Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Odd .sh behavior in script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Odd .sh behavior in script Post 302165967 by otheus on Sunday 10th of February 2008 06:53:32 AM
Old 02-10-2008
Script problem

Yeah, you've called "process_interactive" recursively. When you get the "Are you sure prompt" and you enter "No", it calls process_interactive() again and eventually gets to the HTTP prompt for the first time. When that call returns/finishes, it continues at the prior execution point, which is to continue with the
Code:
while read; do

loop. When it finishes with that, it goes to the HTTP prompt for the second time. You can fix this with a double loop.
Code:
while true; do
   echo -n "Prompt for path: ";
   read path
   while true; do 
      echo -n "Are you sure? Y/N";
      read yesno
      if [ x$yesno == xY ]; then
        break 2;
      elif [ x$yesno == xN ]; then 
        continue 2;
      else
        continue;
      fi
  done
done

To see what I mean about the recursion, throw in a debugging statement at the top of the function call, like this:

Code:
echo >&2 "Entering function process_interactive"

If you are using ksh or bash, you can also turn on debugging. At the top of the script (or somewhere), do:
Code:
set -x

And you will get a line of output for each expression evaluated by the shell during the processing of the script.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

even odd script

I need a unix script that check for even or odd. EXAMPLE:::: please enter the number to check: 12 the output: This is an even number it has to have prompts. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snyper2k2
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Odd storage behavior

Hi, We have some troubles with our HP server (rx4640) running HP-UX 11.31. The server is attached to a JBod cabinet. If the JBod cabinet is powered on and we power on the server after then HP-UX can't find the devices (disks) at the cabinet. Does not help to run an ioscan -fnC disk. But if I power... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoff
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Odd" behavior exiting shell script

Is it normal behavior for a shell script that terminates to terminate its parent shell when executed with the "." option? For example, if I have the example script (we'll name it ex.sh): #!/bin/sh if then echo "Bye." exit 2 fi And I execute it like this: >./ex.sh It... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

something odd with my awk script

The code I am using #!/bin/sh for FILE in *.cfg; do awk '{ print; if ($1 == "host_name") store_name = $2; if ($1 == "register") { printf("\t\t parents\t\t\t %s-ilo\n", store_name); } }' "$FILE" > ../new-files/hosts/$FILE sed -i -e "s/notification_options.*/notification_options... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jag7720
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling a Perl script in a Bash script -Odd Situation

I am creating a startup script for an application. This application's startup script is in bash. It will also need to call a perl script (which I will not be able to modify) for the application environment prior to calling the application. The problem is that this perl script creates a new shell... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leepet01
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Odd results when my script runs from cron..

Hi folks, So I wrote a script to run "top", "awk" out values fro the "top" and send the results to a data file. I then set it to run in cron every 15 minutes. Now I'm noticing that the script, and it's sub-commands are not always cleanly finishing and, in my investigations, I am also... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marc G
11 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Odd(?) shell script practise

Hello, I often stumble over a common shell coding practise. Example 1: #!/bin/sh # # Licensed Materials - Property of IBM # Rational ClearCase # (C) Copyright IBM Corp. 1999, 2010. All Rights Reserved # US Government Users Restricted Rights - # Use, duplication or disclosure restricted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MadeInGermany
4 Replies

8. Programming

Odd behavior from GDB while trying to cross-debug an embedded Linux application.

Some background: The application normally runs on an embedded platform. Currently, for development purposes, I have the rootfs located @ /exports and the target is communicating over NFS. That way I can make a change on my local system, save the application @ /exports, and run the altered... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
4 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

Odd behavior from passwd.

Hi Folks, Before I go off and start checking I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this behaviour before. # passwd e825390 Changing password for user e825390. New password: Retype new password: Retype new password: passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully. As you can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
2 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)