Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File encoding in Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File encoding in Unix Post 302164245 by ssmallya on Monday 4th of February 2008 09:39:52 AM
Old 02-04-2008
Question Unix file encoding

Its got LANG=
What does this mean?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

no SOAP encoding under unix?

Under Unix however we had many many many many problems. We had to use Ansi2utf8(), repstr() and XMLval() to prevent "Invalid token" errors. And because we didn't know what the raw XML result was, it allways was a big problem to find the cause of it. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: devotedsinner
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the file encoding

Hello! The system is AIX 5.3 Give please command or script to get the file encoding Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinment
2 Replies

3. AIX

get the file encoding

Hello! The system is AIX 5.3 Give please command or script to get the file encoding (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinment
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cygwin vi XML file encoding problem

Hi, I have got a zip (binary) file transferred from MacOS (thus it has additional __MACOSX directory packed inside). On extracting this zip, there are few *.xml files available. When I opened this *.xml file in vim editor using Cygwin (on windows) the editor displayed in the bottom. I tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the file encoding and updating the file encoding?

Hi, I am beginner to Unix. My requirement is to validate the encoding used in the incoming file(csv,txt).If it is encoded with UTF-8 format,then the file should remain as such otherwise i need to chnage the encoding to UTF-8. Please advice me how to proceed on this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determing the encoding of a file

Hi, I am trying to determine the encoding for the file, because to convert to UTF-8, it seems as though I have to know the encoding of the source. Tried this file <filename> give me this: <filename>:data or International Language text Tried to see the locale and this is the output:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arabic encoding using Unix commands

I am using sed on Arabic file (utf-8 encoding) like bellow: sed 's/./& /g' file and all I get is: 1 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? I tried change the LANG variable to LANG=en_US.UTF-8 but I still get the same "?" output. What is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Viernes
1 Replies

9. Solaris

View file encoding then change encoding.

Hi all!! I´m using command file -i myfile.xml to validate XML file encoding, but it is just saying regular file . I´m expecting / looking an output as UTF8 or ANSI / ASCII Is there command to display the files encoding? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know file encoding?

how can i know what format a file is * example: UTF-8 ANSI UCS2 i am in a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
8 Replies
JV-CONVERT(1)								GNU							     JV-CONVERT(1)

NAME
jv-convert - Convert file from one encoding to another SYNOPSIS
jv-convert [OPTION] ... [INPUTFILE [OUTPUTFILE]] DESCRIPTION
jv-convert is a utility included with "libgcj" which converts a file from one encoding to another. It is similar to the Unix iconv util- ity. The encodings supported by jv-convert are platform-dependent. Currently there is no way to get a list of all supported encodings. OPTIONS
--encoding name --from name Use name as the input encoding. The default is the current locale's encoding. --to name Use name as the output encoding. The default is the "JavaSrc" encoding; this is ASCII with u escapes for non-ASCII characters. -i file Read from file. The default is to read from standard input. -o file Write to file. The default is to write to standard output. --reverse Swap the input and output encodings. --help Print a help message, then exit. --version Print version information, then exit. SEE ALSO
COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001, 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with the Invariant Sections being ``GNU General Public License'', the Front- Cover texts being (a) (see below), and with the Back-Cover Texts being (b) (see below). A copy of the license is included in the man page gfdl(7). gcc-3.2.2 2003-02-25 JV-CONVERT(1)