Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help recurrently cutting single column file Post 302165846 by jacks on Saturday 9th of February 2008 10:58:48 AM
Old 02-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdog74
try man split
I think that will split the column in a source file, but I do not know how to append that section each time in one file as new column.
I mean ..1 column of 100 rows will be appended each time in a destination file as new column.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting the first 8 chars of a 2nd column

I am having a stupid moment :-) I have a tab-delimited file with 2 columns. I want to keep the first column as it is, but I only want the first 8 characters of the 2nd column. Example of input file data: --------------------------------- CATERPILLARS CW001651K.dwg... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cassj
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a single file into several others basing on the last column

Hi folks, Happy new year. I have a file 'filename' that i wd like to split basing on the contents in the last column. The 'filename' content looks like 256772744788,9,11 256772744805,9,11 256772744792,9,11 256775543055,10,12 256782625357,9,12 256772368953,10,13 256772627735,10,13... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerkesler
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to get single column form csv file

hi 2 all i need to get single column from one csv file anyone help me ! >cat file.csv name,age x,1 y,2 z,3 Use code tags please, ty. in this "file.csv" file i need only name column can u help me !:b::b: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Q] cutting from one column and pasting to another

I have a file laid out in columns with the first two lines line being: 219 432 4567 219 432 4587 I need to create a single line command to cut the characters in the 5th column and paste them back to the first column in the same file. (Hint:Two good solutions exist, one in which you use a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcampos7
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting a txt file that is a single column

How do you sort a text file that is made up of a single column? (sorting done in alphabetical order) Example input: MAP1S ISYNA1 STAT6 Example output: ISYNA1 MAP1S STAT6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting a txt file that is a single column

How do you sort a text file that is made up of a single column? (sorting done in alphabetical order) Example input: MAP1S ISYNA1 STAT6 Example output: ISYNA1 MAP1S STAT6 Double post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding content of two file in a single file column wise

Hi, I am trying to get the file in particular pattern using shell script. I have to add one column to some other file. For example consider two file as below. File1: name1 name2 name3 File2: Add1 age1 Add2 age2 Add3 age3 I want this two file in a single file format something like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting only the 1st column data

Hi All, I having a data file which consists of 20cr records in it. The 1st column is year field which consist of year in format 200809 and fields are seperated with ^. How do i trim it to 2008 in file and save it in a quick time as there are many records so that i can use the file for loading... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a column and pasting its number

Hello Gurus, This is my first ever post here. I tried looking for similar material but came up empty handed. Apologies if this is too verbose or if I'm not using the correct formatting. I have files containing a fixed number of elements per line; separator is a single space. Each line has the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stdroid
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste 2 single column files to a single file

Hi, I have 2 csv/txt files with single columns. I am trying to merge them using paste, but its not working.. output3.csv: flowerbomb everlon-jewelry sofft steve-madden dolce-gabbana-watchoutput2.csv: http://www1.abc.com/cms/slp/2/Flowerbomb http://www1.abc.com/cms/slp/2/Everlon-Jewelry... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
5 Replies
DB2_FIELD_WIDTH(3)							 1							DB2_FIELD_WIDTH(3)

db2_field_width - Returns the width of the current value of the indicated column in a result set

SYNOPSIS
int db2_field_width (resource $stmt, mixed $column) DESCRIPTION
Returns the width of the current value of the indicated column in a result set. This is the maximum width of the column for a fixed-length data type, or the actual width of the column for a variable-length data type. PARAMETERS
o $stmt - Specifies a statement resource containing a result set. o $column - Specifies the column in the result set. This can either be an integer representing the 0-indexed position of the column, or a string containing the name of the column. RETURN VALUES
Returns an integer containing the width of the specified character or binary data type column in a result set. If the specified column does not exist in the result set, db2_field_width(3) returns FALSE. SEE ALSO
db2_field_display_size(3), db2_field_name(3), db2_field_num(3), db2_field_precision(3), db2_field_scale(3), db2_field_type(3). PHP Documentation Group DB2_FIELD_WIDTH(3)