Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A more intelligent SDIFF
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A more intelligent SDIFF Post 302165218 by robbiegregg on Thursday 7th of February 2008 04:46:59 AM
Old 02-07-2008
A more intelligent SDIFF

Hi all

I have two files which are essentially the same. However the way an exponent is written is different (i.e. in 1 file, a particular number might be written as 1.43230000E+02 whereas in another it might be 1.4323E2).

If I use SDIFF then the program will merely check the ASCII characters and not recognise the numbers are still the same.

Does anyone know of another program or another method (perhaps a script) that could be able to determine the differences?

Thanks,

Robbie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sdiff problem

Hi, I'm having the following problem with the unix sdiff command. for example if I try sdiff <filename 1> <filename 2> Where filename 1 and filename 2 contain really long pathnames that I need to compare. The output I get will be 139 characters long which is the default. But an output of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruudrio
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sdiff ? problem

Hello, I'm using Sdiff to compare 2 files, I've used this before and it works fine and still does in some cases. But it seems to trip up when using combinations of alpha-numeric text. I created two simple files to test and as you can see it seems to trip up on the "gr55a" text, any ideas ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cowpoke
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sdiff discrepancies

Hi All I have two large (similar) files that have a unique number in the first column...(the trade id) and then a value for that trade in the second column...delimited by "~". Here is a snippet of what the files look like 10030372~-410682.73 10030490~-4052867.73 10030646~-352592.21... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kbuttz
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] intelligent splitting?

Hi, I want to split a file into multiple ones, with a new file for every line in the old file. Typically it is in this format 0.25 20 35.7143 0.5 31 55.3571 0.85 3 5.35714 1.3 2 3.57143 I can make new files by using split or other simple awk commands. But sometimes, the file is like... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sdiff without files

Hi, I'm trying to use sdiff by parsing the output of another command instead of the filename: sdiff <(echo test1) <(echo test2)However, this seems to cause my terminal session to stop working. If I use it with normal diff it works fine: ~$ diff <(echo test1) <(echo test2) 1c1 < test1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sdiff query

I wanted to ask can sdiff be used for comparing files which are present in different network?? If yes then how? Thanks in Advance!!!!!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhavanabahety
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sdiff command

Hi i am comparing file on 2 different machine with the help of script. however i am get below o/p ======= /usr/tmp ========= ======= /usr/tmp not a regular file i am not sure what does "not a regular file mean" . is it something serious, if yes then what i need to check or we can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptor
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SDiff Two files with space problem

Hello guys, I have a problem. I'm trying to use SDiff with two files which are containing spaces. My problem is that I want to save the output with > in an extra file. If I try to use it like this. sdiff "test file1" "test file2" > OutputfileI get this message: usage: diff ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mariopart
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sdiff

file1: USER:XACME\cn3937 User:XACME\z01220 User:XACME\z01404 User:XACME\z02102 User:XACME\U17234 File2: USER:XACME\lawson USER:XACME\cn7913 USER:XACME\cn8037 USER:XACME\cn8042 USER:XACME\cn8046 USER:XACME\u31645 USER:XACME\u19050 USER:XACME\U28715 USER:XACME\U17234 USER:XACME\cn3937... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: loktamann
2 Replies
SDIFF(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SDIFF(1)

NAME
sdiff -- side-by-side diff SYNOPSIS
sdiff [-abdilstW] [-I regexp] [-o outfile] [-w width] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
sdiff displays two files side by side, with any differences between the two highlighted as follows: new lines are marked with '>'; deleted lines are marked with '<'; and changed lines are marked with '|'. sdiff can also be used to interactively merge two files, prompting at each set of differences. See the -o option for an explanation. The options are: -l Only print the left column for identical lines. -o outfile Interactively merge file1 and file2 into outfile. In this mode, the user is prompted for each set of differences. See EDITOR and VISUAL, below, for details of which editor, if any, is invoked. The commands are as follows: l Choose left set of diffs. r Choose right set of diffs. s Silent mode - identical lines are not printed. v Verbose mode - identical lines are printed. e Start editing an empty file, which will be merged into outfile upon exiting the editor. e l Start editing file with left set of diffs. e r Start editing file with right set of diffs. e b Start editing file with both sets of diffs. q Quit sdiff. -s Skip identical lines. -w width Print a maximum of width characters on each line. The default is 130 characters. Options passed to diff(1) are: -a Treat file1 and file2 as text files. -b Ignore trailing blank spaces. -d Minimize diff size. -I regexp Ignore line changes matching regexp. All lines in the change must match regexp for the change to be ignored. -i Do a case-insensitive comparison. -t Expand tabs to spaces. -W Ignore all spaces (the -w flag is passed to diff(1)). ENVIRONMENT
EDITOR, VISUAL Specifies an editor to use with the -o option. If both EDITOR and VISUAL are set, VISUAL takes precedence. If neither EDITOR nor VISUAL are set, the default is vi(1). TMPDIR Specifies a directory for temporary files to be created. The default is /tmp. SEE ALSO
diff(1), diff3(1), vi(1), re_format(7) AUTHORS
sdiff was written from scratch for the public domain by Ray Lai <ray@cyth.net>. CAVEATS
Although undocumented, sdiff supports all options supported by GNU sdiff. Some options require GNU diff. Tabs are treated as anywhere from one to eight characters wide, depending on the current column. Terminals that treat tabs as eight charac- ters wide will look best. BUGS
sdiff may not work with binary data. BSD
February 21, 2007 BSD