Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: solaris 10 vi history
Operating Systems Solaris solaris 10 vi history Post 302165677 by System Shock on Friday 8th of February 2008 11:51:11 AM
Old 02-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by itik
i got solaris 10 DVD and i install it on intel 64.

how do i set history to vi for command line? i can use backup space as well, it goes with "^H".

this won't work, export EDITOR=vi, it response with not an identifier.

thanks
itik
You can change your shell to bash, and then use the up|down arrows for CL history and editing, with no need of vi commands.

Or switch to ksh, and add this line in your .profile
Code:
set -o vi

... and use [ESC] to enter the CL vi/history mode, and use [h][j][k][l] to cycle through commands or move along the CL for editing. Standard vi commands apply.

You can add
Code:
 stty erase '^H'

in your .profile as well to make the backspace well, backspace.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Passwd History in Solaris 8

How to set passwd history feature in Solaris 8 to stop users from using their old passwords? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amoorti
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Command history in Solaris

Can someone tell me what I can do to maintain a single history file ? As it is it creates a new file for each session. >ls -a .sh_* .sh_history.10106 .sh_history.15240 .sh_history.21635 .sh_history.4291 .sh_history.11311 .sh_history.16593 .sh_history.23709 .sh_history.4661... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
3 Replies

3. Solaris

How to set history key in Solaris

Hi Solaris guys, I just have my solaris 10 setup on x86 old box... How can i get history key? eg. Linux using up/down arrow key to call history command... HPUX using Esc-k How can i do the samething in Solaris? Thanks in advanced! Regards, gary (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: timontt
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris shutdown and boot history

Hello. I'm trying to get a Solaris (SunOS 5.10) shutdown and boot history. Unfortunately the /var/adm/wtmpx file does not cover the period I want to trace. It's been reset. Therefore the command, "last" (or "last reboot") does not reach back far enough. Additionally the /var/adm/messages*... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: etlpkby
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

history timestamp in Solaris

Anyone knows how to display timestamp in Solaris since "HISTIMEFORMAT" variable is not supported in ksh ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
2 Replies

6. Solaris

solaris 10 reboot history

Dears Kindly am requested to collect the date histroy that the system was rebooted, so is there any log file or command that i can find the time that the system was rebooted? thanks a lot for you kind support. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehero
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriky86
1 Replies

9. Solaris

View 30 days history of freemem Solaris 10

I need to bump up the memory allocated to an Oracle database running on Solaris 10. While I see there is currently plenty of free memory to spare, how do I view the history of free memory on Solaris over the last month? What is the exact command? ---------- Post updated at 02:55 PM ----------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mimimiami
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Solaris History

why in solaris 10 I do not get history when I have the role as root? computer.root > history I get history:not found I am in computer.root > echo $SHELL /bin/sh computer.root > how can I see roots history in the sh shell? but in other shells I can only see my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: goya
6 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)