Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cant boot/install from CD
Operating Systems Solaris cant boot/install from CD Post 302163928 by ppass on Sunday 3rd of February 2008 10:49:28 AM
Old 02-03-2008
cant boot/install from CD

Hi all ,

I have an E2900 SPARC IV that has Solaris 10 installed , I am trying to replace solaris 10 with soalris 9/04 , But the installation is giving me an error:

Cannot assemble drivers for root /ssm@0,0/pci@18,700000/pci@4/ide@2/cdrom@0,0:b
Cannot mount root on /ssm@0,0/pci@18,700000/pci@4/ide@2/cdrom@0,0:b fstype ufs
panic[cpu0]/thread=140a000: vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root

has anybody seen this error before or knows what it points to , I have checked the solaris version that i am using for the installation and it supports the current hardware ....

I am having doubts that the problem is related to the fact that the Solaris OS does not have the necessary drivers for that IDE adapter
incorporated onto the bootable install CD-ROM , I have checked that on SUNSOLVE and it says the same but on SUNSOLVE the CD_ROM is a PCI- SCSI3 .

thanks in advance for your help .
Cheers

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Boot into linux after Win98 install

Hey all, I hope there is an easy fix for this. I have Linux Mandrake 7.2 installed and completely configured on it's own set of partitions, but I had to reinstall my windows partition and hence wiped out my LILO boot option. My BIOS isn't seeing the partitions with Linux on it, so I can't just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ober5861
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

install linux from cd, for dual boot w/98

I am a new user w/Linux-Unix, i want to know were i have to start first, install linux first or win 98 first, i have a 30-gig harddrive on my home pc , do i have enough space to run linux and 98 w/dual booting (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe barone
10 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 9 install cd boot fail

Hi I hv try to install Solaris 9 on a SPARC machine. The machine now is with Solaris 10 OS. I try to load a Solaris 9 installation cd in and use "boot cdrom" on ok promt, but it give me "no boot device found" when it boot up. and when i use fsck, the system show me an error with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niuniu
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Boot cdrom - install

Hi community, Does anyone can tell me the difference between "boot cdrom" and "boot cdrom - install" ? Thank you very much:D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Install boot required in SVM ??

I have setup mirroring for root disk. As per Sun SVM process, there is no need to installbootblk BigAdmin Submitted Tech Tip: Boot Disk Mirroring Using Solaris Volume Manager Software But technically speaking, if we want to boot from 2nd disk which is mirrored, we have to install the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
7 Replies

6. Fedora

Full install to SDHC but no boot.

I have a laptop with a card reader using an 8GB SDHC. I have the BIOS option to boot from it along with from a 1.6GB USB stick in a USB port. I am trying to be able to install linux full install from a live CD, currently Fedora 16 but have tried Linux Mint and Ubuntu, but the installs wont boot,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1speedyrider
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Cannot Boot Cd TO Install Solaris 11

Recently our school acquired a number of Sun Blade 100 systems from a university that was previously using them as a computational cluster. We intend to rig them to do the same thing, but they failed to give us the head node, and all the machines we have are still configured to boot from network.... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alphonse509
16 Replies

8. Solaris

Net Boot with Flash install

I have a blade 6000 chassis with a T6340 blade. The blade took a dump and I am trying to rebuild it with a Flash Archive. I am using net boot from an E2900 and the flash is located on a an array that is attached to my v245 management server. I can net boot and I can select flash install. When I put... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ryan_ford
1 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)