Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Problem in running bash shell commands on HP-UX machine Post 302166365 by abhishek0071 on Monday 11th of February 2008 06:33:15 PM
Old 02-11-2008
please suggest me the way if any one know

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

running commands from outside of bash

Hello all! I have two consoles.I know the PID of these two.Now I want to execute a command in console#1 but from console#2. How can I achieve this? Anyone can do something for my query? Click here if you can't understand my query or to know the need for this query. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakabarp
3 Replies

2. Programming

Running shell commands from C/C++

Hi guys, I know using system() we can run unix commands but the problem is, I can't get any returns with the system(). I am returning stuff from my shell scripts that I need to be able to read from my C code. Anybody has cure to this problem? :)) Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Long running shell scripts shuts donw the machine!

Hi, I am very new to shell scripting. I have a script called "RunDMol3.sh" which takes a directory name as input parameter, process somthing using files in the folder and writes output files in the same folder. This is a very heavy job and takes about 1.5 hrs. When I run in manually the script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh.jitkar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can BASH execute commands on a remote server when the commands are embedded in shell

I want to log into a remote server transfer over a new config and then backup the existing config, replace with the new config. I am not sure if I can do this with BASH scripting. I have set up password less login by adding my public key to authorized_keys file, it works. I am a little... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run Shell Commands via HTML on a client machine

Hi guys, so, I have a server running an sqlite database which is accessed by many client machines working as hardware testers, whenever something fails and needs to be replaced the operator would have to enter the Serial Number of the part being replaced as well as some other data. and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sx3v1l_1n51de
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting problems - Commands not on local machine

Hello all- I have done a lot of searching tonight, but all leads seem to be dead ends. Forgive me if this has been covered, but I've searched the forum and the internet. I am having trouble building a shell script which uses SSH to login to our schools 1024 cluster grid. The issue that I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sagan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running BASH commands from a variable

I am trying to assign a command to a variable and use it. I have tried every possible quoting variation except the correct one. :confused: Here is an example: CMD="grep description $i | grep "::"" $CMD | nawk ...Thanks in advance for you help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aschera
1 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Quit a shell script thats running on a remote machine

I'm in a situation where I am executing a shell script(Bash) on another machine remotely using ssh, and for various reasons sometimes need to quit it and restart it. The shell script being run does many different things, so its hard to know what process to kill on the remote machine, and even if I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheDrizzle
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem running db2 commands in awk

Hi , I am trying to use the below in awk but failed, any one assist please, awk '{ print $0; if ( $0 ~ /LOADTMP1/ ) { print $4; Table_name=system($( db2 -x "SELECT TRIM(TD.BSCHEMA) || '.' || TRIM(TD.BNAME) AS TABLE_NAME FROM SYSCAT.TABDEP TD WHERE TD.BTYPE='T' AND... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem running plsql using printf command on bash shell

I am running plsql using printf on a shell, but i am getting some strange error, can someone point what exactly am i missing, $ echo $SHELL /bin/bash $ printf " > SET serveroutput ON trimspool on feed off echo off > declare > p_val number; > d_val varchar2(10); > begin > SELECT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
1 Replies
SYSTEM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SYSTEM(3)

NAME
system - execute a shell command SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int system(const char *string); DESCRIPTION
system() executes a command specified in string by calling /bin/sh -c string, and returns after the command has been completed. During execution of the command, SIGCHLD will be blocked, and SIGINT and SIGQUIT will be ignored. RETURN VALUE
The value returned is -1 on error (e.g. fork failed), and the return status of the command otherwise. This latter return status is in the format specified in wait(2). Thus, the exit code of the command will be WEXITSTATUS(status). In case /bin/sh could not be executed, the exit status will be that of a command that does exit(127). If the value of string is NULL, system() returns nonzero if the shell is available, and zero if not. system() does not affect the wait status of any other children. CONFORMING TO
ANSI C, POSIX.2, BSD 4.3 NOTES
As mentioned, system() ignores SIGINT and SIGQUIT. This may make programs that call it from a loop uninterruptable, unless they take care themselves to check the exit status of the child. E.g. while(something) { int ret = system("foo"); if (WIFSIGNALED(ret) && (WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGINT || WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGQUIT)) break; } Do not use system() from a program with suid or sgid privileges, because strange values for some environment variables might be used to subvert system integrity. Use the exec(3) family of functions instead, but not execlp(3) or execvp(3). system() will not, in fact, work properly from programs with suid or sgid privileges on systems on which /bin/sh is bash version 2, since bash 2 drops privileges on startup. (Debian uses a modified bash which does not do this when invoked as sh.) The check for the availability of /bin/sh is not actually performed; it is always assumed to be available. ISO C specifies the check, but POSIX.2 specifies that the return shall always be non-zero, since a system without the shell is not conforming, and it is this that is implemented. It is possible for the shell command to return 127, so that code is not a sure indication that the execve() call failed. SEE ALSO
sh(1), signal(2), wait(2), exec(3) 2001-09-23 SYSTEM(3)