Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell program:Help required on file formating Post 302164152 by sjday on Monday 4th of February 2008 04:10:31 AM
Old 02-04-2008
Possible solution

Create a awk file called neatcols with the following contents

{
printf "%-20s %s\n", \
$1, substr($0, index($0,$2))
}

then run it in

awk -f neatcols file3 > file4

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

A C program required for portability

I have to solve a problem for my wife who is engaged in Research in Breast Cancer. 1. She has frequently to search a long single line of alphabetic characters (lower case) for an exact match of a string. e.g.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmsinghe
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very Urgent help required in Shell Program

How do I Ftp, and rename multiple files in one unix script. I have to send it with .tmp extension , then rename it to .txt after FTP is done . I need to do a Mass rename of more than 1 file in a shell script , Urgent help required. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Suppandi
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent help required in deleting a line without opening a file usinga shell script

Hi, I need a help in deleting a line matching a particular pattern in a file using shell script without opening the file. The file is a .c/.cpp file. Is it possible? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help required on file formating

I have two files file1 and file2 as shown below: file1: name nameabc bcd nameabcdefg file2: age age1111 age2345 age6743 I have pasted one file on the other with the delimiter "|" and the resulttant file is: name|age nameabc|age1111 bcd|age2345 nameabcdefg|age6743 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udiptya
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting required fields from a test file in required fromat in unix

My data is something like shown below. date1 date2 aaa bbbb ccccc date3 date4 dddd eeeeeee ffffffffff ggggg hh I want the output like this date1date2 aaa eeeeee I serached in the forum but didn't find the exact matching solution. Please help. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple program help required

The circumfrence of a circle is #!/usr/bin/perl print 2 * 3.141592654 * 12.50 \n"; # pi= 3.141592654 # r= 12.50 I need a simple program showing me all the steps..to modify the above to prompt for and accept a radius from the person running the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Q2wert
3 Replies

7. Programming

Why is required to leave an empty line at the end of a C program?

I know it looks like a stupid question, but i really wanna know the reason. Actually, i think it's because the c compiler will detect it as the end of file "EOF" of the program, but, am i wrong? because it compiles it anyway, but keep showing warnings like "no new line at the end of file". I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: semash!
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me! Format output file using shell program

Hi, I have following input file. I want to generate output file in specific format using shell program. The input file has atleast few thousands of lines, the below are some sample lines. Input file: "ORDER NO"|"ORDER AMT"|"LINE ITEM"|"LINE AMT"|"SALES COMMISION %" ORD3456|5000|LIN345|30|25%... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsubha
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help required in program

I have below code, i need to modify it, to search for files (*.php,*.css,*.html) in those directores which have 777 permission, how to modify this code. Because it is moving all files. while true do sleep 60 DATE=$(date +%Y-%m-%d) # Creates dir only if it... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
21 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required with a file rename shell script

Hello everyone, Posting here after a long time, been away from unix world lately and it seems I have forgotten my shell scripting completely. I have a requirement where a csv file contains following columns: Full Registration VIN Stock... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
14 Replies
XZDIFF(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xzdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), or lzop(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp(1) or diff(1). If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported compression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncompressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp(1) or diff(1) is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), lzop(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2011-03-19 XZDIFF(1)