Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ypbind wont bind?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ypbind wont bind? Post 302165722 by Colton on Friday 8th of February 2008 02:45:22 PM
Old 02-08-2008
That file where you noticed the comment is /etc/hosts from node1, so node1 is defined up with localhost and commented out there. eh, ypinit -c I saw this else where but this is what I see when I try to run it :

[root@node1 yp]# ./ypinit -c
usage:
ypinit -m
ypinit -s master

where -m is used to build the data bases on a master NIS server,
and -s is used for a slave data base. master must be an existing
reachable NIS server.
[root@node1 yp]#

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Apache wont start

Hi, like a lot of people that post here, I am new at UNIX. The only UNIX I have ever messed with is my iBook running MacOSX (10.1). I have a grasp of the basic commands and understanding of the system but only to a point. I searched the archive and FreeBSD.org and apache.org but I couldn't find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alpha_Harblo
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Monitor wont come on...

I know this may not be the right forum, but here goes. Last night I was playing my favorite game Everquest and my monitor goes blank... I was able to save out of my game and shut it down... My question is this: I thought my monitor had died but this morning I was able to get it to come back... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kelam_Magnus
6 Replies

3. Solaris

file wont remove

check this out ls -l nmo* -rwsr-s--- 1 root dba 19312 Mar 31 14:44 nmo -rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 0 May 19 2004 nmo0 -rwxr-x--- 1 oracle dba 16512 Mar 31 14:44 nmocat # rm nmo0 nmo0: No such file or directory # id uid=0(root) gid=1(other) what... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
8 Replies

4. Solaris

SMC wont start

Today I attempted to use SMC for the first time on SUNSVR01 since 4 November. The SMC toolbox loads just fine but when I attempt to run any of the tools in SMC, I get red stop signs with labels like "com.sun.admin.hostmgr.client.vhostmgr" in the GUI. At the bottom of the screen, I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wjseaman
0 Replies

5. Solaris

ypbind - multiple instances starting

I have built this Solaris 10 server, uses NIS. When the server starts up, two instances of ypbind start. This prevents the server from binding to any domain. The SMF in turn prevents any other network services (sshd and the like) from starting up. Has anyone seen this problem before? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

Wont boot

I am new to HP-UX. I have a external SCSI drive with HP-UX on it. I was trying to clone it to another external scsi drive. I added the new drive to existing LVM. Then I used dd command. But it failed with I/O error. Now I cannot boot it from original drive. It's saying panic: LVM: Configuration... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: forhad
11 Replies

7. HP-UX

ypbind start/stop

Hi, How to start or stop ypbind on HP-UX machine. Searched a little but could not find. thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jredx
2 Replies

8. AIX

check the status of ypbind

hello , How do i to check the status of ypbind on AIX(5.3) platform ? Thanks AVK Linux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avklinux
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script wont run

$ ls -l total 44 drwx------ 2 ivanachu users 512 Dec 6 19:15 VILEARN -rw------- 1 ivanachu users 74 Dec 5 18:42 cond -rwx------ 1 ivanachu users 97 Dec 5 21:30 cond2 -rwxrwxrwx 1 ivanachu users 4979 Feb 10 22:42 createHAqmgr.ksh -rw------- 1 ivanachu users 28 Dec 4... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivanachukapawn
10 Replies
ypset(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 ypset(1M)

NAME
ypset - point ypbind at a particular server SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/ypset [-d ypdomain] [-h host] server DESCRIPTION
In order to run ypset, ypbind must be initiated with the -ypset or -ypsetme options. See ypbind(1M). ypset tells ypbind to get NIS services for the specified ypdomain from the ypserv process running on server. If server is down, or is not running ypserv, this might not be dis- covered until an NIS client process tries to obtain a binding for the domain. At this point, the binding set by ypset is tested by ypbind. If the binding is invalid, ypbind attempts to rebind for the same domain. ypset is useful for binding a client node that is not on a broadcast net, or is on a broadcast net that is not running an NIS server host. It is also useful for debugging NIS client applications, for instance, where an NIS map exists only at a single NIS server host. Where several hosts on the local net are supplying NIS services, ypbind can rebind to another host, even while you attempt to find out if the ypset operation succeeded. For example, if you enter the ypset command below, you might get the subsequent response from ypwhich: example% ypset host1 example% ypwhich host2 The sequence shown above is a function of the NIS subsystem's attempt to load-balance among the available NIS servers, and occurs when host1 does not respond to ypbind because it is not running ypserv (or is overloaded), and host2, running ypserv, obtains the binding. server indicates which NIS server to bind to, and must be specified as a name or an IP address. This works only if the node has a current valid binding for the domain in question and ypbind has been set to allow use of ypset. In most cases, server should be specified as an IP address. ypset tries to bind over a connectionless transport. The NIS library call, yp_all(), uses connection-oriented transport and derives the NIS server's address based on the connectionless address supplied by ypset. Refer to ypfiles(4) for an overview of the NIS name service. OPTIONS
-d ypdomain Use ypdomain, instead of the default domain. -h host Set ypbind's binding on host, instead of locally. Specify host as a name. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ypwhich(1), ypfiles(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 ypset(1M)