Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming WRT counter show me that line from a txt file Post 302164647 by shamrock on Tuesday 5th of February 2008 12:02:14 PM
Old 02-05-2008
Question

Code:
fh=fopen("abc1.txt","r");
if (fh ==NULL){
printf ("Error opening file: abc1.txt");
}

Is the code compiling alright? From the code you have posted it should dump because of how the input file is being specified specifically the code segment shown above. So how are you specifying the input filename to the compiled executable?

Here's the proper way...

Code:
fh = fopen(*++argv, "r");
if (!fh) {
   printf ("Error opening file: %s\n", *argv);
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to quickly show Nth line from the file

Hi all, How can I quickly show Nth line from the huge file(at least more than 15GB)? I used the following script but seems slower. See 2717298 th line. head -2717298 data0802.dat | tail -1 Thank you very much (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

i need to read the last line in a txt file

i'm a beginner in shell and i have a txt file that is updating every second or msec so i need a program to read the last line of this txt file is this possible to do? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: _-_shadow_-_
5 Replies

3. Programming

Reading a particular line from a .txt file

Hi, I have a .txt file which contains the x, y and z co-ordinates of particles which I am trying to cast for a particular compound. The no. of particles present is of the order of 2 billion and hence the size of the text file is of the order of a few Gigabytes. The particles have been casted layer... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mugga
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count per line in txt file

In a txt file called, eso.txt, I have: ...... 3 where process_status_flag = 70 and LISTENER_ID in (930.00, 931.00, 932.00, 933.00, 934.00) 4 group by LISTENER_ID 5 order by LISTENER_ID; LISTENER COUNT ----------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing Line in Txt File

So I have a python program that I run, which runs accordingly to options I have listed in a text file (ie user_prefs). Now there are many options listed in this user_prefs.txt, but the one of most interest to me is that of the file path of the time series. I have over a hundred of these time... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jimmyd24
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to append the date | abcddate.txt to the first line of my txt file

I want to add/append the info in the following format to my.txt file. 20130702|abcd20130702.txt FN|SN|DOB I tried the below script but it throws me some exceptions. <#!/bin/sh dt = date '+%y%m%d'members; echo $dt+|+members+$dt; /usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS="|"; OFS="|"; } { print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harik1982
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of fields then increment a counter reading line by line in a file

Hi, i have a scenario were i should compare a few fields from each line then increment a variable based on that. Example file 989878|8999|Y|0|Y|N|V 989878|8999|Y|0|N|N|V 989878|8999|Y|2344|Y|N|V i have 3 conditions to check and increment a variable on every line condition 1 if ( $3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on Adding one counter loop at the end of each line in a file

Hello All, I have file a.txt I want to add a counter loop at the end of each line in a file ill explain: i have a site h**p://test.test=Elite#1 i want to add a a counter to the number at the end of the file, that it will be like this urlLink//test.test=Elite#1 urlLink//test.test=Elite#2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexsus
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split Every Line In Txt Into Separate Txt File, Named Same As The Line

Hi All Is there a way to export every line into new txt file where by the title of each txt output are same as the line ? I have this txt files containing names: Kandra Vanhooser Rhona Menefee Reynaldo Hutt Houston Rafferty Charmaine Lord Albertine Poucher Juana Maes Mitch Lobel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switch line in txt file

Hi I have problem with replace line in txt file , I have this string: 144185 DISK Piece qqr8ot6l_1_1 -- 144186 DISK Piece ukr8pf2e_1_1 -- 144187 DISK Piece ter8p9gc_1_1 -- 144188 DISK Piece 4er8qb84_1_1 and (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: primo102
8 Replies
COUNTER(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						COUNTER(9)

NAME
counter -- SMP-friendly kernel counter implementation SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/systm.h> #include <sys/counter.h> counter_u64_t counter_u64_alloc(int wait); void counter_u64_free(counter_u64_t c); void counter_u64_add(counter_u64_t c, int64_t v); void counter_enter(); void counter_exit(); void counter_u64_add_protected(counter_u64_t c, int64_t v); uint64_t counter_u64_fetch(counter_u64_t c); void counter_u64_zero(counter_u64_t c); #include <sys/sysctl.h> SYSCTL_COUNTER_U64(parent, nbr, name, access, ptr, descr); SYSCTL_ADD_COUNTER_U64(ctx, parent, nbr, name, access, ptr, descr); DESCRIPTION
counter is a generic facility to create counters that can be utilized for any purpose (such as collecting statistical data). A counter is guaranteed to be lossless when several kernel threads do simultaneous updates. However, counter does not block the calling thread, also no atomic(9) operations are used for the update, therefore the counters can be used in any non-interrupt context. Moreover, counter has special optimisations for SMP environments, making counter update faster than simple arithmetic on the global variable. Thus counter is considered suitable for accounting in the performance-critical code pathes. counter_u64_alloc(wait) Allocate a new 64-bit unsigned counter. The wait argument is the malloc(9) wait flag, should be either M_NOWAIT or M_WAITOK. If M_NOWAIT is specified the operation may fail. counter_u64_free(c) Free the previously allocated counter c. counter_u64_add(c, v) Add v to c. The KPI does not guarantee any protection from wraparound. counter_enter() Enter mode that would allow to safely update several counters via counter_u64_add_protected(). On some machines this expands to critical(9) section, while on other is a nop. See IMPLEMENTATION DETAILS. counter_exit() Exit mode for updating several counters. counter_u64_add_protected(c, v) Same as counter_u64_add(), but should be preceded by counter_enter(). counter_u64_fetch(c) Take a snapshot of counter c. The data obtained is not guaranteed to reflect the real cumulative value for any moment. counter_u64_zero(c) Clear the counter c and set it to zero. SYSCTL_COUNTER_U64(parent, nbr, name, access, ptr, descr) Declare a static sysctl oid that would represent a counter. The ptr argument should be a pointer to allocated counter_u64_t. A read of the oid returns value obtained through counter_u64_fetch(). Any write to the oid zeroes it. SYSCTL_ADD_COUNTER_U64(ctx, parent, nbr, name, access, ptr, descr) Create a sysctl oid that would represent a counter. The ptr argument should be a pointer to allocated counter_u64_t. A read of the oid returns value obtained through counter_u64_fetch(). Any write to the oid zeroes it. IMPLEMENTATION DETAILS
On all architectures counter is implemented using per-CPU data fields that are specially aligned in memory, to avoid inter-CPU bus traffic due to shared use of the variables between CPUs. These are allocated using UMA_ZONE_PCPU uma(9) zone. The update operation only touches the field that is private to current CPU. Fetch operation loops through all per-CPU fields and obtains a snapshot sum of all fields. On amd64 a counter update is implemented as a single instruction without lock semantics, operating on the private data for the current CPU, which is safe against preemption and interrupts. On i386 architecture, when machine supports the cmpxchg8 instruction, this instruction is used. The multi-instruction sequence provides the same guarantees as the amd64 single-instruction implementation. On some architectures updating a counter require a critical(9) section. SEE ALSO
atomic(9), critical(9), locking(9), malloc(9), sysctl(9), uma(9) HISTORY
The counter facility first appeared in FreeBSD 10.0. AUTHORS
The counter facility was written by Gleb Smirnoff and Konstantin Belousov. BSD
February 7, 2014 BSD