Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting unescaping special characters Post 302164880 by sriram_r on Wednesday 6th of February 2008 06:41:00 AM
Old 02-06-2008
unescaping special characters

how do i unescape special characters in Unix.

Suppose i've a file named -xyz.txt, how do I remove the file.
Ofcourse Icant give rm -xyz.txt thats not gonna work.
We can go in regular expression like this ls | grep -e '-'xyz.txt | rm; but I'd like to know any simpler way than this.

Thanks for the guys posting in their suggestions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

special characters

I have one file which is named ^? ( the DEL character ) I'd like to know how to rename or copy the file by using its i-node number TYIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nawnaw
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see special characters in a file using vi

Hi, I have a file which has special characters. I can't see them when I "vi" the file. But I am sure there are some special un seen characters. How can I see them? Please help. Thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see special characters?

Hi all, I was wondering how can i see the special characters like \t, \n or anything else in a file by using Nano or any other linux command like less, more etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvj
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED with Special characters

Hello All Seeking the right one SED command. My attempt is: From orginal.txt by SED to target.txt sed -i "/('outbound-callerid/a\$ext->add($context, $exten, '', new ext_SipAddHeader('P-Preferred-Identity', '<sip:${CALLERID(nummer)}@carrier.com>'));" orginal.txtWhat am make wrong?:wall: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdbinder
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters

I have a line ending with special character and 0 The special character is the field separator for this line in VI mode the file will look like below, but while cat the special character wont display i know the hexa code for the special character ^_ is \x1f and ascii code is \0037, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with special Characters

Need Help For GREP I have a file say g1.txt and content of file is below REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoDrives /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f , REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoClose /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f ,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalpasoni
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with special characters....

grep -i "$line,$opline" COMBO_JUNK|awk -F, ' { C4+=$4 } { } END { print C4 } ' OFS=,` when i run this command in the script.... it o/p all the value as 0 if $line contains any special parameters..... but the same script if i run in command prompt... it shows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
4 Replies
assert(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						assert(3C)

NAME
assert - verify program assertion SYNOPSIS
#include <assert.h> void assert(int expression); DESCRIPTION
The assert() macro inserts diagnostics into applications. When executed, if expression is FALSE (zero), assert() prints the error message Assertion failed: expression, file xyz, line nnn on the standard error output and aborts. In the error message, xyz is the name of the source file and nnn the source line number of the assert() statement. These are respectively the values of the preprocessor macros __FILE__ and __LINE__. Since assert() is implemented as a macro, the expression may not contain any string literals. Compiling with the preprocessor option -DNDEBUG (see cc(1B)), or with the preprocessor control statement #define NDEBUG ahead of the #include <assert.h> statement, will stop assertions from being compiled into the program. Messages printed from this function are in the native language specified by the LC_MESSAGES locale category. See setlocale(3C). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cc(1B), abort(3C), gettext(3C), setlocale(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 30 Mar 2005 assert(3C)