Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Jumpstart solaris
Operating Systems Solaris Jumpstart solaris Post 302165974 by reborg on Sunday 10th of February 2008 08:15:09 AM
Old 02-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by System Shock
For the truncated output you posted, it looks like what you are missing is the boot server. It looks like you read the instructions on how to add a client to a jumpstart, but you didn't read the prior chapters where it tells you how to set up the jumpstart server to which you are trying to add a client. When you tell the server to boot from the net, it goes out and looks for a boot image from the jumpstart server, not the one on the DVD, but the one on the jumpstart server root directory, mounts it, and boots into an operating system, which then starts an installation based on whatever the profile says (image, flar, DVD, etc) This boot environment is set at the beginning of the jumpstart server installation with the command setup_install_server, as Reborg pointed out.
Bingo! That's exactly what I was getting at, but was under time pressure so couldn't post as full a reply as I would have liked. I't the boot server, not the installation source which is the problem, you need a working boot server irrespective of where the install media is located.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 10 Jumpstart Problem

Hi, I build a jumpstart server with a running dhcp server. I already managed to install a x86 client via network. But my sparc clients aren't still working. When booting via network I get the following message: Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet I ran "snoop" on the server: client2 ->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jay_Fisi
1 Replies

2. Solaris

jumpstart Solaris 10 on Solaris 9 server

I just built a jumpstart server on a Solaris 9 sun box and have had no problems jumpstarting other sol9 boxes using the custom rules. I've also copied a Solaris 10 image onto that same solaris 9 server and have had problems loading Solaris 10. These boxes will go directly to the manual OS install... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: salty
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Jumpstart Solaris 10 x86

I need a little help figuring out why my custom jumpstart network installation is dumping me to a manual install. I am trying to install Solaris 10 (unattended) over the wire from my jumpstart server to an HP Proliant DL380 server but I'm having difficulties with the unattended part. So, what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alias.256
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 Jumpstart woes

Hi All I have a Solaris 10 jumpstart boot/config server set up on a subnet, and am trying to use it to build a client (the only other machine on the network). Things start out just fine, with the client booting into the Solaris Installation program, but then it just coredumps just as it's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickedwards44
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Jumpstart Issues Solaris 10

I'm trying to jumpstart my remote server. My /etc/hosts and /etc/ethers files have the correct data. Keep getting the following message at the ok prompt after running a boot net - install Link hasn't comeup yet Ran a test-net and got the following message. Link is -- down When... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Jumpstart Solaris 10

Hello everyone, I tried to install solaris 10 using the command # boot net - install. I take the image correctly but when you start installing the Operating system installation takes a long (4 hours I have left and not advancing but not send me any errors), it can be seen from the following: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yflores
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Jumpstart Solaris 10

I have a laptop and need to build an Oracle Linux kickstart server and a Solaris Jumpstart server that can build sparc and x86 systems. Is the best way to create a dual boot from grub for Oracle Linux and Solaris x86? Can the Oracle Kickstart be used as a Jumpstart to build both Solaris 10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gian
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 JumpStart Server

Hello, Can anyone share a good online article/tutorial on how to properly set up JumpStart server for Solaris 10? Thanks, Regards. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisSquad
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 Jumpstart Error

Hey All, I'm trying to jump start a new Sun Server from an existing jump start server, but this last machine is giving me driver errors :s It doesn't make sense as we've built a few of these exact same servers just recently, but this last one displays: "No driver (or driver binding)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: UnxAdm1101
2 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)