Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: proxy DNS configuration
Special Forums IP Networking proxy DNS configuration Post 302165192 by HPAVC on Thursday 7th of February 2008 02:30:54 AM
Old 02-07-2008
Not entirely sure what the question is, but sometimes with proxy situations you can modify the /etc/hosts file (or equivalent) to make the machine resolve itself as a external host to play nice as a proxy when the external world thinks otherwise (or similar trickery)

This also supersedes in most configurations a dns lookup so there is no need for runing internal and external dns servers until the /etc/hosts file needs maintaining because of the number of proxies your running or something.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dns - proxy - samba

ok. Now that my FreeBSD 4.5 is running with samba on it (can see it from my win2kserver like any other winx) and i have installed packages like lynx (very nice tool) i would want to solve one more little huge problem. I want to surf :) 1)what's the prob? well, i can surf with lynx to my iis on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: termiEEE
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

DNS configuration problem

Hi all, I am a beginner in DNS service and I face difficult when configure DNS sub domain using "bind" version 8. So I would like to ask a question about this and hope someone can answer my question. Is it possible to configure a sub domain in which the name of this sub domain is same as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raylai
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS Proxy Error

hello guys, i need a US proxy , and PlanetLabs proxies dont let me access sites i need, so i use 8080 port proxies.. when i use a working proxy, it shows me this message on the internet screen: http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/1953/errorjpgor6.jpg Is there anyway i can fix this ? the proxy... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yuvalz
1 Replies

4. AIX

DNS configuration help

I'm trying to configure DNS on a AIX 5.4 machine and I just can't figure it out. The IBM guide doesn't work. Smit also doesn't work. I have no idea how to make this happen. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madavid0
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS Configuration in Solaris 10

Hi All, I have a list of few DNS server with hostnmae and IP which I need to setup in Solaris Servers...Can any one pls tell me the steps for setting up the above in solaris 10 & 9???? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris5.10
4 Replies

6. IP Networking

LAN server - Proxy, DNS, WEB - I'm lost!!!

Ok! I started to do something and I got lost...and crazy! I got MW2000S gateway device that provides wireless internet access! It is configured to work as NAT. Clients connect to MW and have access to internet and it works beautifully! And now! In the same network I have Ubuntu machine. First I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: salvor_hardin
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

SQUID Proxy server configuration

Can any one direct me to the resources where I can find in-depth instructions on Squid Proxy server and its configuration? Thanks in advance.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Squid Dynamic Proxy Server Configuration

Hello all, I am trying to configure squid proxy server for different organizations. These organizations will have different blocked ports, different acls, etc. But, I can use only one proxy server for this purpose. Thinking of making a shell script with iptables and squid. For an example: a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Configuration Reverse Proxy - https issue

Hi All I need your valuable help on this. Im trying to setup reverse proxy using apache in rhel 5.5. I just started with Apache, and not much idea about going with advance level config, except that i have tried to set up this reverse proxy based on an online guide i found in internet. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: niyas_gk
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SOCKS proxy & PAM configuration exposure

I've got a problem with a proxy configuration. We have an LDAP group that lists all users who are authorised to use the proxy to FTP (usually Filezilla) out to the world, and by implication those not in the group should be denied. My users are delighted that this has been enabled and those that... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
9 Replies
scanssh(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						scanssh(1)

NAME
scanssh -- scans the Internet for open proxies and SSH servers SYNOPSIS
scanssh [-VIERph] [-s scanners,...] [-n ports,...] [-e excludefile] addresses... DESCRIPTION
ScanSSH scans the given addresses and networks for running services. It mainly allows the detection of open proxies and Internet services. For known services, ScanSSH will query their version number and displays the results in a list. The adresses can be either specified as an IPv4 address or an CIDR like IP prefix, ipaddress/masklength. Ports can be appended by adding a colon at the end of address specification. Additionally, the following two commands can be prefixed to the address: random(n[,seed])/ The random command selects random address from the address range specified. The arguments are as follows: n is the number of address to randomly create in the given network and seed is a seed for the pseudo random number generator. split(s,e)/ The split command is used to split the address range in several unique components. This can be use to scan from serveral hosts in parallel. The arguments are as follows: e specifies the number of hosts scanning in parallel and s is the number of the host this particular scan runs on. The options are as follows: -V Causes scanssh to print its version number. -I Does not send a SSH identification string. -E Exit the program, if the file containing the addresses for exclusion can not be found. -R If addresses are generated at random, this flag causes the program to ignore excluded addresses from the exclude file. The default behaviour is to always exclude addresses. -p Specifies that ScanSSH should operate as a proxy detector. This flag sets the default modes and default scanners to detect open proxies. -h Displays the usage of the program. -n ports,... Specifies the port numbers to scan. Ports are separated by commas. Each specified scanner is run for each port in this list. The default is 22. -s scanners Specifies a number of scanners should be executed for each open port. Multiple scanners are separated by commas. The fol- lowing scanners are currently supported: ssh Finds versions for SSH, Web and SMTP servers. socks5 Detects if a SOCKS V5 proxy is running on the port. socks4 Detects if a SOCKS V4 proxy is running on the port. http-proxy Detects a HTTP get proxy. http-connect Detects a HTTP connect proxy. telnet-proxy Detects telnet based proxy servers. -e excludefile Specifies the file that contains the addresses to be excluded from the scan. The syntax is the same as for the addresses on the command line. The output from scanssh contains only IP addresses. However, the IP addresses can be converted to names with the logresolve(8) tool included in the Apache webserver. EXAMPLES
The following command scans the class C network 10.0.0.0 - 10.0.0.255 for open proxies: scanssh -p 10.0.0.0/24 The next command scans for ssh servers on port 22 only: scanssh -n 22 -s ssh 192.168.0.0/16 The following command can be used in a parallel scan. Two hosts scan the specified networks randomly, where this is the first host: scanssh 'random(0,rsd)/split(1,2)/(192.168.0.0/16 10.1.0.0/24):22,80' BUGS
At the moment, scanssh leaves a one line entry in the log file of the ssh server. It is probably not possible to avoid that. BSD
July 17, 2000 BSD