Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting records with unique fields from a fixed width txt file Post 302165842 by sitney on Saturday 9th of February 2008 10:44:56 AM
Old 02-09-2008
KevinADC - I really appreciate your response here.

It works! When I run your perl script, I get these results:
$ cat newnames.txt
John A Smith NY
Adam J Clark PA

Despite my vague requirements, you understood them perfectly.

I am trying to decipher the workhorse part of the script you wrote:

while (<>){
chomp;
#Assign variables to fixed width sections using unpack.
my ($first,$mi,$last,$state) = unpack("a10a2a11a2",$_);

#Remove whitespace from variables.
(s/^\s*//, s/\s*$//) for ($first,$mi,$last,$state);

#Please describe what is going on here.
$names{"$first,$last"}={count => ++$count{"$first,$last"},
name => "$first $mi $last $state",
};
}

Thanks again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Help with Fixed width File Parsing

I am trying to parse a Fixed width file with data as below. I am trying to assign column values from each record to variables. When I parse the data, the spaces in all coumns are dropped. I would like to retain the spaces as part of the dat stored in the variables. Any help is appreciated. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sate911
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

summing up the fields in fixed width file

Hi, I have a fixed width file with some records as given below: " 1000Nalsdjflj243324jljlj" "-0300Njfowjljl309933fsf" " 0010Njsfsjklj342344fsl" I want to sum-up first field values(i.e from 2nd character to 6th character)of each record. so for the above file i want to add (1000 - 300+... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed-Width file from Oracle

Hi All, I have created a script which generates FIXED-WIDTH file by executing Oracle query. SELECT RPAD(NVL(col1,CHR(9)),20)||NVL(col2,CHR(9))||NVL(col3,CHR(9) FROM XYZ It generates the data file with proper alignment. But if same file i transfer to windows server or Mainframe... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manupulating Records in a fixed width file

I am trying to determine what would be a fast and simple way to manipulate data that comes in a fixed width format. This data has 6 segments within a record. Each record needs to written out with a header and the 6 segments. Based on the value in column #6 the fields will be defined accordingly.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muga801
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two fixed width file

Hi Guys I am checking the treads to get the answer but i am not able to get the answer for my question. I have two files. First file is a pattern file and the second file is the file i want to search in it. Output will be the lines from file2. File1: P2797f12af 44751228... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshul_er
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply condition on fixed width file and filter records

Dear members.. I have a fixed width file. Requirement is as below:- 1. Scan each record from this fixed width file 2. Check for value under field no "6" equals to "ABC". If yes, then filter this record into the output file Please suggest a unix command to achieve this, my guess awk might... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable fixed-width fields

Hi there, CTL Port IO Rate(IOPS) Read Rate(IOPS) Write Rate(IOPS) Read Hit(%) Write Hit(%) Trans. Rate(MB/S) Read Trans. Rate(MB/S) Write Trans. Rate(MB/S) 09:36:48 0 A 136 0 135 97 100 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gray380
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse fixed-width columns which may include empty fields?

I am trying to selectively display several columns from a db2 query, which gives me a fixed-width output (partial output listed here): --------- -------------------------- ------------ ------ 000 0000000000198012 702 29 000 0000000000198013 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahsh79
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a fixed width file

I have a fixed width file of length 53. when is try to get the lengh of the record of that file i get 2 different answers. awk '{print length;exit}' <File_name> The above code gives me length 50. wc -L <File_name> The above code gives me length 53. Please clarify on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alter Fixed Width File

Thank u so much .Its working fine as expected. ---------- Post updated at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:46 PM ---------- I need one more help. I have another file(fixed length) that will get negative value (ex:-00000000003000) in postion (98 - 112) then i have to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinus
6 Replies
deb-triggers(5) 						    dpkg suite							   deb-triggers(5)

NAME
deb-triggers - package triggers SYNOPSIS
triggers DESCRIPTION
A package declares its relationship to some trigger(s) by including a triggers file in its control archive (i.e. DEBIAN/triggers during package creation). This file contains directives, one per line. Leading and trailing whitespace and everything after the first # on any line will be trimmed, and empty lines will be ignored. The trigger control directives currently supported are: interest trigger-name interest-await trigger-name interest-noawait trigger-name Specifies that the package is interested in the named trigger. All triggers in which a package is interested must be listed using this directive in the triggers control file. The "noawait" variant does not put the triggering packages in triggers-awaited state. This should be used when the functionality provided by the trigger is not crucial. activate trigger-name activate-await trigger-name activate-noawait trigger-name Arranges that changes to this package's state will activate the specified trigger. The trigger will be activated at the start of the following operations: unpack, configure, remove (including for the benefit of a conflicting package), purge and deconfigure. The "noawait" variant does not put the triggering packages in triggers-awaited state. This should be used when the functionality provided by the trigger is not crucial. If this package disappears during the unpacking of another package the trigger will be activated when the disappearance is noted towards the end of the unpack. Trigger processing, and transition from triggers-awaited to installed, does not cause activations. In the case of unpack, triggers mentioned in both the old and new versions of the package will be activated. Unknown directives are an error which will prevent installation of the package. The "-noawait" variants should always be favored when possible since triggering packages are not put in triggers-awaited state and can thus be immediately configured without requiring the processing of the trigger. If the triggering packages are dependencies of other upgraded packages, it will avoid an early trigger processing run and make it possible to run the trigger only once as one of the last steps of the upgrade. The "-noawait" variants are supported since dpkg 1.16.1, and will lead to errors if used with an older dpkg. The "-await" alias variants are supported since dpkg 1.17.21, and will lead to errors if used with an older dpkg. SEE ALSO
dpkg-trigger(1), dpkg(1), /usr/share/doc/dpkg-dev/triggers.txt.gz. 1.19.0.5 2018-04-16 deb-triggers(5)