Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers How to set up a home SFTP server? Post 302164858 by verrock_poo on Wednesday 6th of February 2008 04:45:37 AM
Old 02-06-2008
How to set up a home SFTP server?

I want to setup a home SFTP server in order to transfer my files securely. But I don't know about this anything. My friends told that there are many secure file transfer tool are present in the net. I am unable to find the best one. Please share your experiences with and also give your suggestions
Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Set up the own Unix ENvironment at home

Hello! All Unix Expert, I just graduated from college with Bachalor degree in Computer Information System, and decided to start my career in Unix System. I am trying to set up my own unix Environment at home so that I can get more hand on experience since the class offered by unix vendors are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jung1975
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set variable to Home, then echo it to screen

Major Newbie here folks. I'm trying to set a variable to my Home directory and then echo it to the screen. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Anna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amidget
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to set $HOME?

Hi Everyone! I just want to know how to set $HOME. I cant see $HOME in my profile. Below is my profile. export PATH=.:/usr/bin:/etc:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:$HOME/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/sbin:/mai lservice/sybase/12.5/OCS-12_5/bin:/mailservice/sybase/config:. #export $PATH export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to set user home dir

I created a new user and changed their home directory to /export/home/mydir/ I verified in the passwd file that the home directory is set to the above and that owner of that directory is the new user and yet when I log in as that user I get the following message: No directory! Logging in with... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: some_one
14 Replies

5. Linux

SFTP user access restriction to his home dir

Hi Friends, I have installed a FTP Server on my Linux machine (Fedora 11). I want the ftp users to be restricted to their own home dir using sftp. But the said condition is met when the user logs in using ftp over port 21 and when the user logs in using sftp i.e. protocol 22, he/she has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pashy
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set server's ip address, router, network mask and set if it is an internal or external ip?

Hello, I need to write a program which sets server's ip address, router, network mask. Program also should set if it is an internal or external ip. Maybe someone can help me ? Any information from u is very useful :b: I stopped at .. :( #!/bin/sh A=`hostname -i` echo "server ip address is $A"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zagaruika
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix set home directory

Hi I've just made a directory, what command do I use to now make it the base directory? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beckywatson
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

sftp configuration | to lock users to their home folder.

In generally I use vsftp but I want to improve our security so I decide to use sftp instead of vsftp. We know that ssh,scp and sftp are in openssh server. How can I lock only sftp user to their home folder? And to prevent some users for sftp like root as such in vsftp daemon? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change sFTP home directory for particular user and from specific server

Hello Folks, Of course i came here for your favour :) How to set a defalult home directory for sFTP login ( at present users land in to their home directrory) when they connect from specific server. When server(A) sFTP's to Linux server(B) they land to thier home directory. I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thala
5 Replies

10. HP-UX

How to set variable for users with no home directory?

Hi I need to set $HISTFILE for a user with no home directory. How to go about it because this user does not have a .profilefile. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
5 Replies
SFTP-SERVER(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    SFTP-SERVER(8)

NAME
sftp-server -- SFTP server subsystem SYNOPSIS
sftp-server [-ehR] [-d start_directory] [-f log_facility] [-l log_level] [-P blacklisted_requests] [-p whitelisted_requests] [-u umask] sftp-server -Q protocol_feature DESCRIPTION
sftp-server is a program that speaks the server side of SFTP protocol to stdout and expects client requests from stdin. sftp-server is not intended to be called directly, but from sshd(8) using the Subsystem option. Command-line flags to sftp-server should be specified in the Subsystem declaration. See sshd_config(5) for more information. Valid options are: -d start_directory specifies an alternate starting directory for users. The pathname may contain the following tokens that are expanded at runtime: %% is replaced by a literal '%', %d is replaced by the home directory of the user being authenticated, and %u is replaced by the user- name of that user. The default is to use the user's home directory. This option is useful in conjunction with the sshd_config(5) ChrootDirectory option. -e Causes sftp-server to print logging information to stderr instead of syslog for debugging. -f log_facility Specifies the facility code that is used when logging messages from sftp-server. The possible values are: DAEMON, USER, AUTH, LOCAL0, LOCAL1, LOCAL2, LOCAL3, LOCAL4, LOCAL5, LOCAL6, LOCAL7. The default is AUTH. -h Displays sftp-server usage information. -l log_level Specifies which messages will be logged by sftp-server. The possible values are: QUIET, FATAL, ERROR, INFO, VERBOSE, DEBUG, DEBUG1, DEBUG2, and DEBUG3. INFO and VERBOSE log transactions that sftp-server performs on behalf of the client. DEBUG and DEBUG1 are equivalent. DEBUG2 and DEBUG3 each specify higher levels of debugging output. The default is ERROR. -P blacklisted_requests Specify a comma-separated list of SFTP protocol requests that are banned by the server. sftp-server will reply to any blacklisted request with a failure. The -Q flag can be used to determine the supported request types. If both a blacklist and a whitelist are specified, then the blacklist is applied before the whitelist. -p whitelisted_requests Specify a comma-separated list of SFTP protocol requests that are permitted by the server. All request types that are not on the whitelist will be logged and replied to with a failure message. Care must be taken when using this feature to ensure that requests made implicitly by SFTP clients are permitted. -Q protocol_feature Query protocol features supported by sftp-server. At present the only feature that may be queried is ``requests'', which may be used for black or whitelisting (flags -P and -p respectively). -R Places this instance of sftp-server into a read-only mode. Attempts to open files for writing, as well as other operations that change the state of the filesystem, will be denied. -u umask Sets an explicit umask(2) to be applied to newly-created files and directories, instead of the user's default mask. On some systems, sftp-server must be able to access /dev/log for logging to work, and use of sftp-server in a chroot configuration therefore requires that syslogd(8) establish a logging socket inside the chroot directory. SEE ALSO
sftp(1), ssh(1), sshd_config(5), sshd(8) T. Ylonen and S. Lehtinen, SSH File Transfer Protocol, draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-02.txt, October 2001, work in progress material. HISTORY
sftp-server first appeared in OpenBSD 2.8. AUTHORS
Markus Friedl <markus@openbsd.org> BSD
December 11, 2014 BSD