Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help recurrently cutting single column file Post 302165886 by Perderabo on Saturday 9th of February 2008 04:46:41 PM
Old 02-09-2008
I am not too sure what you want here, but maybe the paste command is what you're looking for.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting the first 8 chars of a 2nd column

I am having a stupid moment :-) I have a tab-delimited file with 2 columns. I want to keep the first column as it is, but I only want the first 8 characters of the 2nd column. Example of input file data: --------------------------------- CATERPILLARS CW001651K.dwg... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cassj
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a single file into several others basing on the last column

Hi folks, Happy new year. I have a file 'filename' that i wd like to split basing on the contents in the last column. The 'filename' content looks like 256772744788,9,11 256772744805,9,11 256772744792,9,11 256775543055,10,12 256782625357,9,12 256772368953,10,13 256772627735,10,13... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerkesler
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to get single column form csv file

hi 2 all i need to get single column from one csv file anyone help me ! >cat file.csv name,age x,1 y,2 z,3 Use code tags please, ty. in this "file.csv" file i need only name column can u help me !:b::b: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Q] cutting from one column and pasting to another

I have a file laid out in columns with the first two lines line being: 219 432 4567 219 432 4587 I need to create a single line command to cut the characters in the 5th column and paste them back to the first column in the same file. (Hint:Two good solutions exist, one in which you use a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcampos7
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting a txt file that is a single column

How do you sort a text file that is made up of a single column? (sorting done in alphabetical order) Example input: MAP1S ISYNA1 STAT6 Example output: ISYNA1 MAP1S STAT6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting a txt file that is a single column

How do you sort a text file that is made up of a single column? (sorting done in alphabetical order) Example input: MAP1S ISYNA1 STAT6 Example output: ISYNA1 MAP1S STAT6 Double post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding content of two file in a single file column wise

Hi, I am trying to get the file in particular pattern using shell script. I have to add one column to some other file. For example consider two file as below. File1: name1 name2 name3 File2: Add1 age1 Add2 age2 Add3 age3 I want this two file in a single file format something like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting only the 1st column data

Hi All, I having a data file which consists of 20cr records in it. The 1st column is year field which consist of year in format 200809 and fields are seperated with ^. How do i trim it to 2008 in file and save it in a quick time as there are many records so that i can use the file for loading... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a column and pasting its number

Hello Gurus, This is my first ever post here. I tried looking for similar material but came up empty handed. Apologies if this is too verbose or if I'm not using the correct formatting. I have files containing a fixed number of elements per line; separator is a single space. Each line has the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stdroid
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste 2 single column files to a single file

Hi, I have 2 csv/txt files with single columns. I am trying to merge them using paste, but its not working.. output3.csv: flowerbomb everlon-jewelry sofft steve-madden dolce-gabbana-watchoutput2.csv: http://www1.abc.com/cms/slp/2/Flowerbomb http://www1.abc.com/cms/slp/2/Everlon-Jewelry... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
5 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)