Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help On Unix Script Count Line Of File Post 302165697 by joeyg on Friday 8th of February 2008 01:13:00 PM
Old 02-08-2008
Couple minor tweaks to your code

[my file names does have eleven lines]

> cat comp_val
#! /bin/bash

file1=names
LOGFILE=test.log

n=$(ls -l | wc -l $file1)
echo "Line: "$n". ">>$LOGFILE

xx=$(sed -n "$=" $file1)
echo "Line: "$xx". ">>$LOGFILE

> rm *.log
> comp_val
> cat *.log
Line: 11 names.
Line: 11.
>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want display a line with space in file by unix script

HI , I am having a file as -----------------a.out------------------- Hi I am unix developer using hp unix this is a test --------------------------------------- i need to read each line by a unix script of the file and to print in console with the space in the line as ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the line count from 2nd line of the file ?

Hi, I want to get the line count of the file from the 2nd line of the file ? The first line is header so want to skip that. Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smc3
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Line Count

Hi, Came across a weird problem today. I was just trying to write this small script which would read the number of lines in a file. Depending on the count some further processing would be done. I used wc -l in order to get that done. But since it depends on the number of new line characters, if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to count number of ~ from each line and compare with next line

Hi, I have created one shell script in which it will count number of "~" tilda charactors from each line of the file.But the problem is that i need to count each line count individually, that means. if line one contains 14 "~"s and line two contains 15 "~"s then it should give an error msg.each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Khandare
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to write a script for mailing line count

Hi all, I have a directory in which files are formed daily at certain time.files have certain naming convention for ex .. File1TTT.DATddmmyyyyhrsminsec File2TTT.DATddmmyyyyhrsminsec I want to take their line count when they are formed and mail that line count. Please help how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammbhhar
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to count character present in a line

Suppose i have multiple line like below in a file. ASDFAFAGAHAHAHA AGAHAHAJGAFAGAH AHAHAKAHAHAHAKA I need a bash script to count a character and also Also count the number of character present in each line . suppose for line 1: A=x, S=y, D=x and so on and total character=15. where x y and z is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: XXLMMN
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a file, line by line in UNIX script?

#!/bin/bash file1="yxd" for file in `cat file3.txt`; do cat $file1 | awk '{split($1,dp,"."); lend=length(dp); if(lend>2) { dom=dp"."dp; split($2,ipl,","); for(i=1; i<=length(ipl); i++) { if(ipl~/:/) { if(ipl~/:/) i++; rip=ipl; i++; raq=ipl; rtq=0; si=i+4; for(;i<si;i++) rtq+=ipl; rsub="";... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeruasu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To take line count from a file

Hi guys, I am having a file which where i need to take line count based on searching a particular string from a list say list_file.txt which occurs in 2nd column of my main file and to take the line count which doesnot exist in list file say list_file.txt for eg: my main file looks like this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to check word count of each word in file

I am trying to figure out to find word count of each word from my file sample file hi how are you hi are you ok sample out put hi 1 how 1 are 1 you 1 hi 1 are 1 you 1 ok 1 wc -l filename is not helping , i think we will have to split the lines and count and then print and also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script UNIX to read text file line by line

i have a text file as belows, it includes 2 columns, 1st is the column name, 2nd is the file_name data_file.txt column_name file_name col1 file1 col2 file2 col3 file1 col4 file1 col5 file2 now, i would like to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tester111
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)