forum I am able to do everyday more and more complex scripts...but now I come up with problem with optimisation.. problem 1 - optimise: here is my code: while read number do nawk -F "|" -v... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulaziz
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Job is taking long time

Hi , We have 20 jobs are scheduled. In that one of our job is taking long time ,it's not completing. If we are not terminating it's running infinity time actually the job completion time is 5 minutes. The job is deleting some records from the table and two insert statements and one select... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaykumarkona
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort takes a long time

Dear experts I have a 200MG text file in this format: text \tab number I try to sort using options -fd and it takes very long! is that normal or I can speed it up in some ways? I dont want to split the file since this one is already splitted. I use this command: sort -fd file >... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: voolek
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How long ago since time - Using perl

echo "1337124526" | perl -pe 's/(\d+)/easttime($1)/e' the above gives a date and time. how can i subtract the date and time given by this command, from the current present date? can this be a one liner or as close to a one-liner as possible? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls is taking long time to list

Hi, All the data are kept on Netapp using NFS. some directories are so fast when doing ls but few of them are slow. After doing few times, it becomes fast. Then again after few minutes, it becomes slow again. Can you advise what's going on? This one directory I am very interested is giving... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wget takes a long time to complete

Hi, I wish to check the return value for wget $url. However, some urls are designed to take 45 minutes or more to return. All i need to check if the URL can be reached or not using wget. How can i get wget to return the value in a few seconds ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script idles for a long time

the following code works sometimes. other times, it behaves mysteriously. when the script sshs to a box, it is suppose to automatically begin running the command it is told to run. but in this case, after this script logs into a host, it just sits there at the prompt and does not run the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

First script in a long time

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my script to grab time from our MDM... I blocked out all of the important stuff. I really appreciate any guidance, since I am long out of practice. #!/bin/bash serial=$1 # get last seen value of ipad lastseen=$(curl -s -X "GET"... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: andysensible
11 Replies
tcptrack(1)						      General Commands Manual						       tcptrack(1)

NAME
tcptrack - Monitor TCP connections on the network SYNOPSIS
tcptrack [ -dfhvp ] [ -r seconds ] -i interface [ filter expression ] DESCRIPTION
tcptrack displays the status of TCP connections that it sees on a given network interface. tcptrack monitors their state and displays information such as state, source/destination addresses and bandwidth usage in a sorted, updated list very much like the top(1) command. The filter expression is a standard pcap filter expression (identical to the expressions used by tcpdump(8)) which can be used to filter down the characteristics of TCP connections that tcptrack will see. See tcpdump(8) for more information about the syntax of this expres- sion. OPTIONS
-d Only track connections that were started after tcptrack was started. Do not try to detect existing connections. -f Enable fast average recalculation. TCPTrack will calculate the average speeds of connections by using a running average. TCPTrack will use more memory and CPU time, but averages will seem closer to real time and will be updated more than once per second and may be more accurate under heavy load. The number of times per second that averages will be recalculated in fast mode is a compile-time setting that defaults to 10 times per second. -h Display command line help -i [interface] Sniff packets from the specified network interface. -T [pcap file] Read packets from the specified file instead of sniffing from the network. Useful for testing. -p Do not put the interface being sniffed into promiscuous mode. -r [seconds] Wait this many seconds before removing a closed connection from the display. Defaults to 2 seconds. See also the pause interactive command (below). -v Display tcptrack version INTERACTIVE COMMANDS
The following keys may be pressed while tcptrack is running to change runtime options: p - Pause/unpause display. No new connections will be added to the display, and all currently displayed connections will remain in the dis- play. q - Quit tcptrack. s - Cycle through the sorting options: unsorted, sorted by rate, sorted by total bytes. The options for pausing and toggling sorting are useful if you're watching a very busy network and want to look at the display without con- nections jumping around (due to sorting and new connections being added) and disappearing (due to being closed for a certain time). When paused (via the p command) no new connections will be displayed, however tcptrack will still monitor and track all connections it sees as usual. This option affects the display only, not internals. When you unpause, the display will be updated with all current information that tcptrack has been gathering all along. EXAMPLES
tcptrack requires only one parameter to run: the -i flag followed by an interface name that you want tcptrack to monitor. This is the most basic way to run tcptrack: # tcptrack -i eth0 tcptrack can also take a pcap filter expression as an argument. The format of this filter expression is the same as that of tcpdump(8) and other libpcap-based sniffers. The following example will only show connections from host 10.45.165.2: # tcptrack -i eth0 src or dst 10.45.165.2 The next example will only show web traffic (ie, traffic on port 80): # tcptrack -i eth0 port 80 SEE ALSO
tcpdump(8), pcap(3), http://www.rhythm.cx/~steve/devel/tcptrack BUGS
When picking up a connection that was already running before tcptrack was started, there is no way tcptrack can know for sure which end of the connection is the client (ie, which peer started the connection) and which is the server (ie, which peer was listening). tcptrack makes a crude guess at which is which by looking at the port numbers; whichever end has the lower port number is considered the server side. This isn't always accurate of course, but future versions may have better heuristics to figure out which end is which. Currently the interface is not very flexible. Display timing settings (such as the refresh interval) can only be changed by editing the source code (defs.h in particular). See the TODO file included with the source distribution for further bugs. tcptrack(1)