Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sort a file line by line alphabetically Post 302166114 by summer_cherry on Monday 11th of February 2008 02:34:34 AM
Old 02-11-2008
a complicate one!!!

Smilie

Hi,

Below one can be a solution, but i think it is not good enough.

Code:
while read line
do
	for i in `echo $line`
	do
		echo $i >> temp
	done
	sort temp > temp1
	lnum=`wc -l temp1`
	i=1
	while [ $i -le $lnum ]
	do
		a=`echo $a" -"`
		i=`expr $i + 1`
	done
	cat temp1 | paste $a >>temp2
	rm temp1
	rm temp
done < filename
cat temp2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sort alphabetically after finding values

I have a list of people in a usage log and need to print the names and phone numbers of people with over 500 logins. I'd also like to display these names alphabetically. I have their total logins set to a variable named total. So far, I have very little in my awk script to do this: FS=":"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubleminus
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort file alphabetically AND numerically

Hi all. I have 2 files like this: f1 A 10 B 80 C 9 f2 A 11 B 700 C 10 What I want is the concatenation of the two files sorted by name (alphabetically) and size (numerically), so the result should be like this: F3 (cat f1 f2 sorted) A 10 A 11 B 80 B 700 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort by numbers, then alphabetically

Hey guys, I have a file that contains the following: 366 K 364 Q 12 UB 7 INC. P 4 Law 2 LAMB 2 High 1 QEG 1 OF 1 LC 1 B As you can see, it's already sorted by numerical order, how do I sort it again, breaking the ties by using the alphabetical order of the second column, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrew9191
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort alphabetically, then numerically

Greetings - I'm not necessarily new to bash scripting - I'm probably between beginner and intermediate, but I have something that I just cannot figure out after many attempts to find it. I have a file that is merely a list of many files, with their respective paths, and a branch path (ClearCase)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1cor29
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a line and Insert sorted word(s) in a line

Hello, I am looking to automate a task - which is updating an existing access control instruction of a server and making sure that the attributes defined in the instruction is in sorted order. The instructions will be of a specific syntax. For example lets assume below listed is one of an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjayroc
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Reverse the order of a list of file names (but not sort them alphabetically or numerically)

Hello all, I have a list of file names in a text document where each file name consists of 4 letters and 3 numbers (for example MACR119). There are 48 file names in the document (they are not in alphabetical or numerical order). I would like to reorder the list of names so that the 48th name is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDeBiasse
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to sort a file alphabetically

I have a problem with my homework I need to create a shell script using #!bin/awk -f the script will output the file in an alphabetical order only words and after the word is : after that a space then , then it will be numbered each character by which line its been for example CB 92A A... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: collapse
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort alphabetically starting from specified letter

Hi. I'm trying to sort a list of items in a file alphabetically but starting from the letter 'X'. For instance if I had the following file; test.txt Z A T W Y B S X I would like the output to look like; X Y (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmab
8 Replies
SORT(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   SORT(1)

NAME
sort - sort a file of ASCII lines SYNOPSIS
sort [-bcdfimnru] [-tc] [-o name] [+pos1] [-pos2] file ... OPTIONS
-b Skip leading blanks when making comparisons -c Check to see if a file is sorted -d Dictionary order: ignore punctuation -f Fold upper case onto lower case -i Ignore nonASCII characters -m Merge presorted files -n Numeric sort order -o Next argument is output file -r Reverse the sort order -t Following character is field separator -u Unique mode (delete duplicate lines) EXAMPLES
sort -nr file # Sort keys numerically, reversed sort +2 -4 file # Sort using fields 2 and 3 as key sort +2 -t: -o out # Field separator is : sort +.3 -.6 # Characters 3 through 5 form the key DESCRIPTION
Sort sorts one or more files. If no files are specified, stdin is sorted. Output is written on standard output, unless -o is specified. The options +pos1 -pos2 use only fields pos1 up to but not including pos2 as the sort key, where a field is a string of characters delim- ited by spaces and tabs, unless a different field delimiter is specified with -t. Both pos1 and pos2 have the form m.n where m tells the number of fields and n tells the number of characters. Either m or n may be omitted. SEE ALSO
comm(1), grep(1), uniq(1). SORT(1)