Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File encoding in Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File encoding in Unix Post 302164236 by fpmurphy on Monday 4th of February 2008 09:02:49 AM
Old 02-04-2008
Try the locale utility. It will display your current locale settings.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

no SOAP encoding under unix?

Under Unix however we had many many many many problems. We had to use Ansi2utf8(), repstr() and XMLval() to prevent "Invalid token" errors. And because we didn't know what the raw XML result was, it allways was a big problem to find the cause of it. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: devotedsinner
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the file encoding

Hello! The system is AIX 5.3 Give please command or script to get the file encoding Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinment
2 Replies

3. AIX

get the file encoding

Hello! The system is AIX 5.3 Give please command or script to get the file encoding (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinment
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cygwin vi XML file encoding problem

Hi, I have got a zip (binary) file transferred from MacOS (thus it has additional __MACOSX directory packed inside). On extracting this zip, there are few *.xml files available. When I opened this *.xml file in vim editor using Cygwin (on windows) the editor displayed in the bottom. I tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the file encoding and updating the file encoding?

Hi, I am beginner to Unix. My requirement is to validate the encoding used in the incoming file(csv,txt).If it is encoded with UTF-8 format,then the file should remain as such otherwise i need to chnage the encoding to UTF-8. Please advice me how to proceed on this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determing the encoding of a file

Hi, I am trying to determine the encoding for the file, because to convert to UTF-8, it seems as though I have to know the encoding of the source. Tried this file <filename> give me this: <filename>:data or International Language text Tried to see the locale and this is the output:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arabic encoding using Unix commands

I am using sed on Arabic file (utf-8 encoding) like bellow: sed 's/./& /g' file and all I get is: 1 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? I tried change the LANG variable to LANG=en_US.UTF-8 but I still get the same "?" output. What is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Viernes
1 Replies

9. Solaris

View file encoding then change encoding.

Hi all!! I´m using command file -i myfile.xml to validate XML file encoding, but it is just saying regular file . I´m expecting / looking an output as UTF8 or ANSI / ASCII Is there command to display the files encoding? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know file encoding?

how can i know what format a file is * example: UTF-8 ANSI UCS2 i am in a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
8 Replies
CREATE 
CONVERSION(7) SQL Commands CREATE CONVERSION(7) NAME
CREATE CONVERSION - define a new encoding conversion SYNOPSIS
CREATE [ DEFAULT ] CONVERSION name FOR source_encoding TO dest_encoding FROM funcname DESCRIPTION
CREATE CONVERSION defines a new conversion between character set encodings. Also, conversions that are marked DEFAULT can be used for auto- matic encoding conversion between client and server. For this purpose, two conversions, from encoding A to B and from encoding B to A, must be defined. To be able to create a conversion, you must have EXECUTE privilege on the function and CREATE privilege on the destination schema. PARAMETERS
DEFAULT The DEFAULT clause indicates that this conversion is the default for this particular source to destination encoding. There should be only one default encoding in a schema for the encoding pair. name The name of the conversion. The conversion name can be schema-qualified. If it is not, the conversion is defined in the current schema. The conversion name must be unique within a schema. source_encoding The source encoding name. dest_encoding The destination encoding name. funcname The function used to perform the conversion. The function name can be schema-qualified. If it is not, the function will be looked up in the path. The function must have the following signature: conv_proc( integer, -- source encoding ID integer, -- destination encoding ID cstring, -- source string (null terminated C string) internal, -- destination (fill with a null terminated C string) integer -- source string length ) RETURNS void; NOTES
Use DROP CONVERSION to remove user-defined conversions. The privileges required to create a conversion might be changed in a future release. EXAMPLES
To create a conversion from encoding UTF8 to LATIN1 using myfunc: CREATE CONVERSION myconv FOR 'UTF8' TO 'LATIN1' FROM myfunc; COMPATIBILITY
CREATE CONVERSION is a PostgreSQL extension. There is no CREATE CONVERSION statement in the SQL standard. SEE ALSO
ALTER CONVERSION [alter_conversion(7)], CREATE FUNCTION [create_function(7)], DROP CONVERSION [drop_conversion(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 CREATE CONVERSION(7)