Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting reading lines in pairs from file in ksh Post 302165692 by ytokar on Friday 8th of February 2008 12:50:57 PM
Old 02-08-2008
reading lines in pairs from file in ksh

I need to read pairs of lines from a file and compare them. We can assume that the number of lines in the file is even. Can i do it in korn shell?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help reading an input file in KSH

First I' d like to say you guys are awesome. :) I have a word document that I cut and paste into Textpad and it removed all the fancy formatting which is fine with me. I WinScp'd it to the box and and called it inputfile.txt. Opened it in vi and don't see any special characters or stuff that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zilla30066
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading from file in ksh

hi, it seems i can read using cat file | while read line but when i tried reading using while read line < myfile then the last line kept on being returned why? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh questions - Reading columns and lines on unix

1-) For the command below, I want to read second column: 32751. How will I get it ? $ ps -ef|grep deneme U00 32751 22745 0 16:30 pts/1 00:00:00 ksh deneme U00 32762 32132 0 16:30 pts/2 00:00:00 grep deneme 2-) For the command below, how will I read all lines line by line? For... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senem
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate lines in pairs

Hi, I have a text file with the following contents /C=IT/O=INFN/OU=Personal Certificate/L=Napoli/CN=Some guy /C=IT/O=INFN/CN=INFN CA /O=Grid/O=NorduGrid/OU=uninett.no/CN=Another guy /O=Grid/O=NorduGrid/CN=NorduGrid Certification Authority /C=TW/O=AP/OU=GRID/CN=Someone else... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerl
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to swap order of pairs of lines?

This seems to be a question whose answer uses sed or awk. For a file like: a b c d e How to swap the order of the line pairs, to end up with: b a d c e All lines from the original file need to wind up in the output file. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rd5817
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading the contents of the file and splitting using ksh

We're using a ksh script for installing one product. I've another config file, I'd need to read this configuration file from my main script Content of the Configuration file:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bittu129
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File w/ many line pairs--how do I order based on 1st lines only?

I have a file in which the data is stored in pairs of lines. The first line (beginining with ">") is a header, the second line is a sequence. I would like to sort the file by species name. Desired output for the example file: I can use sort -t'_' -k2 to alphabetize headers in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading file and exclude in ksh

I have a text file containing some file names. And I've a directory containing files with different name. I want to do some operaration (deleting) on the files which are NOT listed on the text file. Im using KSH. PLEASE HELP !!!!! Urgent Help!!!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maheshbabu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines with duplicate pairs where AB is equal to BA

I have a file with four columns like dmn10003t1 PF00001 PF00022 dmn12390t1 dmn10008t1 PF00069 PF00027 dmn9781t1 dmn10008t1 PF00068 PF00027 dmn9781t1 dmn10008t1 PF00069 PF00069 dmn9781t1 dmn12390t1 PF00069 PF00076 dmn10003t1 I want to create a new file by comparing the repeated word pairs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammy777
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped. First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes. I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies
suspend(1)							   User Commands							suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)