Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Server wide password enforcement rules? 90 day force change. Post 302165678 by HPAVC on Friday 8th of February 2008 11:52:30 AM
Old 02-08-2008
In "/etc/default/passwd" I believe you can setup ...

Code:
MAXWEEKS= MINWEEKS=12 PASSLENGTH=

... to change the default, then you just edit the password information for the existing users manually.

You might be able to edit a group as well ..

here is a good write up with a notifier as well.

open.itworld.com - Password Aging, Part 1

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Force Password Change...RedHat 7.1

Hello, I just finished adding a bunch of new users to the linux servers I administer. I add users either via command line or via linuxconf, but I can't seem to find out how to force users to change their passwords on their first login to the system. Anyone know how to do that? My HP-UX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vancouver_joe
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Force to change to a different password

Hi, I notice in my Sun Solaris 8 sparc worstation, I am able to change my password to same existing password. That is, right now my password is abc, and I change it with "passwd" command and change it abc again. It will accept. How can I make it such that it will not accept same password?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To simultaneously update password change in two server at a time

I am new beginner in Unix and little experienced in BaaN ERP. Problem Statement: I have to run a BaaN session. I have to change the password for both primary and secondary server by using this session. On primary server only few people has access permission (say 10). But on secondary server... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_chandrakar
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

system wide password change

Hello, I am new to shell scripting and I was trying to write a script that would force a system wide password change except for admins. I am having some trouble and any help that someone could give me would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to do it by using the UID as the marker for anyone... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kilemark
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

force to change password(shell script)

hi How can I force user to change of password by modifying the password expiry and the grace period so that the user has at least 1 week to login and change the password...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

force to change password(by modifying /etc/shadow)

hi by modifying /etc/shadow how can I Force a change of password so that user has at least 1 week to login? I did it by using: echo "enter username to force password change" read user; chage -M 7 $user; How can I do it by modifying /etc/shadow?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

how to force a user to change the password

RHEL 5 update 4. How to force a user to change the password at his next logon. Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxadmin007
8 Replies

8. AIX

Change password for many users on an AIX server

Hi I want to change password for around 100 users on an aix server. I have the list of those 100 users with me. instead of doing # passwd username for all the 100 users one by one, can you please help with a script through which we can change the password for all the 100 users in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies
dxchpwd(1X)															       dxchpwd(1X)

NAME
dxchpwd - Create or change password program SYNOPSIS
dxchpwd dxchpwd -r | -l dxchpwd [-r | -l] -q dxchpwd [-r | -l] -u username OPTIONS
If dxchpwd is invoked without any options, it is assumed that the current user's password is to be changed. The following options are also accepted: Tells dxchpwd that the password change is to be done for a Local user. This can be combined with the -u and -q options. Tells dxchpwd that the password change is to be done for a NIS user. This can only be done from a NIS master and can be combined with the -u and -q options. Tells dxchpwd to query the user for the user name of the account whose password is to be changed. Tells dxchpwd to change this user's password. DESCRIPTION
The dxchpwd command lets you change your password. When you invoke the dxchpwd command, the program prompts you for the old password and then for the new password. Next, the program asks you for the new password again, to verify that you have typed it correctly. Note that the passwords are not displayed on the screen. Your new password must meet the length requirements specified by the authorization database for the user whose password is being changed. If your system is running with enhanced security, you may have to choose a password from a list of randomly generated passwords or you may be prohibited from changing your password until its minimum lifetime has expired, as specified in the authorization database. EXAMPLES
The following example requests that the password be changed for user smith: dxchpwd -u smith FILES
Password file Protected Password Database dxchpwd executable SEE ALSO
X(1X), xdm(1X), passwd(1) dxchpwd(1X)