Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Odd .sh behavior in script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Odd .sh behavior in script Post 302165967 by otheus on Sunday 10th of February 2008 06:53:32 AM
Old 02-10-2008
Script problem

Yeah, you've called "process_interactive" recursively. When you get the "Are you sure prompt" and you enter "No", it calls process_interactive() again and eventually gets to the HTTP prompt for the first time. When that call returns/finishes, it continues at the prior execution point, which is to continue with the
Code:
while read; do

loop. When it finishes with that, it goes to the HTTP prompt for the second time. You can fix this with a double loop.
Code:
while true; do
   echo -n "Prompt for path: ";
   read path
   while true; do 
      echo -n "Are you sure? Y/N";
      read yesno
      if [ x$yesno == xY ]; then
        break 2;
      elif [ x$yesno == xN ]; then 
        continue 2;
      else
        continue;
      fi
  done
done

To see what I mean about the recursion, throw in a debugging statement at the top of the function call, like this:

Code:
echo >&2 "Entering function process_interactive"

If you are using ksh or bash, you can also turn on debugging. At the top of the script (or somewhere), do:
Code:
set -x

And you will get a line of output for each expression evaluated by the shell during the processing of the script.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

even odd script

I need a unix script that check for even or odd. EXAMPLE:::: please enter the number to check: 12 the output: This is an even number it has to have prompts. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snyper2k2
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Odd storage behavior

Hi, We have some troubles with our HP server (rx4640) running HP-UX 11.31. The server is attached to a JBod cabinet. If the JBod cabinet is powered on and we power on the server after then HP-UX can't find the devices (disks) at the cabinet. Does not help to run an ioscan -fnC disk. But if I power... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoff
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Odd" behavior exiting shell script

Is it normal behavior for a shell script that terminates to terminate its parent shell when executed with the "." option? For example, if I have the example script (we'll name it ex.sh): #!/bin/sh if then echo "Bye." exit 2 fi And I execute it like this: >./ex.sh It... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

something odd with my awk script

The code I am using #!/bin/sh for FILE in *.cfg; do awk '{ print; if ($1 == "host_name") store_name = $2; if ($1 == "register") { printf("\t\t parents\t\t\t %s-ilo\n", store_name); } }' "$FILE" > ../new-files/hosts/$FILE sed -i -e "s/notification_options.*/notification_options... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jag7720
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling a Perl script in a Bash script -Odd Situation

I am creating a startup script for an application. This application's startup script is in bash. It will also need to call a perl script (which I will not be able to modify) for the application environment prior to calling the application. The problem is that this perl script creates a new shell... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leepet01
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Odd results when my script runs from cron..

Hi folks, So I wrote a script to run "top", "awk" out values fro the "top" and send the results to a data file. I then set it to run in cron every 15 minutes. Now I'm noticing that the script, and it's sub-commands are not always cleanly finishing and, in my investigations, I am also... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marc G
11 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Odd(?) shell script practise

Hello, I often stumble over a common shell coding practise. Example 1: #!/bin/sh # # Licensed Materials - Property of IBM # Rational ClearCase # (C) Copyright IBM Corp. 1999, 2010. All Rights Reserved # US Government Users Restricted Rights - # Use, duplication or disclosure restricted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MadeInGermany
4 Replies

8. Programming

Odd behavior from GDB while trying to cross-debug an embedded Linux application.

Some background: The application normally runs on an embedded platform. Currently, for development purposes, I have the rootfs located @ /exports and the target is communicating over NFS. That way I can make a change on my local system, save the application @ /exports, and run the altered... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
4 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

Odd behavior from passwd.

Hi Folks, Before I go off and start checking I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this behaviour before. # passwd e825390 Changing password for user e825390. New password: Retype new password: Retype new password: passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully. As you can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
2 Replies
conjure(1)						      General Commands Manual							conjure(1)

NAME
conjure - interprets and executes scripts written in the Magick Scripting Language (MSL). SYNOPSIS
conjure [options] script.msl OVERVIEW
The conjure program is a member of the ImageMagick(1) suite of tools. Use it to process a Magick Scripting Language (MSL) script. The Mag- ick scripting language (MSL) will primarily benefit those that want to accomplish custom image processing tasks but do not wish to program, or those that do not have access to a Perl interpreter or a compiler. For more information about the conjure command, point your browser to file:///usr/share/doc/packages/ImageMagick/www/conjure.html or http://www.imagemagick.org/script/conjure.php. DESCRIPTION
Image Settings: -monitor monitor progress -quiet suppress all warning messages -regard-warnings pay attention to warning messages -seed value seed a new sequence of pseudo-random numbers -verbose print detailed information about the image Miscellaneous Options: -debug events display copious debugging information -help print program options -log format format of debugging information -list type print a list of supported option arguments -version print version information In additiion, define any key value pairs required by your script. For example, conjure -size 100x100 -color blue -foo bar script.msl SEE ALSO
ImageMagick(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1999-2010 ImageMagick Studio LLC. Additional copyrights and licenses apply to this software, see file:///usr/share/doc/pack- ages/ImageMagick/www/license.html or http://www.imagemagick.org/script/license.php ImageMagick Date: 2009/01/10 01:00:00 conjure(1)