Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file size changed after SCP
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers file size changed after SCP Post 302165582 by Perderabo on Friday 8th of February 2008 08:33:15 AM
Old 02-08-2008
So you're trying to transfer a file about 156 MB but only 11MB or so made it over. I have not seen a bdf command on Linux, I hope you are showing the disk space on the destination file system. I suspect that bdf was run on HP-UX. Could you just do a simple cp and let NFS transfer the file?

But as to what could cause your problem... maybe someone killed your process on one of the systems. Maybe a network problem happened. It's pretty much got to be one of those.

If NFS is not an option, maybe you could split the file in chunks and reassemble the chunks after the transfer. "split" can split and "cat" can reassemble.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changed File Names From CD

Hi All: I'm having a problem with transferring files from a CD to my AIX machine. I don't know if I am using the mount command properly. My problem is that when I take a CD that I have burned on my PC over to my AIX machine, whent the CD is mounted the file names have been changed (a more thorough... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoEagles
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Who changed a file?

How can I tell what user last updated a file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kirkm76
1 Replies

3. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File size changed

Hi I have many file initial size zero(empty) after some munipulation , one or more file will be greater than zero. I need to send those file names if they return to zero again. Ex. Initially the files are zero size Size filename 0 AAA 0 BBB 0 CCC 0 DDD... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bluetoot
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read file size and send email only if size > 0.

Hi Experts, I have a script like $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus username/password # << ENDSQL set pagesize 0 trim on feedback off verify off echo off newp none timing off set serveroutput on set heading off spool Schemaerrtmp.txt select ' TIMESTAMP COMPUTER NAME ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: welldone
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scp shows size variation

Hi i have folder of 26 GB on server A and want to copy to server B .i used the below commands to check file size and scp copy du -h /folder : its shows 26G on server A from server B: scp -r user@serverA:/folder/* ./copying got initiated and i am checking the file size on server B... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file size before and after scp

Dears does anybody know how to check the file size on server A and server B before and after scp using KSH. Script should be on server A. I will be using it for the below mentioned scenario: I have written a code to fetch files from server A, move it onto server B compress it and save it on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrownBob
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to echo "File permissions or ownership changed from required " when accidentally changed.

Hi All, I have to work in the late nights some times for server maintenance and in a hurry to complete I am accidentally changing ownership or permission of directories :( which have similar names ( /var in root and var of some other directory ).:confused: Can some one suggest me with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies
dpkg-split(1)							  dpkg utilities						     dpkg-split(1)

NAME
dpkg-split - Debian package archive split/join tool SYNOPSIS
dpkg-split [option...] command DESCRIPTION
dpkg-split splits Debian binary package files into smaller parts and reassembles them again, to support the storage of large package files on small media such as floppy disks. It can be operated manually using the --split, --join and --info options. It also has an automatic mode, invoked using the --auto option, where it maintains a queue of parts seen but not yet reassembled and reassembles a package file when it has seen all of its parts. The --listq and --discard options allow the management of the queue. All splitting, joining and queueing operations produce informative messages on standard output; these may safely be ignored. COMMANDS
-s, --split complete-archive [prefix] Splits a single Debian binary package into several parts. The parts are named prefix.NofM.deb where N is the part number, starting at 1, and M is the total number of parts (both in decimal). If no prefix is supplied then the complete-archive filename is taken, including directory, with any trailing .deb removed. -j, --join part... Joins the parts of a package file together, reassembling the original file as it was before it was split. The part files given as arguments must be all the parts of exactly the same original binary file. Each part must occur exactly once in the argument list, though the parts to not need to be listed in order. The parts must of course all have been generated with the same part size specified at split time, which means that they must usually have been generated by the same invocation of dpkg-split --split. The parts' filenames are not significant for the reassembly process. By default the output file is called package_version_arch.deb. -I, --info part... Prints information, in a human-readable format, about the part file(s) specified. Arguments which are not binary package parts pro- duce a message saying so instead (but still on standard output). -a, --auto -o complete-output part Automatically queue parts and reassemble a package if possible. The part specified is examined, and compared with other parts of the same package (if any) in the queue of packages file parts. If all parts of the package file of which part is a part are available then the package is reassembled and written to complete-out- put (which should not usually already exist, though this is not an error). If not then the part is copied into the queue and complete-output is not created. If part is not a split binary package part then dpkg-split will exit with status 1; if some other trouble occurs then it will exit with status 2. The --output or -o option must be supplied when using --auto. (If this were not mandatory the calling program would not know what output file to expect.) -l, --listq Lists the contents of the queue of packages to be reassembled. For each package file of which parts are in the queue the output gives the name of the package, the parts in the queue, and the total number of bytes stored in the queue. -d, --discard [package...] This discards parts from the queue of those waiting for the remaining parts of their packages. If no package is specified then the queue is cleared completely; if any are specified then only parts of the relevant package(s) are deleted. -?, --help Show the usage message and exit. --version Show the version and exit. OPTIONS
--depotdir directory Specifies an alternative directory for the queue of parts awaiting automatic reassembly. The default is /var/lib/dpkg. -S, --partsize kibibytes Specifies the maximum part size when splitting, in kibibytes (1024 bytes). The default is 450 KiB. -o, --output complete-output Specifies the output file name for a reassembly. This overrides the default for a manual reassembly (--join) and is mandatory for an automatic queue-or-reassemble (--auto). -Q, --npquiet When doing automatic queue-or-reassembly dpkg-split usually prints a message if it is given a part that is not a binary package part. This option suppresses this message, to allow programs such as dpkg to cope with both split and unsplit packages without pro- ducing spurious messages. --msdos Forces the output filenames generated by --split to be msdos-compatible. This mangles the prefix - either the default derived from the input filename or the one supplied as an argument: alphanumerics are lowercased, plus signs are replaced by x's and all other characters are discarded. The result is then truncated as much as is necessary, and filenames of the form prefixNofM.deb are generated. EXIT STATUS
0 The requested split, merge, or other command succeeded. --info commands count as successful even if the files are not binary pack- age parts. 1 Only occurs with --auto and indicates that the part file was not a binary package part. 2 Some kind of trouble happened, such as a system call failure, a file that looked like a package part file but was corrupted, a usage error or some other problem. BUGS
Full details of the packages in the queue are impossible to get without digging into the queue directory yourself. There is no easy way to test whether a file that may be a binary package part is one. FILES
/var/lib/dpkg/parts The default queue directory for part files awaiting automatic reassembly. The filenames used in this directory are in a format internal to dpkg-split and are unlikely to be useful to other programs, and in any case the filename format should not be relied upon. SEE ALSO
deb(5), deb-control(5), dpkg-deb(1), dpkg(1). Debian Project 2011-07-04 dpkg-split(1)