Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX starter role?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? UNIX starter role? Post 302166056 by infinitiguy on Sunday 10th of February 2008 09:27:31 PM
Old 02-10-2008
like the other posts... helpdesk is where it's at. I started at a software engineering company doing windows helpdesk 4 years ago. Our unix environment consists of linux(redhat/suse) solaris(6/7/8/9/10), tru64, hpux(11/11.11/11.23), irix, aix... and I ended up through trial and error, and showing motivation to take on about half of this environment(while still doing my helpdesk duties).

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Role of AI in any OS

In any given operating system, generally how much of AI software is involved? Is it related to user-friendliness of OS? What is the future of strong AI? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MULTIVERSE
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris Starter

I have got Sun Fire V120 for testing( just trying to install Solaris 10 on it). Just need to know how shall I get display on my normal monitor as I cannot see any compatible port?? Regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zaibee
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux starter help needed

:confused: hi guys i'm helping out as a lab assistant and have been told to use a linux shell script to gather assignments from the students in the class I'm helping out in. They've been told to have their assignment in a certain folder in their accounts and I'm to gather them, only problem is I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaybee
0 Replies

4. AIX

for starter

I have a problem I got about 50 log files with some information, the info is not important. I would like to search only for specific info from the logs. I did find it. But i cannot see from where it comes can you help me I have used : cat *.log | grep "??????", but the log file too. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perum
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris Starter

hi everyone, Can anyone guide me with: How to start with the solaris, as i m new to this. (any material or any link or any start up book) Plz do needful as soon as possible.. Thanks. Hitesh T. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hi2_t
2 Replies
Time::JulianDay(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					Time::JulianDay(3)

NAME
Time::JulianDay -- Julian calendar manipulations SYNOPSIS
use Time::JulianDay $jd = julian_day($year, $month_1_to_12, $day) $jd = local_julian_day($seconds_since_1970); $jd = gm_julian_day($seconds_since_1970); ($year, $month_1_to_12, $day) = inverse_julian_day($jd) $dow = day_of_week($jd) print (Sun,Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu,Fri,Sat)[$dow]; $seconds_since_jan_1_1970 = jd_secondslocal($jd, $hour, $min, $sec) $seconds_since_jan_1_1970 = jd_secondsgm($jd, $hour, $min, $sec) $seconds_since_jan_1_1970 = jd_timelocal($sec,$min,$hours,$mday,$month_0_to_11,$year) $seconds_since_jan_1_1970 = jd_timegm($sec,$min,$hours,$mday,$month_0_to_11,$year) DESCRIPTION
JulianDay is a package that manipulates dates as number of days since some time a long time ago. It's easy to add and subtract time using julian days... The day_of_week returned by day_of_week() is 0 for Sunday, and 6 for Saturday and everything else is in between. ERRATA
Time::JulianDay is not a correct implementation. There are two problems. The first problem is that Time::JulianDay only works with integers. Julian Day can be fractional to represent time within a day. If you call inverse_julian_day() with a non-integer time, it will often give you an incorrect result. The second problem is that Julian Days start at noon rather than midnight. The julian_day() function returns results that are too large by 0.5. What to do about these problems is currently open for debate. I'm tempted to leave the current functions alone and add a second set with more accurate behavior. There is another implementation in Astro::Time that may be more accurate. GENESIS
Written by David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com> with help from previous work by Kurt Jaeger aka PI <zrzr0111@helpdesk.rus.uni-stuttgart.de> based on postings from: Ian Miller <ian_m@cix.compulink.co.uk>; Gary Puckering <garyp%cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net> based on Collected Algorithms of the ACM ?; and the unknown-to-me author of Time::Local. LICENSE
Copyright (C) 1996-1999 David Muir Sharnoff. License hereby granted for anyone to use, modify or redistribute this module at their own risk. Please feed useful changes back to muir@idiom.com. perl v5.12.1 2004-02-08 Time::JulianDay(3)